For the construction of fences in the construction of using various materials. The main selection criterion is reliability and durability. Special attention is paid to aesthetic characteristics. Based on these requirements, a particular popularity among other materials has acquired a stone. Mainly because it is quite simple to build a fence from a gabion with your own hands. How to choose the material, prepare the territory and build the fence, this article will tell.
Fence from the gabion: advantages and features
Such a building material as gabion, has become particularly popular in recent times. Previously, it is not so often used. Landscape designers usually recommend using this material as a fence, as it not only creates a protective fence, but also is an original decoration of the site. The gabions won their positive rating due to their special characteristics:
- high degree of strength. The construction of the gabion can withstand enormous loads;
- natural look design. The monolithic building looks harmoniously next to trees and shrubs, and also fits perfectly into the landscape;
- relatively low price. The total cost of building a fence made of reinforced concrete and brick will cost more than twice as much compared with the construction of a fence made of stone and mesh;
- ease and speed of construction. It is quite simple to build a fence from gabions; it can be done independently, without engaging specialists and in a short period of time. This fact also reduces the cost of construction;
- durability of a design. Durable galvanized metal frame and stone filler have a high degree of wear resistance, do not require regular painting, while retaining their original attractive appearance for a long time;
- weather resistance. The stone fence does not collapse under the influence of various weather conditions;
- lack of foundation. For the construction of the fence from the gabion does not require pouring the fundamental base. It is enough to strengthen the supports with cement mortar;
- permissible construction on uneven terrain. This is possible due to the connection sections at different angles.
Initially, gabions were used as fortifications during the war, then to strengthen the banks of rivers and lakes, slopes and hills, and even later, to set up terraces on a hilly territory. As a decorative structure, retaining wall and fencing products began to be used relatively recently.
Interesting! In modern construction, gabions are most often used for decorating a territory, although initially such constructions served as redoubts to protect soldiers during hostilities.
There are three ways to classify gabions. Types of products are distinguished by one of the characteristic features: geometric shape, type of mesh and type of filler.
Depending on the shape of gabions are in the form:
- flat horizontal structures, referred to as “Reno mattresses”;
- vertical structures called Jumbo boxes;
- cylindrical products.
According to the type of mesh gabions share:
- on frames made of welded reinforcement;
- on the grid of twisted wire having the shape of a hexagon.
A filler in a gabion, except stones, can be brick, tile, slate, glass and other materials.
For the construction of the fence, they mainly take vertical boxes made of pieces of thick wire connected by welding. Cylindrical gabions in this case serve as decorative pillars that adorn the structure. Often in the fences make niches for embedding garden furniture. If the top layer is filled with fertile soil, it is possible to supplement the design with a flower garden or shrub.
The fence of gabions is a three-dimensional mesh structure, inside the frame of which different materials are poured. The most common filler is stone, but sometimes use broken brick, the remains of tiles and other materials.
In the process of filling the frame, you can give the product a variety of decorative design, complement the composition with bright elements and ornaments. For the construction of the structure you need significantly less materials than in the construction of a classic stone or brick fence. You only need the mesh for the frame and the corresponding filler. Thus, gabions that do not require penetration and pouring with concrete are more profitable financially and in terms of labor costs.
Stone fence in the grid without the use of cement mortar differs in mobility, therefore, during the creation of the structure does not need to take into account the shrinkage and raising of the soil. If the soil rises or falls within 10 cm, the fence will not collapse or deform. Just a redistribution of stones.
The considerable weight of the structure excludes the possibility of creating gates and wickets. However, other entrance options are suitable for such a fence, artistic forging looks especially beautiful against the background of gabions.
Companies that are engaged in the production of gabions, most often use galvanized wire. Its density is several times higher than the density of a conventional chain-netting and reaches 280 g / m2. Sometimes, instead of galvanizing, PVC coated wire is used. The thickness of the rods can be 2-6 mm.
Helpful advice! Choosing gabions, one should pay attention to the shape of the grid cells. They must be in the form of regular polygons. This feature has a positive effect on the strength and durability of the structure.
The containers of which the structure is composed must have a high degree of strength in order not to succumb to deformation under the action of the gravity of the filler of the fence. In this case, Gabion is protected using the technique of double twisting of the wire.
The use of this product instead of the traditional fencing contributes to the solution of a number of tasks, since with its help it is possible to create a structure in the middle of water bodies or along the coast, to build a fence on a site with difficult and uneven relief. Fencing of gabions, regardless of the type of soil, are reliable and attractive.
As a filling you can use not only stones. Here it is worthwhile to connect the imagination and give free rein to bold solutions with the use of various fillers and their combinations. Gabions are also recommended to be combined with other materials. For example, part of the fence can be supplemented with wooden sections or metal mesh.
When choosing a material for the filler, you need to take into account a number of factors. In particular, it is necessary to take into account the taste preferences of the owners of the house, the financial possibilities of the family, the location of the object. Most specialists in this field prefer stones. In this case, fit both artificial and natural breeds.
Color, weight and shape do not matter. The main criterion is size. Stones should be large. A great option for filling – basalt and granite stones. Fragments of diorite and quartzite also look good. The most popular in this series is ordinary sandstone. The material is financially beneficial, and also not inferior in quality and appearance to more expensive counterparts.
When planning the construction of the fence from the gabion, you should pay attention to certain nuances and apply a number of tricks:
- The cost of large-sized stones is quite high, so the outer parts can be decorated with large stones in a wide fence, and the middle of the structure can be filled with gravel or construction waste wrapped in geotextiles.
- The fence of gabions does not require pouring the foundation. In the case of use in the lower part of small pebbles, the framework of the structure should be deepened into the ground by 30 cm.
- The product will have a high degree of rigidity if large stones are carefully used as a filler. The photo of large-size stone fences shows that they can be built without the use of a barrier net, erecting directly on the ground, removing only the top layer of tillage.
- If the filler in the gabion are light materials, for example, wood cuts, then it is desirable to use a more dense material as the lower support layer. For this purpose, suitable rubble.
Factory gabions can be of various sizes. Usually galvanized wire with a diameter of 2.7 / 3.4 and 3.0 / 3.9 mm and with a PVC coating of 3.7 / 4.4 mm is taken as the basis. The width of almost all structures is 1 m. The length and height vary accordingly.
Table of standard dimensions of gabions
|Length, m||Height, m|
|2||0.5 – 1|
|3||0.5 – 1|
Helpful advice! Choosing a filler, you should pay attention to the fact that the size was more than 1/3 mesh cells. Otherwise, the stone will simply spill out through the holes.
Designs with a two-meter width can reach six meters in length, while having a height of only 30 cm.
The price of the gabion fence includes the cost of the filler and the frame itself. They are sold by the piece. At the level of prices wag the quality of the material and method of manufacture. The classic version of the twisted mesh, as a rule, is much cheaper than the gabions made by the welding method. The value of the price is also influenced by the seasonal factor. Cost rises with increasing demand from March to June. At the end of the summer, the price gradually decreases. The minimum size reaches the end of autumn.
Some external factors have a price impact, such as a rise or collapse in world prices for metals and for energy resources. Using demand, suppliers can create an artificial stir, spreading false messages that products will go up. Thus they get rid of excess stocks in warehouses.
In the construction of the fence will need a number of consumables, in particular:
- brackets for connecting parts of gabions. A simple wire in the shape of a spiral may come up;
- geotextile material;
- steel pins for fixing the structure in the ground;
- steel braces that perform the function of tightening the walls located on opposite sides.
Helpful advice! As a basis, you can buy gabions for the fence of industrial production from galvanized wire, use a grid of twisted wire with hexagonal cells, or weld a grid of thick steel rods.
Thus, it is quite simple to make your own fence from gabions. The main thing is to correctly select and calculate the amount of materials, as well as to follow the installation instructions clearly. Compliance with all the rules will help to get a beautiful design, which will serve not only as a reliable fence, but also to please the eye for many years. Gabions are excellently suited as a territory decor. With their help, you can create a beautiful design near the pond or flower beds, build benches or strengthen the slopes.