Shed roof is not as popular in our area as the classic gable, but it has a number of its own advantages. The installation of this design allows not only to save on materials, but also to reduce the windage of the roof, as well as to give the building an original look. On the Internet, you can find everything you need in order to build such a structure as a lean-to roof with your own hands: drawings and photos, video instructions and much more.
House project with a lean-to roof: what you need to consider
The first thing to consider is the nuances of the structure on which the roof is mounted. For example, if you plan to build a gazebo with a lean-to roof, then it can be made unventilated. This means that there is no need for special structural features that will allow air to pass through the roof covering. The non-ventilated structure is sufficiently cleaned from debris and snow in a timely manner so that the load on the supports does not exceed the permissible rate.
The ventilated roof is installed in a residential area or where natural air circulation is necessary. Ventilation is provided through the use of breathable materials for insulation, steam and waterproofing, and in the roofing material at the edges of the roof made special ventilation holes. This design requires more careful care, as it is easier to penetrate moisture.
If you are planning a shed roof for a bath or other construction, then the very important point is the direction of the ramp. It is selected based on the direction in which the wind in your area most often blows. With the correct location of the slope, as well as the optimum angle of its slope, the wind itself will blow garbage, water and snow from the roof. If this parameter is calculated incorrectly, then with a high wind speed the roof may be torn down.
It is necessary to take into account the direction and average wind speed at the design stage of the roof structure. You can find this data at your local meteorological center.
The slope of a single-pitch roof for a garage, bathhouse, apartment building or an outbuilding depends not only on the strength and direction of the wind, but also on the type of roofing material that you decide to use. Modern building codes recommend adhering to the following parameters:
- for slate, metal tile, corrugated board or ondulin the angle of inclination must be more than 12 °. An angle of 6-12 ° is allowed, but then you have to take care of the high level of tightness of the horizontal and vertical joints between the sheets of material. Otherwise, moisture will leak into them, which will negatively affect the service life of the whole structure, as well as the level of its hydro- and thermal insulation;
- the tilt angle for tiles should be not less than 10 °, for cement-sand or ceramic, and not less than 12 ° – for bituminous. If you do with your own hands a single-shed garage roof made of steel sheets, then the angle must be at least 17 °;
- for shale or asbestos cement, the optimum angle of inclination is one that exceeds 27 °;
- for all other roofing materials, this value varies from 20 to 30 degrees.
Helpful advice! If you do not want the roof to be pushed through fallen snow, blown away by the wind or flooded with rain, then the slope should be made more than 30 °, choosing for this the appropriate material.
In the photo of houses with a single-pitch roof, it is clearly seen that a variety of types of roofing materials can be used for such a construction. When choosing the best option you need to take into account certain criteria.
Type of construction. Roof requirements are largely dependent on the purpose of the building. Between a dwelling house, a bath or a garage there are significant differences in the design features that must be considered when designing the roof. For example, for residential premises you need to equip a durable, reliable and attractive roof, and outbuildings can be covered with cheap material without any special aesthetic delights.
Ondulin sheet dimensions. Installation instructions ondulin. Step-by-step guide on laying of ondulin on a sloping roof. Features of the creation and design of individual elements ondulinovogo roof.
The service life of the building material. Of course, the durability of the roof in most cases depends on the quality of its installation, but the chosen roofing material also matters. When choosing it is worth considering that the average service life, for example, of natural tile is 100 years, and flexible – 20-40. If you are planning to do hand-made wood with a lean-to roof, then you can use Ondulin, the durability of which ranges from 15 to 25 years.
Roof form. If you plan to do the usual straight slope, for this purpose you can use any type of material. To implement projects of single-pitch roofs with a large number of superstructures in the form of turrets, observation windows or steps, do not use regular tiles, as the material consumption will be too large. If you need a complex form of a slope, then to cover it, it is better to purchase shingles or other similar material with a large number of small elements.
Financial opportunities. When taking this factor into account, it is necessary to consider not only the cost of the roofing material itself, but also the truss system for it, fasteners and installation. The most economical options are traditionally profiled, ondulin or metal tile. For installation of a roof made of ceramic or cement-sand tiles, a complicated system of rafters will be needed, as well as a fairly complicated installation, so these materials will cost much more.
The complexity of laying pavement. Projects, photos of houses with a single-pitch roof always look attractive, but do not forget that, most likely, professional builders were involved in the installation. If you do not have specialized building skills, then this process can be much more difficult, and the result is worse than in the photo. Therefore, it is not necessary to choose the most difficult material for installation.
If you want the roof to look attractive from an aesthetic point of view, as well as have high performance, then pay great attention to the complexity of installation of a roof covering.
Appearance. This parameter entirely depends on your aesthetic preferences, as well as the general style in which the construction is made. As can be seen in the photo, garages with single-sided roofs can also look very attractive, not to mention residential buildings. The main thing here is to choose the right texture and color of the roofing material.
Once you have familiarized yourself with all the above parameters, you can proceed directly to the purchase of material. The modern construction market offers the following options:
- professional flooring;
- metal tile;
- ceramic tiles;
- aluminum sheets;
- roofing steel;
- membrane coating.
If you are wondering how to make a single-pitch roof on a shed or other similar structure, then you should consider the advantages and disadvantages of each type of material.
The metal tile is a sheet roofing material which thickness of a sheet makes up to 0,6 mm. In the section, the tile sheet has a layered structure, and the top layer is coated with a special polymer coating. Due to such structural features, the material is characterized by a high level of reliability and durability.
The service life, which is indicated by the manufacturer, is about 15 years, but with proper installation and maintenance it can be twice as long. In addition, the material boasts the following advantages:
- well withstands heavy loads – up to 1500 kg / m ?;
- characterized by an attractive appearance and a wide variety of design options;
- it is easy to install, which allows its use even for beginners in the construction industry;
- it is not uncommon to see in the photo of private houses single-sided roofs of metal tiles, which clearly show that the surface of the material imitates natural tile;
- complete with the material are all necessary for mounting fasteners and components;
- has a low weight, which reduces the load on the rafter system;
- is relatively inexpensive.
There are not so many significant defects in this type of roofing material, which makes it very popular in the market. Features of its design can enhance the sound effects of wind, hail or rain, and with a complex configuration of the roof turns out too much material consumption.
Helpful advice! For a metal roofing roof, it is important to arrange enhanced noise insulation, since the rain banging on the roof will not appeal to everyone.
The peculiarities of installation of this type of material include the fact that the optimal angle of inclination of the slope for it should be not less than 12 °. Also, when installing insulation, it is absolutely necessary to make a vapor barrier layer, otherwise condensate will form on the inside of the tile sheets. The lathing, according to most projects of frame houses with a single-sided metal roof, is made of timber.
According to the results, it can be said that the metal tile is one of the most unpretentious in the installation of roofing materials, which has a large number of advantages.
The professional flooring is corrugated metal sheets. A single-ply roof made of corrugated flooring does not look as attractive as metal roofing, but the material itself will cost you less, so it is a good option with a limited budget. The advantages of the material include the following:
- long service life – with proper installation, it is about 20 years;
- the small weight of sheets of material that facilitates its installation by the hands;
- high level of strength;
- prostate in the installation and simplicity in operation;
- a wide range of colors for the implementation of your design ideas;
- large selection of sheet sizes.
A good option for the construction of a shed roof of corrugated board – on the garage and other outbuildings. It should be borne in mind that the material also has its drawbacks:
- enhanced noise effects from rain, hail or wind gusts. You can get rid of this only by installing a thick layer of noise isolation and qualitatively mounting the entire roofing pie;
- exposure to corrosion. If you make a shed roof of corrugated flooring with your own hands, then you need to monitor the integrity of the polymer coating material. In places where it is absent, rust quickly forms, therefore such areas should be immediately covered with a special compound;
- inconspicuous appearance compared to other roofing materials.
As for the installation features of such a roof, they consist in the fact that when laying you need to act with extreme caution, and you should only step on the bottom of the wave, otherwise you risk deforming the sheet. If you want to know how to make a single-pitch roof on a garage or an economic extension so that it lasts as long as possible, then the angle of inclination should be 20-45 degrees. In this case, snow or debris will not accumulate on the roof, due to the smooth and slippery surface of the material.
Rafter system for the roof of corrugated is the same as for other types of roofing materials. Dry boards and parallel bars are used for this, best of all, if they are made of softwood. The material itself is characterized by a very low weight, so additional reinforcement of the rafters and underfill beams can be avoided.
In the photo of gazebos with a single-pitch roof made of corrugated board, it can be seen that waterproofing and insulation are not necessary for this type of construction, just a single layer of material is enough. Of course, if you need to build a shed with a lean-to roof from this material, then there is no way to do without a minimum roofing pie.
The professional flooring is fixed by means of self-tapping screws. Attach the sheets to each other should overlap by 25-30 cm, and to move when attaching to the bottom up. The pitch between fasteners depends on the type of sheet and the size of the wave, so this parameter should be specified at the time of purchase.
Helpful advice! You should not screw the screws too tight, otherwise you will damage the insulation and the top layer of the coating. In order to ensure that fasteners are not exposed to corrosion, they are recommended to be coated with a special paint or varnish.
Apparently, the professional flooring is mounted as simply, as well as a metal tile, possessing at the same time a little smaller esthetic appeal, but also smaller cost. A good option for outbuildings and non-residential buildings.
Ondulin is also called Euro-slate, and it looks like corrugated sheets of cellulose fibers, which are impregnated with bitumen. The top layer of ondulin is a special coating that protects against moisture and other negative phenomena. If you plan to make a single-pitch roof of an extension to the house, then you should be aware of its positive and negative qualities.
The first category includes the following:
- a high level of resistance to all kinds of adverse climatic influences, such as rain or snow;
- large longitudinal flexibility, which allows it not to break under the action of large loads, but only sag;
- very small weight of sheets – only 4 kg / m ?;
- can be mounted on top of the old roof as a secondary coating;
- differs in long service life – about 50 years;
- It boasts high water resistance.
- there is practically no attractive appearance, there is practically no variety of colors and shades (usually there are only three options on the market), the relief pattern is weak;
- loses its color in about 5 years after the start of operation;
- at low temperatures it becomes brittle and can easily break under pressure.
The photo of single-pitch roofs of private houses from Ondulin clearly shows that a relatively small angle of inclination is typical for this type of roofing material – from 6 degrees. By the way, the type of crates for this material depends largely on the slope of the slope.
Ondulin is good because it can be used for the construction of any types of buildings. It is used in private construction, agriculture, in the construction of industrial buildings and household extensions to the house. Its price is not too high, so this choice will not hit your wallet.
The basis of the so-called shingles is fiberglass or organic cellulose. Sheets of these materials are impregnated with bitumen (hence the name), and the outer side is covered with basalt granules. This type of roofing is much more expensive than the previous ones, however this is more than compensated for by its advantages:
- at installation of a bituminous tile very small percent of waste turns out;
- it can be laid on ramps with a complex geometry and a large number of superstructures;
- boasts excellent sound and waterproofing characteristics;
- weight per square meter of material is up to 20 kg;
- tolerates temperature fluctuations, as well as high and low temperatures;
- does not burn, and is also characterized by self-extinguishing;
- it has an attractive appearance and a wide range of colors and design options;
- durable – up to 60 years of service;
- resistant to mechanical stress;
- can imitate the pattern of other varieties of tile.
For a single-story house with a single-pitch roof, shingles are almost ideal if you have enough money for this. The disadvantages of the material include the following:
- increased fragility of the material at low temperatures;
- for the installation of a continuous crate and equipment of the ventilation system;
- high price.
The project of a single-story house with a single-pitch roof of shingles implies a slope angle of 18 degrees.
The main advantage of such roofing material as slate is its service life. With proper installation and maintenance, it exceeds 50 years, and this is a very good indicator. In addition, slate is characterized by the following advantages:
- very inexpensive;
- does not conduct electricity;
- resistant to corrosion and high temperatures.
The disadvantages include a large weight of sheets, which makes it difficult to mount them alone, as well as the fragility of slate, the harmfulness of asbestos dust to health and unsightly appearance.
Helpful advice! If you choose slate as a roofing coating, then the grayness of its design can be diluted by painting the surface of the sheets with special paints.
At cost, roofing steel may well compete with slate and other inexpensive materials. Its advantages include ease of installation and operation, low weight and the ability to cover slopes with a complex configuration. The last parameter is achieved due to the great flexibility of steel sheets.
Unfortunately, this material has a number of significant drawbacks. The main one is a very high noise level during precipitation. In case of rain or hail, even the highest-quality noise insulation does not save the noise from steel sheets; therefore, this type of material is used mainly for outbuildings.
Another disadvantage – a modest appearance. It is so beautiful to make a single-shed roof for a bath as a metal tile from roofing – it does not work out with all the desire, therefore steel sheets are used where savings come first, not design.
Roofing from aluminum sheets is characterized by almost the same advantages and disadvantages as steel. The only significant difference is the installation method. The aluminum roof is attached to the crate with the help of special cleats – tongues, which allow the sheets to move at temperature differences, thus excluding their deformation.
The project of a two-story house with a single shed roof made of ceramic tiles has been considered classic for more than one hundred years. In our time, this material can be made from baked clay or from a mixture of sand and cement. The properties of both options are very similar, but the second is characterized by a greater thickness and coarse design.
The advantages of tile include the following qualities:
- high level of heat and noise insulation;
- resistance to various climatic influences;
- environmental friendliness;
- very high service life – more than 100 years;
- large selection of design options and colors.
If we talk about the disadvantages of tile, then it is a lot of weight, because of which it is necessary to mount a reinforced roof system, installation complexity and a rather high cost. On the other hand, the roof of the tiles will give your house an aristocratic look, and you should pay for it.
If you want your house or other building to look as attractive as possible, then it is worth using not the cheapest materials to decorate the roof. For example, a natural tile of classic red color will immediately tell guests about your good taste and well-being.
If you are using budget options for roofing materials, then try to pick them up so that they represent your house in the most favorable light. Before choosing a material, it is recommended to look at the photos of buildings with it on the Internet, so you will learn a more complete picture of its aesthetic qualities.