A garden bench cannot be considered solely as a common piece of furniture used for recreation. This type of furniture can be a spectacular decoration of the dacha. A handmade wooden bench made of wood can become a key component of the whole composition, emphasizing the beauty and advantages of landscape design in your garden or yard. At the same time, an important place is given to the style, materials and area of the future product.
Do-it-yourself photo of wooden benches: drawings and recommendations
Wood is the most suitable material for creating furniture. It has beneficial properties:
- absorbs heat;
- has a noble appearance;
- Easily amenable to any type of treatment.
Note! Benches or wooden benches with their own hands can be created on the basis of any types of wood. The only requirement for the material – raw materials must be well dried.
You should not take a tree with external defects into the work. The exceptions are some products whose design allows for the presence of cracks. Knots and burrs in any case have to be eliminated.
A number of requirements are also put forward to the structures themselves:
- safety – is ensured by a few points: the correct design calculation, the selection of materials and fasteners corresponding to the weight loads, careful assembly. Not least is the quality of materials and accessories;
- durability and durability – since these products are intended for outdoor conditions, the raw materials used for their manufacture should not be seriously damaged or damaged. In addition, it is desirable that the material is resistant to the adverse effects of climate, weather fluctuations;
- ergonomics – the design you are developing should be comfortable. In most cases, this type of product is created just for rest, therefore it is recommended to use drawings of structures with a back to create a bench with your own hands from wood.
The choice of design determines the direction of all subsequent work. The design of the future product will have an impact on the landscape, the style of the space where the garden furniture will be installed. Therefore, the choice of the project should be approached thoroughly. For inspiration, you can use the photo benches for a gazebo with your own hands, which you can find on the Internet or in the pages of gardening and gardening magazines.
The simplest design on two supports is suitable not only for a gazebo, but also for a veranda or terrace. The supporting part is assembled from boards. All elements of the legs must have the same size. Boards are stacked in pairs, with each next floor of the structure must have a perpendicular arrangement with respect to the previous one. The seat can be made of timber. The length you select, as long as the construction does not bend.
Helpful advice! These types of structures can be made long by adding additional supports. Thanks to this, you can install a long shop along the outer wall of the house or inside the gazebo.
The supporting part of the wooden boards can be made more durable and reliable, replacing it with a hollow building block. In this case, the bars of the seat will be fixed in the holes of the supports. Do not forget to pre-round the edges on the wooden elements to make it easier to sit.
Purchase of lumber is more expensive than the use of improvised means. Creating a bench from a log with your own hands is the most budget-friendly way of organizing a comfortable recreation area at the dacha. To do this, you can use a long trunk of a fallen tree, which takes place in your territory, if the wood is not too damaged and is not damaged by insects.
Prepare the necessary tools:
- disks for grinders, designed for cutting wood;
- sanding machine or sandpaper with coarse and fine grain.
To make a bench, you need to cut 2 pieces of the same length from a tree. As a result, you get 2 thick stump of the same height. They will be used as supports. Cut a thick and long board from the core of the remaining stem. It will become the seat of the future design. The width of the board should coincide with the diameter of the supporting parts.
To fix the seat on the support, cut down the slots in the upper part of each stump. The design will be considered correct only if the seat board fits snugly into the grooves and is held in by gravity. For greater reliability, you can use nails or a connection with pins.
Helpful advice! Seat board must be well polished. Support stumps can also be removed from the bark and treated with sandpaper or, alternatively, left untouched if you want to achieve a distinctive appearance.
To make a bench from a fallen tree, you need a chainsaw. The main material of the structure will be a trunk with a large diameter. Minimum length – 1 m.
The technology for creating the product looks like this:
- marking is applied to the log with a pencil or marker so that the material is divided in two. But the cut will be carried out not in the middle, but with a small offset in one direction from the center of the log. The result should be 2 unequal in size parts. The smaller of them will go to the manufacture of the backrest, the big one will perform the function of the seat;
- after cutting the log into two, the surface of the manufactured parts should be leveled at the place of the cut, so that even planes are obtained. Irregularities are carefully removed using a chainsaw;
- flip the seat part flat down. Find the highest place of the circle and mark it up in the form of two lines connecting each other. You should have a triangle with a rounded base and equal sides, the top of which is directed to the plane of the seat. At the same time, the height of the triangle should be small so that the structure does not collapse. Simply put, you will need to cut a peculiar “piece of cake” of a small size closer to the edge of the circle. The cut-out element must be solid, it will pass along the entire length of the seat. This is done in order to subsequently perform a type of attachment, called a dovetail;
- the resulting element should be divided in half by length. The back of the seat (its back) will be based on these parts, so in the appropriate places you need to make triangular cutouts that match in size and shape with the supporting elements;
- to create a strong support, similar notches need to be made in the side of the seat. The grooves on the back and seat should be mirrored. This will insert the ends of the triangular supports.
Helpful advice! The design turns out rather rough. After assembly, you can modify it: give the seat and back figure shape, polish, decorate the product with carvings.
Place the bench on the legs made of thick stumps. Here you can use the same slotting method.