At arrangement of the country site it is very important to foresee all nuances in advance. This is especially true when it comes to children’s playgrounds. It is quite simple to build a sandbox, slide or swing with your own hands, but, in addition to this, you also need to take care of the safety of the child during games. Coverage for playgrounds in the country plays a very important role in reducing the risk of injuries on the playground.
Types and features of coatings for the site
All coatings for playgrounds on the street can be divided into two types – natural and artificial. The first option is sand or grass. They allow you to save your budget, but they have several disadvantages. For example, in the rain, such a coating turns into a continuous swamp, and the lawn and grass dries long enough. In addition, it is quite difficult to remove garbage from a sandy or grassy surface; you should take care of the lawn regularly.
Therefore, many owners of suburban areas opt for artificial turf. This option is more expensive, but has several significant advantages:
- artificial turf for playgrounds is absolutely safe, and also boasts a high level of elasticity and elasticity;
- resistant to temperature extremes, direct sunlight or high frost;
- does not burn and does not melt;
- does not need special care, is easy to operate and install;
- artificial surface does not slip after rain, which reduces the risk of injury to the child as a result of a fall;
- it has high moisture absorption and drainage properties;
- serves much longer than natural coverage. It is characterized by high wear resistance.
The following types of popular artificial surfaces for a children’s playground are distinguished:
- artificial turf;
- modular rubber coating;
- modular plastic coating.
Helpful advice! Laying any modular covering requires a perfectly flat surface, so the playground must first be prepared. This can be done by pouring asphalt, laying a concrete screed, wooden flooring or stone foundation.
One of the main differences between synthetic turf and natural grass is a high level of resistance to trampling. Natural grass is quickly crushed, paths and bald spots form on it. The synthetic version of the coating perfectly tolerates heavy loads and always looks as if it had just been put up. Also, unlike natural grass, synthetic does not stain clothes. The disadvantage of such coverage is that it weakly softens the fall, and too high grass can impede the movement of a small child in the territory.
The main parameter when choosing an artificial lawn for a playground is grass height. This parameter is indicated by the manufacturer in the description of the lawn. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the density of the grass and the thickness of individual blades of grass. When installing a lawn, a strong and even coating is first poured, for example, from concrete or asphalt.
Coverage for the sports field on the street of synthetic grass is laid in the following sequence:
- garbage is removed from the ground, the surface is leveled. If necessary, you can remove the soil layer;
- if the lawn is laid on the ground, and not on the asphalt, then it should be tamped with a roller or a wide board;
- in order that the soil under the coating does not rot, it is necessary to make a drainage system. For this purpose, ditches are dug up on the construction site, along which rainwater will flow;
- when mounted on a concrete or asphalt coating, a substrate is lined under the lawn. Each subsequent sheet of the substrate overlaps the previous one by approximately 1.5 cm;
- after spreading the lawn, let it stand for about 12 hours. This is done so that the blades of grass straighten and stand upright;
- the sheets are laid as closely as possible to each other, and the joints are filled with special construction glue. With the help of the same glue the curb is fixed on the edges of the lawn;
- the charging or semi-grazing lawn can be sifted with quartz sand. If you do not plan to use sand, then you need to take rubber or rubber granules instead.
Synthetic lawn is a good soft covering option for children’s playgrounds, where the arrangement of a children’s stadium is planned. For example, for playing football, artificial grass is just the perfect cover.
Of all the surface options, rubber coatings for the sports field on the street are the most safety ones. It also has the following advantages:
- high durability;
- does not get off and is not erased;
- looks attractive, may have different colors;
- ecologically safe and does not cause allergies;
- well absorbs noise when children play;
- allows you to realize your wildest designer fantasies.
Helpful advice! The outflow of moisture on the soil surface is carried out in a natural way, so the slope or the drainage system should not be done.
Laying rubberized coating for the playground can be on a solid foundation or on the ground. When laying on the ground it is necessary to use plates with a thickness of 30, 40, 50 or 80 mm. Before installing the coating, the top layer of soil is removed, cleared of roots and weeds, then leveled and compacted with the help of a roller. After that, a layer of crushed stone up to 100 mm thick is laid on the ground, onto which the cement-sand mixture is poured.
If you are mounting rubber plates on a dirt base, then it is best to connect them together with sleeves. So the elements of the coating will be securely fastened and will not move during operation.
If the rubber coating is mounted on an asphalt or concrete base, then everything is somewhat more complicated. The base must be treated with a special primer, which is made by mixing polyurethane glue and acetone in the same proportion. The resulting mixture is applied to the asphalt surface, it can also be used to prime chips and cracks in the concrete. Glue is applied with a roller or spatula, then the tile is laid, which must be pressed tightly.
When laying a street cover for a playground on a concrete or asphalt base, it is necessary to equip the water drain. Slope should be about 2%. The pad can be used after the adhesive mixture hardens.
The modular plastic covering for a playground is a folding design which includes the modules of the different size made of high-quality plastic. This type of coating is not afraid of temperature changes or prolonged exposure to water, is environmentally friendly and easy to install. The main difference between plastic modules from other types of coatings is that they can be easily disassembled and just as easily mounted in a new place. If necessary, the modular design can be moved from place to place even without dismantling.
Another advantage of the modular plastic coating is that it is easy to clean. Simply rinse it with running water from a hose. Also the platform with plastic modules can be used immediately, without waiting until the glue hardens or the base seizes. And if your child has grown up and there is no need for special coverage for the playground, then the modules are simply disconnected from each other and put in the garage or storage room.
Whichever you choose, the cover for the playground should, first of all, be safe for the child. The remaining parameters should be chosen depending on the purpose for which the playground is equipped, how old your child is, what environmental conditions are in your area, and so on. Remember that the correct material to cover is the absence of injuries to your child and, accordingly, your peace of mind.