Today there are a huge number of options for finishing the walls. The bathroom is a special room with a specific microclimate, which is characterized by high humidity and significant temperature differences. Therefore, making out design of the room, many choose the tile and PVC panels. However, a good alternative with distinctive positive characteristics is the wallpaper for the bathroom, which is devoted to this article.
Bathroom wallpaper: advantages and disadvantages of finishing material
Choosing the lining for the bathroom, first of all it is necessary to be guided by the special microclimate of the room. The wallpaper is characterized by the appearance of blisters and stains under the influence of water vapor on a paper basis, which will later cause fungus and mold on the walls. Therefore, wallpaper should be selected exclusively waterproof.
The characteristic advantages of waterproof wallpaper for the bathroom:
- low cost of material and work;
- the process of pasting is not time consuming, which allows you to do the work yourself, without the involvement of specialists;
- the ability to quickly transform the room, which is limited to a few hours of work;
- a wide range of different options and high decorative characteristics make it possible to embody any design idea;
- the ability to quickly update the premises, which is associated with easy dismantling of wallpaper;
- finishing does not need special care;
- after contact with water, stains do not remain on the surface of the wallpaper.
This facing material has its own weaknesses. First of all, for the bathroom you can not use simple paper wallpaper, which quickly lose their original appearance and the possibility of further use, which is associated with the constant impact of high temperature variations and moisture. Due to the high hygroscopicity of the material under the influence of water vapor will accumulate moisture and swell, which will subsequently lead to the exfoliation of the product.
You should not choose to wallpaper ordinary glue. It will absorb moisture, swell and spoil the appearance of the lining.
Helpful advice! For pasting wallpaper in the bathroom, you should choose an adhesive that has an anti-fungal composition and increased adhesion.
There are several varieties of moisture-resistant wallpaper that can be used for rooms with high humidity. These include: vinyl, washing, self-adhesive, liquid wallpaper and glass wall.
The most affordable option is to use washable wallpaper as a finish for a bathroom. The material can be made on a different basis. A special moisture-resistant coating is applied to the surface of the product, which is not afraid to contact with water. From such a surface dust and dirt can be easily removed. There is no soil for the development of microorganisms, which eliminates the likelihood of mold and fungus. Washable wallpaper is able to withstand high humidity and a long period to maintain an attractive original appearance.
This material is characterized by such advantages:
- due to the strong structure of the wallpaper have a high resistance to mechanical damage;
- material is characterized by a long service life;
- possesses good adhesion, thanks to which the product can be glued onto a concrete base, plaster or paint;
- Wallpaper does not require special care, the surface is easily cleaned with a damp sponge;
- easy and quick installation and easy disassembly of the product.
The main drawback of washable wallpaper is low vapor permeability, so the bathroom needs good ventilation and regular ventilation. It is possible to buy washing moisture-proof wall-paper in a bathroom on average for 1100 rub. / Roll.
Depending on the degree of moisture resistance, washable wallpaper is divided into several types, each of which has its own label:
- one wavy line indicates a low moisture resistance, which eliminates the active washing of the surface;
- two wavy lines define a moisture resistant material that can be treated with mild detergents;
- three wavy lines mean moisture-proof and durable material that can be cleaned with aggressive detergents;
- marking in the form of a brush and a wavy line indicates that the product can be operated with a stiff brush without fear of disrupting the integrity of the material;
- A brush with three wavy lines is a dense and durable material that can be safely treated with aggressive cleaning agents and a stiff brush.
Helpful advice! Washable wallpaper is better to choose a calm color scheme, because the bright colors can quickly lose its original appearance with frequent washing of the surface.
Vinyl wallpapers are available on non-woven or paper base. The top layer of products is presented in the form of polyvinyl chloride, capable of enduringly withstanding high temperatures and moisture without losing the original appearance.
Vinyl wall-paper for a bathroom (a photo visually display various options) can be such types:
- flat vinyl is represented by a product with a continuous pattern, which is applied by embossing;
- shiny smooth or embossed silk screen with imitation of silk;
- foamed vinyl with a pronounced relief surface, especially resistant to mechanical stress and moisture, and in terms of strength similar to ceramic granite;
- polyple film in the form of a multilayer material that can withstand high humidity and washes well;
- hard vinyl is a unique material capable of removing harmful substances from walls.
Important! Foam and embossed vinyl is able to hide all the flaws of the base, and silk screening – to emphasize.
Vinyl wallpapers have characteristic advantages:
- are environmentally friendly and safe material;
- The product contains antifungal components;
Wallpapers are a universal material for interior decoration. Among the variety of colors and textures you can find not only traditional motifs, but also pick up the necessary pattern with imitation of stone, brick, marble and wood. You should also be guided when choosing a wallpaper in the bathroom with consumer reviews, which represent the real characteristics of products, and will help determine the type of material for a particular case.