Any private area or backyard needs a fence, which, in turn, must have a gate. There are many different types of gates, differing in material, type of construction and other characteristics. On the Internet you can find everything you need to create metal swing gates with a wicket: photos, instructions, drawings and detailed tips.
Advantages and design features
Swing gates equipped with a wicket are not only an excellent protection of your territory from unauthorized entry, but also a very convenient design that allows guests and equipment to pass. Each type of this design has several advantages:
- to create, you can use a large number of modern metal profiles, which opens up a wide scope for you to realize your design fantasies;
- all elements of the metal structure are made with the application of a special polymer coating, which protects it from corrosion, temperature drops and other negative effects;
- the gate is attached with special 3-section overhead hinges, which increases the strength of the whole structure;
- metal swing gates have no visible fasteners, making it very difficult to crack them.
In addition, sketches, designs, drawings, schemes for swinging gates with your own hands can be created according to an individual project, using forged elements, automation to open the gate and much more. Thus, your design will be not only reliable, but also unique in terms of design.
All types of these gates consist of two or one leaf, which are fastened to the frame with hinges. Depending on the type of valves, the following types of structures are distinguished:
- frame with a grid – this type of gate is well suited where you need to protect the territory with plants, or just not to allow constant shading. At the same time, the grid is quite cheap, easy to install, does not need constant care, and boasts a number of advantages;
- with a professional flooring – a photo of the door of a professional flooring with forging or other elements show that this design looks attractive and reliably protects the territory. The professional flooring itself is distinguished by its high durability and reliability, as well as a wide range of color solutions. It is not surprising that this type of structure has recently become increasingly popular;
- with welded lattice frame – this type of construction is distinguished by its stylish look and is used, most often, for decorative purposes. But do not underestimate the strength of such a frame, it is well tolerated by mechanical damage;
- with insulation – most often installed in garages to protect the car from severe frosts. As a heater, you can use polypropylene plates or ordinary wooden boards. The metal sheath can then be double or single.
Helpful advice! When choosing a design, also consider the type of fence to which it will be attached. For example, if your fence is made of corrugated flooring, then the gate should be made from it.
By the number of valves you can make the following classification:
- single doors – are characterized by large weight and need the device of a reinforced support column. This type of design is not very popular, since not every hinge can withstand the weight of a solid metal sheet, and it is difficult to mount it. Of the advantages, it is possible to single out greater strength, and among the shortcomings, the need for a reinforced foundation and holders, as well as the need for a large amount of free space for opening and closing the gate;
- bivalves – the most common option. Installation of swing metal doors with a wicket door made of corrugated flooring is perfect for a garage, warehouse or industrial premises. The main advantages are simplicity of design and ease of operation and maintenance;
- bivalves with a wicket – the most convenient and frequently used option. The gate allows people to freely enter the territory without having to open the main doors.
Any swing gate with a wicket door consists of the following elements:
- frame – the basis of the gate, which is attached to the posts or to the fence;
- sheathing – the material with which the frame is filled;
- loops by means of which the frame is attached to the supporting pillars;
- the locking mechanism is a lock or latch with which the gate is closed.
Also, a large amount of consumables is used to assemble the structure: bricks, rubble, sand, cement, primer and ordinary paint, nails or dowels. Directly when creating the gate with your own hands you will need a building level, a grinder with various discs for cutting and grinding metal (you can also use a special grinding machine for grinding), an airbrush, a roller or a brush, a welding machine.
Before you start making a fence and a gate for a private house made of corrugated flooring (photos of which can often be seen on the net), you should decide on the type of profile sheet. There are the following options:
- “C” is a wall profile sheet made of small thickness galvanized steel. It is characterized by ease and durability, most often used for self-manufacturing of the gate;
- “NS” – sheets with a large wave height and large thickness, are characterized by increased strength, but also great weight;
- “H” – bearing profile sheet of great thickness and weight, is used to create hangars and garages.
To create the gate is best suited two types: C8 and C10. The thickness of the first sheets is 0.4-0.6 mm, and the wave height is 8 mm. A square meter of such a sheet weighs up to 5.5 kg, that is, one standard sash measuring 2×2.5 m will weigh about 25 kg. C10 is made of steel with a thickness of up to 0.8 mm, wave height – 10 mm. It has a large weight, one flap can weigh up to 40 kg.
The skeleton of the gate can be made from rolled iron or from wooden beams. The first option is preferable, since the tree must be constantly protected from rotting and other adverse effects that the metal carries much easier. Also distinguish the following types of frame:
- welded construction – the most durable and reliable option, which is well withstand great weight. The only drawback is that the welded frame may be too heavy to create an automatic gate;
- aluminum frame – used only in combination with lightweight plating materials. Ideal for automatically opening gates due to low weight;
- frame bolted – easier to construct than welded, but can not boast the same reliability and durability.
Helpful advice! If you are still going to use the tree for the frame, then for this purpose it is best to use a quality wooden beam with a section of 10×10.
The iron frame is mounted from a profiled pipe with a square or rectangular section. The optimal size is 40×20 mm.
The supporting pillars, which can be seen in the photo of the forged gate and wicket, can also be made of different materials:
- Wood is the cheapest, but by no means the most durable material for support pillars. The advantage is ease of processing;
- brick – lasts longer than wood, looks quite attractive and can withstand a lot of weight. The ideal way to use bricks is to lay metal structures on them. In this case, loops and other structural elements must be welded precisely to the iron core;
- Concrete is one of the most durable and easy-to-process materials for support pillars. Due to its massiveness, it easily maintains the weight of a large structure, is easily redecorated;
- asbestos is a medium variant between metal and wooden pillars;
- metal – the pillars of it are the easiest to install (they just dig into the ground), they withstand many natural and mechanical influences. A very good option for support pillars for all types of structures is metal pillars with a concrete or brick base.
Making the door from a professional sheet with your own hands is a rather complicated, lengthy and time-consuming process. Consider it in detail.
The initial stage of the construction of the gate is the drawing up of a detailed drawing of the future construction, which can be done from scratch or taken from the Internet. In any case, it is necessary to conduct a certain number of calculations and measurements. Do-it-yourself drawings, photos and videos of the swing gates can be found on any specialized construction site, so you just have to choose the design option that suits you.
The important point is to correctly determine the depth of the pits under the supporting pillars. If your gate is 2 m high, then the depth of the pit should be at least 1 m, and the diameter of the recess should be made 10 cm larger than the diameter of the support pipe. The classic dimensions of the doors made of corrugated board with forging elements are 3-4 by 2.5 m. At the same time, the dimensions of the gate must be taken into account, and if you are limited in size, it can be cut into one of the wings.
Next is the installation of supports. The thickness of the support pipe is selected depending on the weight of the whole structure. The pipe is placed in a pit, then it is poured with rubble or broken brick and poured with mortar (cement with sand in the ratio of 1: 3 and 25% of water). If the construction is too heavy or you just need additional reinforcement, then the pillars at the base can be lined with bricks.
The manufacture of the gate itself is a separate process that should be described in detail.
In the manufacture of the gate, first of all you need to mount the frame, which will be installed in the opening. To do this, the metal corners are arranged in the form of a square or rectangle, and the joints are welded using a welding machine.
Helpful advice! For greater strength, it is recommended to make two frames – from the outside and inside of the opening. Between them, you need to weld metal plates. The more secure the mount, the better the frame will support the weight of the flaps.
In the manufacture of sashes, metal profiles are laid out on a flat surface in accordance with your drawing, and then the contact points are welded. The resulting sheets should be strengthened with longitudinal or transverse iron beams. In the same way, the frame for the gate is made.
After that, the coating is welded to the frame part. The recommended sheet metal thickness is about 2 mm. The weight of thicker sheets may not support the supports, and too thin metal can be easily damaged.
Particular attention should be paid to the loops, since it is on them that the whole construction rests. You should not save on this element of the gate, otherwise you risk getting a very unreliable design. The hinges are welded to the support posts and sash with a welding machine.
After that, the gate and the gate are installed on the hinges, locks and bolts are mounted, the structure is covered with paint to protect against corrosion.
The design with an automatic drive is very convenient and functional option which will allow you to save time and forces. To do this, it is not even necessary to have specialized equipment, but you can use a turning mechanism, which is used in a satellite dish. This option will be not only effective and inexpensive, but also safe, since the engine from the satellite system can be combined with a step-down transformer.
Two actuators from satellite systems with the longest possible stems are attached to the door leaves on the inside of the site. They also bought a universal remote control. It also does not hurt to connect a current relay to the system, which will return the sash to its original position if a stone or other disturbance falls under it. If there is no such relay, the automatic door opening mechanism may fail as a result of even a small obstacle hitting the road in front of the structure.