Siphon for a sink with overflow is an important part of the sewer system. It is a curved pipe, at the bend of which water is constantly located. Siphon performs the function of a water seal, that is, it creates a water barrier that prevents unpleasant sewage odors from entering the room. It is installed on almost all plumbing fixtures. When changing plumbing siphon is also to be replaced.
Varieties of siphons
The modern sanitary market can offer customers siphons for the toilet, bath or sink. For installation under the sink, three different types of water seals are used:
Such a name was the drain device due to the presence of a sump, which has the shape of a bottle. From the middle part there are two pipes, one connects to the plumbing drain hole, and the second directly to the sewer. Bottle siphons for the sink with overflow – ideal for installation under the sink. They have several advantages:
- hydrovalve cleaning is performed without complete dismantling;
- additional connections can be connected to the device, for example, to drain a washing machine;
- in the sump of the bottle siphon it is easy to find an accidentally missing valuable trifle.
Separately, it is worth noting the disadvantages. Bottle siphon suggests a large number of connections, which can easily cause leaks.
The simplest version of the siphon for a sink with overflow is a corrugated curved plastic pipe, which is fixed with special clamps. The advantages of such a water barrier are as follows:
- the smallest number of connecting elements to avoid leakage;
- plasticity and the possibility of stretching allow you to install the hydraulic valve, even away from the sink;
- fairly easy installation and connection.
But there are also disadvantages to such products. Inside, such a sump has a grooved surface, which causes more rapid clogging. To clean this design will require its complete dismantling. Manufacturers can offer and combined models. There are bottle-type siphons equipped with a corrugation leading to the sewage system.
Such products are most often installed under the baths, but they are also quite suitable for installation under a conventional or false sink. The rigid curved pipe is a rather strong construction. But installing it is much more difficult than the corrugated version. The main disadvantage of this option is considered to be rather large sizes. The tubular siphon takes up quite a lot of space. If you plan to install a small sink, then you should choose another model.
If non-standard washbasins or sinks are used for installation in an apartment, then they need special siphons. Quite often, with such sinks, settlers with all nozzles are included, then there is no need to search and buy a suitable hydraulic lock separately.
An example of special products is a double siphon designed for installation under a sink with two bowls. This option is much more economical than installing two separate strapping.
Overflow is an additional pipe, due to which water, having reached the maximum mark, can flow into the sewage system. Such equipment is a kind of protection from the transfusion of water over the edge of the sink, if it cannot leave in the usual way. An additional hole in sinks or sinks came up not so long ago. This is an excellent protection of premises from flooding. Hydraulic backing with overflows are currently in the greatest demand. Almost all types of siphons are equipped with such an additional function.
The first thing you need to pay attention to is the material. Manufacturers offer plastic or metal products. A siphon for a sink with a plastic overflow is the most economical option, since its price is much lower. It is quite durable, does not corrode. Such a trap is easy to install and, if necessary, dismantle it. Metal products can be made of cast iron or various bronze-brass alloys. Such binding is much more expensive and it is much more difficult to install because it does not stretch like corrugated plastic.
Food waste chopper for the sink: what it is and why it is needed in the kitchen. Installation and operation rules. The main characteristics and parameters of the chopper chopper, manufacturers review.
If there is an overflow hole in the sink, then it is necessary to clarify the presence in the kit of an additional tube through which the spare drain is carried out. Installation on a sink with such an opening of a conventional siphon can cause flooding of the apartment, since water will have nowhere to go.
Before buying a hydraulic valve, you need to decide where the siphon will be located: in the cabinet or leg of the sink, or it will be visible. For the first option, the simplest plastic model will fit, and you can quickly replace it if necessary. If the entire drain system is outside, then you can choose a decorative option. Modern manufacturers will offer ready-made straps with a chrome-plated or non-ferrous metal.
Helpful advice! When choosing a suitable model of hydraulic banding, it is necessary to check the capacity of the siphon from the seller. If it is small, then the flood in the apartment is provided.
To understand how to properly assemble a hydraulic valve, it is worth considering its constituent elements. Usually the kit includes:
- sump (housing);
- branch pipe (final);
- rubber gaskets and plugs;
- nuts with a diameter of 32 mm from plastic;
- tapered rubber cuffs (32 mm);
- coupling screw;
- outer lining on the sink with grill;
- overflow tube.
The rubber pads included in the kit should be strong and reliable. If their thickness is less than 3-5 mm, then it is worth purchasing separately more dense ones. Additionally, you will need to buy an adapter to the sewer pipe, if the outlet from the siphon has a diameter less than 50 mm.
Helpful advice! You can purchase siphons with a stepped outlet to the sewer. In this case, you can simply cut off the extra steps, and buy an additional sealing gum.
Usually an installation instruction is attached to the sink strapping kit. The detailed scheme will make it possible to install the water trap without any errors and special problems. Installation procedure:
- First you need to check the fit of the grate at the drain hole. A suitable mesh should be slightly recessed. With a high landing of this element, the water from the sink will not go away completely;
- for installation of a lattice special laying is used. On the reverse side of the sink, the outlet is attached with a thick cuff attached to it and the docking screw is tightened;
- further, a nut and a tapered gasket are put on the pipe. Its correct location implies a small gap of 3-5 mm between it and the edge of the outlet element;
- after that, the nozzle is inserted directly into the siphon itself and all elements are fastened with nuts;
Helpful advice! When tightening the screws do not use the key. The tie must be made by hand to avoid excessive load on the plastic elements.
- if there is an additional outlet for a washing machine that will not be used yet, it should be closed with a special plug;
- after that, a corrugated pipe is attached to the lower outlet of the siphon, which subsequently connects to the sewer line;
- A tube is installed on the additional overflow outlet and connected to the small upper hole in the sink.
After the installation is completed, it is necessary to check the performance of the entire structure. To do this, turn on the water at maximum power and check all connecting joints. If water droplets have not appeared anywhere, it means that the installation was done qualitatively. Sometimes during assembly, it may be necessary to lubricate some elements with a sealant, but in the event of a water jam, such a structure cannot be disassembled quickly.