From this article, you can learn all the advantages and disadvantages of operating such a device as a humidifier: the benefits and harms, reviews, the opinion of doctors about the influence of climate technology on the condition of the indoor climate, the effects on people and their health. It also discusses the specificity of using humidifiers in children’s rooms and consumer feedback on the most popular models.
Humidifier: the benefits and harm, reviews, the opinion of doctors
Climatic equipment is designed to increase the humidity of the air in the room, as well as maintain comfortable conditions for human living. If we consider this aspect of the operation of devices as harm or benefit of humidifiers, we should not forget that even furniture, room decoration and plants can be influenced.
The advantages of using climate technology for the room:
- Excessively dry air adversely affects the condition of natural flooring. In the absence of the required level of moisture, wooden or parquet floors begin to crumble. The surface of the floor covering becomes brittle, which accelerates the wear process. With a humidifier, this problem disappears.
- Low humidity is detrimental to plants. Flowers and green spaces in the house slow down in growth, turn yellow and dry out. The humidifier maintains optimal conditions for plants, which not only delight the eye, but also emit additional oxygen.
- Wooden furniture, as well as door jambs in a dry room may eventually become covered with cracks. Climate technology keeps wood in good condition, increasing the life of the furniture.
Note! These advantages can be classified as secondary benefits.
The humidifier actually does not create an ideal microclimate, because it affects only one of the components of the atmosphere of the room – humidity. Other factors also affect the well-being and health of a person, the combination of which creates an environment that is optimal for living.
Touching on the advantages and disadvantages of humidifiers, it is worth noting that the same amount of water vapor can affect a person’s health in different ways. The higher the temperature indicator of air, the more moisture it absorbs. This can be traced by a certain pattern. So, if in 1 m? air contains 2.5 mg of water, and the room temperature is 1 ° C, then the relative humidity will be 50%, because 1 m? air can absorb no more than 5 mg of water.
In the heating season, the air is heated to a temperature of 21 ° C, because of which the humidity drops to 14%. This is due to the fact that the dry air can accommodate not 5, but 18 mg of water. At the same time, a person experiences a feeling of discomfort, which can be eliminated by replenishing moisture to the required percentage due to an air humidifier.
The system of centralized heating in winter is able to warm up the air in the room up to 21-24 ° C. Such a high rate provokes its uncontrolled saturation with water vapor. As a result, the person becomes hard to breathe.
Clean air also affects the well-being of a person. In a closed space, various compounds accumulate in gaseous form:
- human waste products;
- polymer fumes produced by the finishing of the room;
- gases formed in the process of cooking;
- harmful microorganisms.
Note! Partially, the device improves the situation (if we are talking about the Boneco Air-o-Swiss E 2441 A air cleaning), however, only thorough ventilation can fully eliminate the negative impact. A similar situation occurs in the case of pathogens of allergies, as well as dust. To combat them, radical measures are needed: dry-cleaning of carpets, wet and dry cleaning of the premises, thorough washing and evaporation of curtains.
Some of the shortcomings noted by users are actually imaginary. Many of these popular opinions are easily explained or denied by experts.
Air humidification can cause sore throat. – Indeed, if the indicator of humidity in the room exceeds 80%, not only children, but also adults can get sore throats. Due to an overabundance of moisture, mucus accumulates in the human respiratory tract, creating a comfortable environment for bacteria. The ideal indicator for adults is 45-60%, and for children – 50-70%.
The centralized heating system in the winter does not allow this value to rise above the 35% mark. The humidifier compensates for the difference that is missing from the norm. In the summer, the use of air conditioners also contributes to the drying of the air, so additional moisture will be required in this season.
The device does not help to achieve the optimal mode. – to maintain certain conditions in the room, it is important to consider its area when choosing a device, as well as the power of the device itself. If the equipment is designed for efficient processing of a room with a size of 15 m ?, then for rooms of 25 m? its power will not be enough.
Humidifier is dangerous for the child – the use of a steam device, for example, the Polaris PUH 2204 humidifier, is dangerous because a baby can get thermal damage to the skin with hot steam. In this case, you can simply put the device out of the reach of children or restrict yourself to buying, for example, an Electrolux EHU 3715 D ultrasonic humidifier or a traditional one. Such devices are completely safe.
The high cost of consumables – the cost of consumables is high, but the frequency of replacement in each humidifier is different. Before buying, you need to carefully study the instructions and check the price of filters and membranes in different stores.
Despite the many biases regarding humidifiers, this type of climate equipment is in high demand. Such popularity is due to the opinion of modern doctors.
Note! From a medical point of view, dried air is extremely harmful to human health, and for a child’s body it is simply dangerous. Doctors say that these devices are much more good than harm.
The benefits of climate technology designed for humidification:
- Regulation of heat transfer in a child – the body of young children generates much more heat than the body of an adult. However, it is not transmitted to the environment through the skin, but through the lungs. Due to the dry air and the strong loss of moisture in the body of the child, blood begins to thicken. In some cases, the work of internal organs is disturbed. Dryness of air causes the formation of crusts on the mucous membranes in infants. They create obstacles to normal breathing and can even completely block it.
- Reducing the risk of respiratory disease – when the mucus dries out, all processes of neutralizing bacteria and viruses are blocked, which can lead to otitis, bronchitis, sinusitis and pneumonia in a dry room.
- Reducing the risk of exacerbation of allergic reactions – thanks to the purchase of an Electrolux EHU 3715 D humidifier, which is an “air wash”, a significant amount of allergens can be eliminated from the room.
- Healing and rejuvenating effect on the skin – eliminates peeling due to low humidity, irritates the skin and reduces the number of wrinkles.
In addition, humidifiers support the human immune system in working condition, prevent dehydration.
Ultrasonic devices are the most popular humidifiers on the market. These devices form cold steam. In fact, water is converted into small particles due to the vibrational frequencies of the ultrasonic membrane installed inside the structure.
Note! An ultrasonic humidifier allows you to manually adjust the required humidity index of the room due to the built-in hydrostat.
When a liquid is running out in the device’s tank, the automatic shut-off function is triggered. Ultrasonic humidifiers work almost silently, and their energy consumption is minimal.
There are often comments on forums that ultrasonic-type humidifiers are harmful to a child’s health. But the medical opinion of most experts suggests that such reviews can only be considered as the result of improper use of devices.
Most often, customers note the benefits of climate technology:
“When a child appeared in our family, the doctor advised to buy a humidifier in order to correct the microclimate in the children’s room. I reviewed a lot of information before I stopped at the Polaris PUH 3504 humidifier, the reviews about this device were good and the price suited me. The device copes well with the task entrusted to it, can work for a long time without topping up the water. This humidifier suits me completely. ”
Ekaterina Solntseva, St. Petersburg
“I have repeatedly heard about Polaris humidifiers reviews from friends and neighbors. I decided to buy myself such a device. In winter, the radiators dry the air very much, it becomes difficult to breathe. Yes, and sleep in such conditions is simply unbearable. I took the model PUH 3005 DI, designed for a room with a size of 30 m ?. This humidifier has a good capacity (5 liters), but it is quite compact and looks neat. It is very convenient to use: it has a light indication to control the amount of water in the tank, a timer designed for 8 hours. It works almost silently. I am very pleased with my purchase and recommend it to everyone. ”
Svetlana Bendas, Bratislava
Ultrasonic humidifiers for the formation of water dust using a frequency of waves equal to 5 MHz. But it can not be harmful to the child, as it is completely safe for health.