This article discusses this type of finishing material as paint on metal for outdoor use: the main types of compositions used in suburban construction, their pros and cons, technical and operational characteristics. In the text you can find information that will help with the selection of the best dye, as well as prices for the products in demand.
Paint for metal for outdoor use: properties of existing compositions
Coloring of metal products is a necessary measure, which allows to prolong the life of the material, as well as to preserve its attractive appearance and novelty for a long time. This process is accompanied by some difficulties, and the difficulties affect not the technology of applying the composition, but its choice. The dye must have the necessary set of performance characteristics, be resistant to the negative effects of external factors and maintain their properties over a long period of time.
For the treatment of metal surfaces the following types of dyes are used:
- nitro (NC, aerosol);
- pentaphthalic (PF);
Each type of dye has certain advantages and disadvantages, and the inherent characteristics of the composition make it possible to accurately determine under what conditions the positive qualities of the coating will bring maximum benefit.
Nitro composition for painting metal surfaces is produced by manufacturers in the form of aerosol cans. This type of dye is ideal for finishing products of small size. Due to the fact that the composition is applied to the surface by spraying, eliminates the likelihood of divorce, which is usually accompanied by the use of a roller or brush as a tool.
For dilution of paint is allowed to use chemical solvents of any brand. To achieve a strong gloss, you need to buy paint on metal for outdoor work with a large number in the title. The higher the number, the more brilliance. For application, any tool can be used, including a pneumatic spray gun and an ordinary brush. The only exception is rollers with foam coats. This type of material corrodes upon contact with the NC.
Interesting fact! Nitro dye is used as a refilling marker for drawing.
This type of dye is inappropriate to use for processing large products. This is not only costly, but it is also accompanied by a large number of disadvantages than advantages.
Consider the disadvantages of nitro dyes for finishing metal products:
- low adhesion, which adversely affects the service life of the coating;
- toxic and unpleasant smell harmful to human health;
- low resistance to ultraviolet radiation;
- fast burnout shade in the sun;
- high consumption of paint on metal per m2 of the treated area;
- incompatibility with other types of dyes.
Due to the fact that the dyes in the cartridges contain chemical solvents in their composition, any type of coating of another type is eroded when the SC is applied. In addition, the presence of such components becomes a source of toxic and caustic odors harmful to human health. Therefore, nitro dyes can only be used outdoors.
Advantages of nitro dyes:
- relatively low cost (significant savings can be achieved if you buy paint for metal not in a can, but in a can);
- simple application technology regardless of the method;
- the coating dries quickly;
- staining can be carried out even at low temperatures;
- washing the old paint from the metal can be done with the usual solvent.
Alkyd enamel is not only for painting metal. It is universal and can be used for finishing other surfaces. The basis of this paint allows you to use it in combination with other types of dyes and primers, without fear that there will be a bad reaction. For dilution of the composition, you can use solvent and white spirit. The use of gasoline is allowed, but in this case the coating will not be glossy and shiny.
Disadvantages of finishing material:
- the coating dries for a long time (at room temperature this will take about a day, and in cold weather it is impossible to fully dry the dye);
- the low adhesive properties of the material force the use of an appropriate primer;
- poor quality of coating;
- under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, a rapid burnout of the shade and loss of gloss occurs;
- after full drying, the coating may change color.
Note! Adding coloring pigments to the composition independently, it is necessary to prepare the mixture with a reserve. If the paint is not enough, it will not be possible to get the same shade in the second portion.
The advantages of PF formulations:
- high-quality dye for many years retains its properties;
- simple application system allows you to paint yourself;
- rollers with foam coats are allowed, as there are no aggressive solvents in the composition that can corrode the instrument;
- extensive selection of colors and tinting;
- no need to use a primer.
As a means for removing paint from metal, you can use the solvent R-4. They should be used very carefully, because the solution is aggressive and can cause chemical burns.
Rubber paints were invented as an alternative to bitumen compositions. The reason for this was the ugliness of the latter. Dyes based on natural bitumen resin form a dense and resistant coating on metal surfaces. A similar finish is obtained when using rubber compounds with the same properties, but already with attractive external characteristics.
On sale there are not only rubber matte paint for black metal, but also compositions of other colors, for example, red, blue, green. These materials have several important advantages:
- high level of protection against external factors;
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- if necessary, the coating can be easily removed due to the use of liquid for removing paint from metal;
- can be used as a finish on galvanized surfaces, so the dye is suitable for protecting the roof;
- the structure perfectly lays down on any types of surfaces;
- there is no conflict reaction to other dyes.
When dyeing with a rubber dye with a matte surface outdoors, it is imperative to use protective equipment, since the mixture is toxic. In case of contact with the skin, irritation or an allergic reaction may occur.
The disadvantages of rubber coatings are few, but they are:
- complex application technology;
- Not all application methods can be used to paint metal surfaces;
- it is difficult to obtain a uniform coating without gaps, but only under this condition will the dye provide a full level of protection;
- high price.
The range of manufacturers allows you to buy powder paints for metal in two categories:
- Thermoplastic mixtures – in the process of forming a film coating does not occur chemical transformations of the composition.
- Thermosetting compounds – the coating is formed as a result of chemical processes.
Helpful advice! Thermosetting compounds are best used for processing metal parts of the vehicle, since this category of coating is focused on the automotive industry.
The price of powder paint for metal varies depending on the type of composition. This type of dyes is presented in a huge variety.
The category of thermoplastic coatings is represented by polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyamide and polyethylene (polyethylene, polypropylene) types of compounds.
The category of thermosetting coatings is represented by the following types of compounds:
- epoxy polyester;
Why is it profitable to buy paint for exterior works on metal of the powder type:
- simple system of use and application;
- high speed of hardening;
- economical consumption (the loss of the usual dye during work sometimes reaches 40%, while the powder composition is 98% of the treated surface);
- high level of coating strength;
- environmental friendliness;
- beautiful decorative properties.
Under the condition of a short exposure to high temperature, the coating will retain its attractiveness (up to + 150 ° C). For at least 5 years in the finish no changes in hue will occur under the influence of UV. These and many other advantages have provided Hammeraite paint such popularity in the market.
A modern range of paints and varnishes offers hundreds of quality finishes. At the same time there is no universal composition. When choosing a finish, you should first of all be guided by the type of material of the surface being treated, the budget possibilities and the advantages that dye can offer.