Decorative panels for interior walls have recently become massively used for interior decoration. Despite this, they were able to pick up a significant share of the market for finishing materials. All this happened because there is a huge variety of types of this easy-to-install material. Using panels, you can hide such surface irregularities that cannot be masked with any other material without serious costly repairs. For interior decoration panels for walls, photos of which are in large quantities on the sites of building stores, are perfectly suited. It is necessary to assume nevertheless that not absolutely all their types are recommended for application in premises. To understand the intricacies of this topic, it would be nice to get acquainted with the important characteristics of the most famous types of wall panels.
Decorative panels for interior walls: types and their characteristics
Wall panels are made of very different materials. They can be natural, but more often artificial raw materials are used. A variety of shapes and sizes of wall panels allows you to combine different types, creating original compositions suitable for any interior. The panels differ not only in material, but also in their geometric form, the method of mounting on the wall, the presence of texture and design.
Geometrically, there is the following classification:
- Rack panels typesetting. They are the usual plank of various materials. The length of such elements ranges from 2400 to 3700 mm. This is due to the fact that it was possible to pick up products for any height of the walls. The width of the panels also varies in a large range from 125 to 300 mm, thickness – from 8 to 12 mm. Rack panels sheathe the walls of small areas. Installation of this material on the surface of the wall is carried out through the installation of a supporting frame, which is made of metal or wooden guides. Between themselves, such panels are connected with spikes and grooves that are present at the end of each product. The panels are fastened to the crate with screws or staples from the stapler, which are driven into the slots. Most often, the slatted appearance of the panels is made of chipboard, MDF, PVC and fiberboard.
- Tiled panels typesetting. They have a square shape from 300 x 300 to 980 x 980 mm. With the help of them lay out the picture on the wall. To do this, take the components of different colors and shades. You can get, similar to a mosaic ornament, if you show a little imagination. Tiled panels are fixed to the wall with clips or glue. They are made of the same materials as the rack panels.
- Sheet panels. These are the panels most convenient for installation on the big areas. Their sizes reach 1220Х2440 mm, and thickness from 3 to 6 mm. The basis of the sheet panels is a multilayer formation imitating wood, stone or tile. These sheets are mounted on glue, and they are joined together by various moldings. They are made of fiberboard, which is thoroughly impregnated with mineral resin.
In addition to these basic types of wall panels, there are also specific ones that are used to construct walls and partitions. They can be in the form of sandwich panels filled with insulation. They make frame houses and cottages.
Helpful advice! When building a frame country house, you can use ready-made wall panels for interior decoration. Photos of such structures are often laid out in the network.
Decorative panels for interior walls are made of many materials. Their consumer qualities and cost depend on it. Consider the most popular materials used for the production of this finishing material.
They are created from solid solid wood and varnished. Alder, oak, cedar or maple are used more often. Sometimes, to reduce the cost of products, manufacturers go for such a trick: the top layer is made of expensive wood species, and the substrate is made of pine or spruce. The fibers of each layer are laid perpendicularly relative to each other, which prevents deformation of the material. This type of panels will fit perfectly into the interior of the dwelling, as it has an exceptional environmental friendliness. In order to allow the panels of wood to be mounted in wet areas, they need to be waxed. This type of panel has a gorgeous appearance. Unfortunately, these beautiful panels are very expensive.
Helpful advice! Using the style of natural wood in the interior, it is necessary to understand that an excess of wooden surfaces will give the room a too strict office look. Therefore, when installing wood panels, you need to consider techniques that will smooth out the negative point.
This material is made of wood shavings pressed and impregnated with glue. The chipboard base is veneered from the top with a variety of finishing materials. Therefore, these panels have an attractive appearance, sometimes not inferior wooden. However, the quality of these products is far from ideal. After all, chipboard does not have such strength as an array of wood. Especially such panels are afraid of moisture, with the penetration of which they simply stratify.
Decorative panels for interior walls of this material have a high moisture resistance, since the fiberboard is subjected to special treatment that improves this quality. Produce fiberboard from wood chips and bark with the addition of paraffin, rosin, and pectol. From this material often make sheet panels. An image in the form of ornaments and even realistic images by photo printing is applied on the outside of the sheets. In interior design, this type of finishing material can often be found in the kitchen as a water-repellent apron over the kitchen set. Framed with moldings, these panels look great.
Helpful advice! The fixing of MDF panels to the walls should be carried out not only by moldings at the edges, but also glued to the wall the entire surface of the panel. Otherwise, the central part of the sheet may swell over time, forming an unevenness.
The material is also made from wood chips, but only by the dry method. The process takes place at a very high temperature with the achievement of high pressure. In this case, the carbamide resin binds all the particles of the material. It turns out a monolithic material that is not subject to chemical attack from the outside. Such MDF panels are not afraid of water absolutely. This circumstance allows you to make of them coatings for walls in bathrooms and bathrooms.
Polyvinyl chloride is a widely used material in the modern world. The demand for it does not fall with time. The explanation for this is quite simple:
- Their lifespan is practically unlimited, because plastic even decomposes in the ground for decades.
- They are water resistant, quite fire resistant, although dangerous when heated, as they emit poisonous gas.
- These panels are easy to clean from dirt. This hygiene allows their use in appropriate places.
- This material is very flexible for processing, since the panels can be cut with a regular sharp knife.
Thanks to these qualities, PVC panels are mounted in bathrooms, in various kitchens and in bathrooms. Often they are also used for covering loggias and balconies, because such panels are not afraid of low temperatures.
PVC panels have a significant drawback – low environmental friendliness, which prevents their use in living rooms. However, they found their niche in a slightly different place.
Helpful advice! The use of PVC panels for walls in the bathroom requires a special, specific approach. All joints and corners need to be coated with sealant to prevent moisture from entering there. This will help avoid the formation of mold spores and fungal colonies beneath them.
If you believe to use for interior decoration panels for walls, photos of which you like, then you need to thoroughly examine their properties and installation features. It is necessary to accurately represent for which premises of the apartment they are suitable, and for which not. If all the specified nuances are meticulously taken into account, then the surfaces lined with wall panels will serve for a long time.