A shady garden on the backyard and dacha will be a great place for a family holiday, especially if you make a little effort and make it comfortable with various accessories and small structures, such as sheds, gazebos, benches, etc. Make a masterpiece and place a garden swing made of wood on the plot with your own hands: you can find photos and drawings, dimensions and basic parameters for construction in this article.
Features of creating a wooden swing for gardening: characteristics and types of structures
To create a garden swing, three main materials are most often used. The list includes wood, plastic and metal. Undoubtedly, each of these materials has its own advantages and disadvantages. But when it comes to the drawings of the garden swing with your own hands, you will not find more practical and convenient raw materials than wood.
The wooden swing has only one drawback, which concerns the operation of any products made from wood. Such constructions without the use of appropriate protective measures can suffer greatly from the influence of negative environmental factors.
These factors include exposure:
- direct sunlight;
- mold and mildew;
- sharp temperature changes;
- rotting processes.
Helpful advice! To prevent premature spoilage of wood, it is enough to install the structure under a canopy or to stretch an awning over it. With this you will protect the swing from the harmful effects of precipitation and sun. Special protective equipment and antiseptic compounds solve the problem with parasites, fungi, rotting processes and moisture.
Wood has excellent technical and operational characteristics. Due to the properties of this material, you can create a truly comfortable and beautiful design.
Features created by the hands of a garden swing made of wood:
- environmental friendliness. Since wood belongs to materials of natural origin, products made from it are completely safe for human health;
- external aesthetics. The constructions are able to fit into any landscape and garden design, since the main part of the environment consists of natural materials (stone, wood) and vegetation. Compared to metal products, wooden structures greatly benefit from an aesthetic plan and can support the exterior of any country house;
- security. Due to its softness, wood is easy to use and operate, it can reduce the number of injuries. The most advantageous advantage is manifested in the event that you intend to perform the construction of a swing;
- simple installation system. Anyone with the simplest skills in building and handling wood can do the building of the swing;
- versatility. This type of material is quite easily amenable to various types of processing (grinding, cutting, cutting). Due to this, any of the garden swing with your own hands from wood, the photo of which you will most like, can be done by you personally without involving specialists in this process. Wood allows you to perform single-type design or swing with a large capacity, made in the form of sofas.
Note! The cost of purchasing material is not high. In addition to this, creating products yourself, you save on the services of craftsmen.
If you have decided to start creating a swing at your summer cottage yourself, first of all, you should decide on the type of structure you want to install, and determine the appropriate place to place it. To facilitate and accelerate the design and preparation stage, use a photo of a swing to give your own hands in wood, the drawings of which are quite a few on the Internet.
The classification of the garden swing is quite extensive. In this case, the main types of structures are presented:
- family – have a high capacity. The design is based on a long bench, which plays the role of a large seat that can simultaneously accommodate up to 5 people. In most cases, this type of swing is equipped with its own canopy, which protects from the sun’s rays and bad weather;
- children – designs can have a significant number of modifications. Most often the main components of such a product are the supports, a small seat and fasteners. It is important to ensure a full level of safety for the child. For these purposes, the design should be provided with protective elements that prevent the fall of the baby. These elements include a comfortable back, handrails on the sides, a partition located in front, seat belts that fix the child inside the seat;
- portable – products with compact dimensions and light weight. These characteristics allow not only to move the swing around the site, but also to put them in the car for transportation to another place for the rest. As a rule, the fastening of such products is carried out on a tree branch or on a prefabricated support.
Any type of construction, which is carried out on the territory of a suburban land plot, begins with the design stage and the selection of an appropriate site.
Note! The principle, according to which the choice of a place for construction is carried out, concerns not only a children’s swing made of wood. These requirements apply to other designs.
As far as possible, a plot with a flat surface should be selected on the backyard territory. It is desirable that this zone was sheltered from the sun and precipitation. An ideal place to create a swing is a section under a tree where a thick shadow falls. Mounting on a porch protected by a carport is allowed.
All these conditions directly affect the level of comfort of operation, as sitting on a swing seat, hot under the sun, is unpleasant and uncomfortable. And the unobstructed effects of rain can damage the structure.
It is also worth taking into account the fact that as the sun moves across the sky, the shadow cast by a tree or other objects will move. For installation, you should choose a place where the shadow will stand at noon. In this segment of the day the sun has the strongest and most aggressive effect.
If we talk about universal designs, the swing type, mounted on A-shaped supports, will be a real object of rest for the whole family. And you can install them both in large summer cottages and in small gardens near the house. And the process itself is not expensive in terms of time and effort resources.
The list of mandatory tools for work should include:
- a tape measure and a pencil (the tape measure can be replaced with a measuring tape);
- jigsaw mechanical type or electric;
- circular saw;
- a hacksaw;
- angle for angle measurement (combined type);
- rafter pins;
- check square;
- saw goats;
- surface gauge and plane;
- hammer, screwdriver, clamps, wrenches;
- chisel (25 mm);
- electric drill with a set of drills (10, 8 and 4.5 mm);
- grinding bar.
Note! Of course, it is much easier and faster to purchase ready-made structures in the store. But in this case, it is unlikely to fully meet all your requirements with regard to design, size, etc. Creating a garden swing with your own hands from wood will allow you to endow the structure with all the necessary characteristics.
At the initial stage, the preparation of materials for creating a garden swing with your own hands is carried out, the photo of which you liked the most. On the basis of the drawings, it is easy to understand what amount of blanks will be required for assembling the structure and what dimensions they should have.
Dimension table for creating blanks:
|Detail in design||The dimensions of the transverse part of the workpiece, cm||Final length, cm||The required number of blanks, pcs.|
|Frame part of the design|
|Bar (for seat)||3.5×7||120||2|
In addition, to interconnect the above blanks into a single structure, you will need fasteners with different parameters.