Competently thought out and made lights – this is one of the ways to decorate the kitchen space, making it more attractive and cozier. One of the most common options – LED lights for the kitchen under the cabinets, allowing you to give the interior a special mood. Consider how to independently pick up everything you need and carry out installation, without the help of experts.
LED lighting for kitchen under cabinets: advantages of such a solution
LED lamps appeared on the domestic market long enough for anyone who at least somehow was interested in this issue to learn about the advantages of such a solution in comparison with the usual incandescent lamps and even energy-saving. First of all, the diode lighting in the kitchen is famous for its efficiency, as well as long service life. In addition, the LEDs are lit at maximum power from the first second, since they do not need time to warm up, and the frequency of switching on and off does not affect their lifespan.
Of course, not everything is so smooth, and LEDs have one major drawback – and the cost. The price of such an illumination will not really be low, however, as all those who have already used it claim, such an investment fully justifies itself very quickly.
The lifetime of the LED strip can be several decades, and the level of electricity consumption will be so small that in a short time the money spent will be compensated.
Helpful advice! If the kitchen already has any lighting, most likely, you will be able to replace only the lamp, retaining the lamp. This is possible due to the fact that manufacturers of LED lamps offer a huge range of products and you can almost always find the right option.
In an effort to decorate the interior of their kitchen properly, every owner should understand that, ideally, the backlight should be multi-zone. That is one lamp on the ceiling, most likely, will not be enough. Therefore, in most cases, in addition to the main lighting, they also provide for lamps above the dining area and, of course, LED lighting for the kitchen above the work surface.
But this is not all, because the lights are mounted not only as a functional element. Often it is used as a decoration. Consider where the lights may be located:
- LED lights for the working area of the kitchen – this is exactly the case when the light sources are mounted under the wall cabinets;
- lights under the hood;
- interior lighting glass cabinets. Such a solution looks especially beautiful if there is a frosted glass in their doors;
- lights above the top cabinets are a great way to visually expand the available space. Like all the other options, lighting the ceiling with a LED tape do it yourself is quite a possible task;
- under the lower kitchen cabinets. This is perhaps one of the most original options that allows you to create an unusual effect of soaring furniture;
- separate lights to highlight the working area in the kitchen.
Helpful advice! Depending on the purpose for which you are mounting the LED backlight, you can choose one or another lighting color. So, if you plan to use as an additional light source for work, it is better to give preference to a white light. But for decorative design, you can mount and color.
In order to understand what the choice of LED strip is based on and how to properly organize the illumination of a particular zone, first of all it is worth considering what the light sources are. We analyze all types, and then we determine which of the options is better than others for a particular purpose.
So, the main types of LED devices:
- surface-mounted linear luminaires. You can purchase them individually or immediately as a whole set in which there are several modules and adapters. By connecting together several of these individual elements, you can make a fairly long light source;
- surface spotlights – work on the same principle as the first type, but are not assembled into a general design;
- spot or linear recessed fixtures. They are different from the rest of the subtlety that allows you to install them directly into the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. This is an easy-to-use option, however, it will be difficult to carry out installation work yourself and most likely you will have to resort to the help of a specialist;
- LED strip for the kitchen. This is one of the most popular options for today, which is in no way inferior to all of the above. This type of device owes its popularity to a huge variety of colors, ease of installation and low cost.
Helpful advice! Today, both linear and turned fixtures with touch controls can be found on sale. Such devices are turned on and off with one touch and look very aesthetically pleasing.
Despite the fact that most of the LED strips look very similar, in fact there are several types of it and a special classification that is made depending on such factors:
- the number of crystals (can be from 1 to 4);
- full color or monochrome glow;
- size, which can be in the range from 1,06h0,8 and up to 5,0×5,0 mm.
Speaking easier, before you buy LED tape, you need to decide on what type of backlight you want to get. And in order to make it easier, consider a few recommendations of experts, which can be used as guidelines in order to buy lighting for the kitchen under the cabinets:
- if one of the tasks of the mounted illumination is to provide additional illumination of the working surface, then uniform and content bright light can be achieved using an LED strip 50×50;
- if there is no practical use of the backlight, and its only role is the decorative design of the interior, a single-chip 35×28 LED strip will be enough.
Taking into account the fact that the diode tape to the kitchen is several LEDs placed in one plane, several more types of this product are distinguished, depending on how tightly the elements are arranged to each other. So, the most popular options are 30, 60, 120 and 240 pieces per 1 meter of tape.
This parameter determines how powerful the tape will be, how much energy it will consume, as well as its brightness.
There is another extremely important point – the degree of protection from moisture. In this case, you need to pay attention to the labeling, which may be the following:
- IP20 – low level of protection. Such tapes are not recommended for use in the kitchen or in the bathroom, where the humidity is quite high;
- IP65 is an average level of protection. This option will perfectly cope with the task and the humidity in the kitchen will not affect the operation of the LEDs;
- IP68 is the absolute level of protection. Such products are not susceptible to moisture and can even be used to illuminate the pool.
Besides the fact that the installation of LED strip in the kitchen requires close attention when choosing, it is worth paying attention to what kind of power supply will be used for this purpose. It is very important to choose an option in which the power of the transformer will be enough, but at the same time it was not excessive.
Consider how to calculate the required power of the transformer on the example of a 50×50 LED strip and a power of 12 W:
- provided that the length of the tape is 5 m, 12 W must be multiplied by 5. We get 60;
- the stock is secured by a factor of 1.25, thus getting 75;
- we get a transformer with a power of 75 watts.
Touch switches usually are placed directly beside the tape itself, since they have the appearance of a module and do not spoil the appearance of the kitchen. But it is very important to remember that the sensor responds to any contact, so the placement should exclude accidental touches to which the sensor can react.
Thus, we can conclude that anyone can buy LED lighting for the kitchen and independently install it. To do this, it is enough to get acquainted with some of the most important characteristics of the elements and follow simple instructions, trying to avoid common mistakes. The rest of the lights in the kitchen under the cabinets LEDs does not present any difficulties, but it brings a special mood to the interior.