An unusually decorated doorway is no less significant for the design of any interior, than the design of a window opening or a successful selection of furniture. The arches in the doorway, the photos of which are striking with the unusual shapes and designs, are made of various materials. Their choice significantly depends on the existing design of the room, and of course, on the finances that are planned for the implementation of the project. After all, the price range for such products is very wide. Large arched structures perform the task of zoning rooms, and deaf ones are secluded niches. The standard dimensions of the doorway make it easy to arrange an arch in it, which will be an excellent solution to the problem of small rooms.
Pros and cons of arched structures in doorways
If you have decided to radically change the interior of your apartment and at the same time get rid of the doors in some rooms, you need to be sure to know about all the advantages and disadvantages of arched doorways.
If you look closely, you can highlight the following advantages of the arches in the doorways:
- they visually enlarge the space. This effect is achieved by erasing the boundaries between the two rooms, as a result of which the area really increases;
- free entry of fresh air. The absence of a door allows air to circulate freely between adjacent rooms;
- possibility of organizing zoning of a huge living space. With the help of the arch it is quite possible to separate the kitchen from the dining room, divide the living room into zones, while the holistic perception of the whole room is preserved;
- widening viewing angle. You can watch what is happening at the moment in the room next to you, for example, watch the stove or a small child;
- aesthetics and style. The arch looks much more interesting than a regular door, it helps to create a completely unique interior.
The arches have some logical flaws that do not allow them to be built anyhow where:
- complete lack of sound insulation. Absolutely everything that happens in the adjacent room will be heard perfectly anyway;
- the spread of odors throughout the apartment. This is especially sensitive when there is an arch between the kitchen and the living room;
- the impossibility of no privacy. The arch that replaces the door makes it impossible to be alone in a large family.
It is necessary to understand the types of arches in order to better understand how the design of doorways without doors will look like. Photos of various options will help to correctly solve this difficult task.
Helpful advice! To address the issue of feasibility of erecting an arched structure in a house, it is necessary to study the general style of your interior. In addition, it is required to determine the functional purpose of the premises and approximately plan both options: with or without doors.
A well-constructed arch should ideally correspond to the style of the interior and, at the same time, underline the doorway itself. To do this, the first thing you need to decide on the project and choose the most suitable type for the manufacture of arched structures in the doorway. How to make the arch yourself, we will look at later. Now we will list and describe the main types of arches:
- round arch design physically expands the doorway. It is best to build for zoning a small living room-studio or at the entrance from the hallway;
- The classic elongated ellipse is familiar to everyone. This is what we used to call the arch – the rounded upper part, which has a smooth transition to the side surfaces;
- rectangular. It is also called the portal. In fact, this is a regular rectangular doorway in which the door is missing and the door unit is replaced with decorative moldings;
- portal having rounding. The same rectangular opening, but with smooth and rounded corners on top;
- asymmetrical arch. The most interesting and unusual form, requires the mandatory construction of the frame and plating it with drywall. Any form and configuration can be made.
In addition to these basic types of arches, designers tend to allocate additional arches by style: Gothic, modern or British, Empire, Slavic, Thai, Roman.
The arches in the doorway, the photos of which are most often found, are made of brick, wood, natural and artificial stone, aluminum, plastic, but most often of plasterboard. This is natural, since such a material as drywall is very versatile and convenient in installation and processing. Almost any curvilinear shapes can be made from it. It is environmentally friendly and will not harm anyone’s health, even small children. The price of drywall is all available.
Helpful advice! You can easily install spotlights in the drywall arches. They will add extra charm to the entire structure.
Perfect for the design of doorways arched plastic. In contrast to the same drywall, it does not need to be additionally covered with anything. Many panels have their own pattern. This material is also quite simple to install and maintain. The panels are attached to the liquid nails directly to the wall itself, while for some materials a frame is needed.
The stone and brick design of doorways without doors looks very rich. Photos of such options are very elegant. If brick arches are made by creating a real masonry, then artificial stone trim is made on the surface of drywall. The result in both cases turns out amazing.
There are ready-made designs of wood or particleboard with different coatings. Their installation, for obvious reasons, is very simple. It is only necessary to dismantle the old door block and purchase a design that fits the size of a standard doorway.
Helpful advice! Wooden arches in the doorway, the photos of which look very nice and presentable, can be ordered to the master, engaged in wood carving. Then your design will be exclusive at all.
Before you make an arch in the doorway, you need to dismantle the entire door block completely. To do this, first remove the door from its hinges, after which the block itself is disassembled with a grinder or crowbar. After that, they either leave an opening of the same size, or change them according to the project upwards or downwards. After that, sweep all the garbage and dust from the construction.
At the second stage, the assembly of the arch structure is made. The method of installation depends on the selected material. The rules for each of them are different. At the final stage, if necessary, make the final finishing of the arch in the doorway. Photos of the use of various finishing materials and decorative plates can be found without difficulty.
The use of arched structures in the design of living rooms will create in the interior of a house or apartment that highlight that your guests will always pay attention to.