Sliding door systems have firmly strengthened their position in the design of premises. Their functions combine several advantages at once – convenience, efficiency and originality. Installation of such doors is significantly different from the installation of the usual swing models. You can familiarize yourself with the principles and features of the installation of sliding systems by reading the section – installing sliding interior doors with your own hands: video assembling for non-professionals.
Types of sliding doors and their equipment
Designers do not stint on ideas, developing all new models of sliding interroom systems. They can differ in the following ways:
- material canvases (they can be made of wood, MDF, glass, plastic, metal, or combined from these materials);
- the number of door leaves (one leaf, multi-leaf system);
- by the way of movement (the roller mechanism moves along the upper and lower guide, the roller is only on top, the canvas moves along the track of a metal pipe);
- the direction of movement of the door (in one direction, in opposite directions, telescopic, cylindrical);
- the mounting location of the guides (on the floor and wall, on the floor and ceiling, only on the wall).
Coupe doors, the upper rail of which is mounted to the ceiling, visually increase the height of the room. Structures in which the bottom rail is not involved will preserve the unity of the floor covering of the entire room.
Buying sliding interroom systems for installation by hand, follow the availability of standard equipment. It includes:
- door leaf;
- pseudo box for framing aperture;
- a set of platbands;
- decorative plate;
- roller mechanism;
- guide rails;
- guide flag (flag);
- a set of hardware (bolts, screws) and plugs for them.
The model of roller mechanisms and their number depends on the weight of the door leaf. If you purchase a door without a set of fittings, ask – what is its weight.
Installation of interior doors with their own hands. Watch the video – from A to Z. Assembly of the door structure. The nuances of installation. Tips experienced craftsmen. Mounting canopies. Inset fittings.
To install sliding interior doors with their own hands there is no need to have a special tool. For the installation of their own hands will need the usual “duty” set:
- pencil, plumb, level;
- screwdriver set;
- screwdriver, hammer drill or drill;
From devices – you can stock up on a certain number of wooden wedges and a square bar of 50 or 40 (mm) in size for fastening the guides.
Install a sliding interior door with their own hands, as can be seen from the video, can and amateur. As soon as the necessary door design is selected and the corresponding components are acquired, installation can begin.
The most popular models for the installation of their own hands – sliding interior doors single door. Assembly and fastening of such doors are relatively simple, and at the same time they have common features of installation with other types of sliding doors:
- When installing the doors, it is necessary to take into account that the door should be wider than the opening by about 5-7 (cm), otherwise gaps will gap. If the door moves back along the wall, it must be of such a width as to fully accept the removed web;
- sliding doors with a slide along a wall or wall in the upper rail are assembled and assembled when the flooring is laid. They make an accurate measurement of the opening, using the level to check the horizontal and vertical walls, especially in the place where the guide rail is attached. It is very important that the walls and the floor, in the fixing points of the guides, are even. Otherwise, it will affect the operation of the sliding mechanism and the door structure as a whole;
Helpful advice! Having decided to install a model of the door moving along the wall, plan the placement of furniture and accessories so that they are not in the door’s stroke zone.
- to frame the opening with your own hands with a decorative pseudo-box – insert it around the perimeter of the opening, check the position of the posts with a level. If all racks are set vertically, gently block with wedges to prevent movement. If gaps remain, they are filled with foam for installation and hidden under the casing;
- for fastening the top rail, draw a pencil line above the opening at a height equal to the height of the door plus 7 mm. We apply the timber (50×50 mm) along the line so that it is under it, and fasten it to the wall with bolts. At the same time it is necessary to strictly follow the horizontal position of the beam. The beginning of the bar should coincide with the beginning of the opening, where the door will be located in the closed state. In the guide we drill holes for fastenings with a step of 20 cm and through them fasten it to the bottom surface of the beam, retreating from the wall 6 or 7 (mm);
- to assemble the sliding mechanism for interior doors with your own hands – we connect the rollers to the carriages, drive them into the guide and check their movement. In the ends we install stopper plugs. Screw to the upper end of the door bracket. We preliminarily mark and drill through the brackets, and then fasten the brackets with the help of screws. We hang the door leaf and check that it does not touch the wall when moving;
Helpful advice! Do not save on accessories! Choosing the sliding mechanism for the interior door, make a choice in favor of quality products. It depends on how softly, silently and for a long time the mechanism will function.
- as the bottom guide traditionally use the flag. For such an element, a slot is selected at the bottom of the door. It is cut with a cutter, and not everyone has this tool at hand. The alternative is a guide nut (included in the kit of fittings), but it is a visible element;
- we move the doors to the full open position and plan on the floor the installation site of the threshold, functionally replacing the flag. Fasten it to the floor. By adjusting the bolts of the carriages (tightening or releasing them) and checking the level, we bring the doors to an exclusively vertical position;
- it remains to hide the timber with the guide rail using a decorative strip, attach the platbands and plugs in the attachment points.
Additional information and video installation of sliding interior doors with their own hands can be found on the Internet.
For interior sliding systems, the doors of which “hide” in the wall, the installation technology is somewhat different. This concerns not the basic principles of assembling and fastening the sliding mechanism, but rather, calculations and preparatory work on making false walls. In the niche of this wall the door will roll back or a cassette will be installed (if you purchased a door with a cassette unit):
- Preparing for the installation of hands-free cassette doors begins at the stage of rough construction works. The main feature is that the timber on which the guide rail is mounted, is mounted before the construction of false walls of gypsum board. The width and depth of the niche depends on the size of the cassette or is calculated based on the size of the opening. This takes into account the width at which the canvas can move freely in a niche;
- if the door is not equipped with a cassette, the timber to which the guide rail is attached is mounted on the profile frame of false walls. It is necessary to correctly calculate the level at which the timber will be mounted. Take into account at the same time the height of the future flooring, the canvas itself and the roller mechanism;
- in view of the fact that the draft work has not yet been completed, the door leaf will not be fixed yet. Instead, the bar will move along the guide. Its length should correspond to the door width. It will be attached with the help of the same brackets, which will subsequently be installed on the upper end of the interior door. Using the template, we determine the place of installation of the stopper cap so that the door is not completely hidden in the opening. To fasten the handle, a portion of the web (7 cm) must remain visible;
Helpful advice! Determining the installation position of the limiter on the top rail inside the cassette, do not forget to take into account the thickness of the decorative casing, which will be framed by the opening.
- when the upper guide rail is mounted and the limiter is attached, the niche is completely sewn up with plasterboard. Installation of the lower guide gate is carried out when the flooring is laid.
Video installation of sliding interior doors with their hands shows the process technology at all stages.
Do-it-yourself installation of sliding doors (video confirms this) is a process that does not require professional skills and effort. It is enough to have the necessary minimum of tools and feel free to start the installation by hand. Accurate measurement, following the recommendations – and your room will be transformed by a functional and stylish sliding door. In addition, self-assembly “balance” the cost of acquiring more expensive structures for the price than swing analogs.