This article discusses homemade machines and accessories for a home workshop. Here are described in detail the features of the most popular and necessary tools, made by hand, as well as accessories for a workshop or garage, step-by-step technologies for their manufacture and other useful recommendations on this topic.
Homemade machines and accessories for the home workshop: general information
Each owner of the garage or workshop, depending on their needs, selects the equipment. Many of them know how to make home-made machines and accessories for garages, therefore, they manage with their own resources when arranging the premises, adjusting the technical features of the structures under them.
So, when creating a metal plumbing workbench with your own hands, the drawings and dimensions of the product on them can be tailored to the parameters of the room and other conditions. Even for a small home workshop you need to allocate enough space to accommodate at least the design of the universal folding workbench and the minimum set of tools. The required area for this is at least 3-5 m ?.
Helpful advice! It is better to equip the workshop in a separate room, so that the noise from the work of a home-made grinding machine for wood and other tools does not interfere with the residents. Under the placement of machines can take the garage, which is sufficient for comfortable work and installation of equipment.
In fact, it is very difficult to achieve optimal working conditions. It is desirable that the size of the room was not less than 6.5 m. For the arrangement of the workshop, you can make an extension to the house or garage. This solution will be the most profitable in any case.
Before you design a drawing of a folding workbench with your own hands, which has the most dimensional design (therefore, its dimensions are taken into account in the first place), you should decide on some points:
- indicate what types of work will be performed in the workshop;
- determine the list of necessary tools and equipment.
With the help of mounting the tool on the wall, you can significantly save useful space in the workshop. For this perfect shelves or racks. It is possible to successfully arrange these structures, achieving the most rational distribution of the area.
In order to save space, you can get a special device for a circular saw with your own hands, made on the basis of a conventional drill. Such a universal machine can perform several functions at once, combining the possibilities:
- circular saw;
- grinding machine;
- mini turning lathe for wood;
- cutting machine.
The desktop can be combined with a vice for the joinery workbench and can be equipped with drawers to store small tools.
Metal structures are more durable and reliable, and wood – are available in the price.
There are several options for rational storage of tools:
- wall shelves;
- racks for the tool the hands;
- suspended ceiling shelves;
- shelf shelves for hanging small tools.
Helpful advice! Shelf-shield is very convenient for plumbing and carpentry work. On it you can install holders or hooks for tools, small shelves or containers for fasteners. It is best to hang such a design above the folding joinery bench. You can even bring additional lighting. It is better to use a small lamp for this.
Manufacturing technology shelves for tools with their own hands (shield):
- A shield is cut out of the plywood sheet, the places where shelves will be installed are marked on it.
- Using a jigsaw, saw off shelves with side walls. The length of these sides must coincide with the length of the shield.
- Shelves for tools are assembled and fixed onto the surface of the shield using long self-tapping screws.
- Mounting hooks. There are holes in the shield where the dowels are installed. They need to twist special hooks equipped with threads. Pre-costs to distribute the entire instrument and mark the point where it will hang.
- Brackets or eyelets are mounted on the rear wall of the structure.
It remains only to fix the shelf-shield on the wall. To prevent the lugs from slipping off the anchors, it is recommended to fix them with special washers.
The drawing of the joinery workbench should contain the following details:
- Working surface – for its production it is recommended to take a board 6 cm thick and more. Suitable wood species such as oak, hornbeam or beech. Allowed to use several narrow boards, pre-treated with linseed oil.
- On the top cover the design of a self-made vice is mounted with your own hands, which should also be added to the drawing. If you intend to install a product of large size, for its manufacture it is better to take wood. Production and the subsequent installation of a small metalwork vice with the hands from steel is allowed.
- Workbench supports – can be made of lime or pine. Between them, be sure to establish a longitudinal connection in the form of strips. This will increase the stability of the table.
- Shelves for storing tools – mounted under the workbench. Designs can be fixed or retractable.
Helpful advice! The linear parameter of the workbench can exceed 1 m. The increased size of the structure can be used to set up a joiner’s vice in the amount of two pieces.
There are several modifications of workbenches:
- folding (universal).
Having familiarized with the device of the wood workbench, you can proceed to its manufacture.
Step-by-step manufacturing technology of a design:
- For the manufacture of the lid of the wooden joinery workbench will need to take thick boards. The size needs to be chosen so that as a result of their connection, a shield with the parameters of 0.7 x 2 m is obtained (the length can be less than 2 m). As fasteners, you should use long nails that need to be hammered from the front side and bend from the inside out.
- It is possible to finish the lid, securing the timber with a section of 50×50 mm along its lower perimeter.
- Depending on the size of the joinery (its covers) are vertical supports. For their manufacture is taken timber (12x12x130 cm). At this stage, it is necessary to take into account the height of the working surface, because it should be comfortable. The upper limit of the support should be at the level of the arms down. Subsequently, due to the installation of the cover, about 8-10 cm will be added to this indicator. The marking for the installation of the bars should be applied to the ground and these elements be dug to a depth of 0.2-0.35 m.
- Next is the installation of the frame part and the cover of the workbench of wood with their own hands. The installed support bars need to be connected in pairs. For this, wide boards are used, fixed at a height of 0.2-0.4 m with long self-tapping screws. At the ends of the supports fixed cover with the same fastener.
Note! Do not use nails for mounting the cover. In the process of driving them, the frame part of the product can move.
Despite the fact that the technology of creating this design is in many respects similar to the previous version, for the manufacture of composite carpentry workbench drawings with dimensions will be required without fail. But in this case, bolts are used instead of screws.
In addition, in the folding universal workbench with your own hands, you can install drawers for storing tools.
Manufacturing technology folding workbench do it yourself:
- Vertical supports are installed in a similar way and are interconnected by means of horizontal bridges. Before mounting the jumpers, they should be grooved for nuts and washers. It’s better to use a hammer and a chisel.
- When the jumpers are set at the required level, through holes are made in the horizontal bar and vertically mounted support. A long bolt will be inserted here. On the side where there is a groove for fasteners, put the nut and washer, after which the element is well tightened.
- Horizontal jumpers for the frame part of the homemade joiner’s workbench will need 2 pcs. on each of the 4 sides. You also need a pair of jumpers for installation under the work surface (in the center). Items under the table top are designed for drawers. The distance between these jumpers should correspond to the size of the boxes.
- Bolts are used for fixing the working surface. At the ends of the supports, mounting recesses are prepared, and on the table top – holes for fasteners. The bolts are installed so that their heads are recessed (1-2 mm).
Note! Drawings of a folding workbench are not as complicated as they may seem. The advantage of the design is that any damaged part can be easily replaced with a new one.
Usually workbenches are completed with a vice. How to make such an instrument with your own hands is known by many owners of garage workshops. For homemade design will need special studs. Such fasteners are sold in hardware stores.
For beginners, experts recommend using additional materials to create a vice with their own hands: video how to make such a tool can be easily found on the Internet.
To work, you need a special screw pin. This part, having a thread, is the main active component of the design. The minimum diameter of the pin is 2 cm, the length of the thread is 15 cm. The longer this part is, the wider the vice can be made. If it is these dimensional parameters that you take into account with your own hands in the vise drawings, you can get a construction that is divorced by almost 8 cm.
The tool sponges are made from a pair of boards. One part of the part will be fixed. To make it you need to take a pine. The second part of 2×1.8×50 cm will move. In each of these boards, you need to drill a screw hole. With the help of a drill with a diameter of 1 cm, holes for studs are formed in all boards simultaneously. So that the holes do not move relative to each other, you can connect them with nails.
After all the holes are made, the screw and all the studs are inserted into them along with the washer and nut.
Helpful advice! To be able to process workpieces of different sizes, you need to make the studs swapable. It will be necessary to make a couple of additional holes in each of the boards located close to the screw clamp.
Additionally, you can use your own video to create a vice – the material below.
For locksmith work, it is better to make a metal workbench with your own hands, because a wooden one will not work for this. The fact is that wood is not so durable. In addition, when working with metal blanks, the tabletop of this material will be constantly damaged and will quickly become unusable.
On the general drawing of the plumbing workbench, you can select five main components of the structure:
- For the longitudinal rigidity of the product, horizontal beams (3 pcs.) 6x4cm in size are used. Length – a little more than 2 m.
- Rack-mount small-size beams (9 pcs.) Of shaped tubes 6×4 cm in size. They are used to assemble the frame part of the thumbs. In the corner area there are welded struts made of steel strips. Due to all these elements, the frame is tough and very durable.
- Rack girders (4 pcs.) 9-10 cm long (section 6×4 cm). To do this, it is better to use metal tubes with thick walls (more than 2 mm).
- Corner number 50 (4 pcs.), Which will be used as vertical racks. The height of these elements is -1.7-2 m. Work tools will be attached here.
Sizes of metalwork workbench:
|Workbench parameters||Size, cm|
|Clearance between thumbs||700|
Helpful advice! In order to make high-quality seams, it is recommended to use a semi-automatic carbon dioxide. Skilled craftsmen can use a pulse type welding machine. In the absence of skills in handling this tool, it is better to entrust the work to professionals.
Making a universal workbench with your own hands begins with the assembly of the frame. To do this, take a pair of short and a pair of long beams. In the process of welding, these elements may be twisted.
To prevent this, you must:
- Put the parts on a perfectly flat plane.
- At the locations of the docking points (there are 4 of them), the beams are caught using the spot welding method.
- After that, all welding seams are fully performed. First on one side of the frame, then on its back side.
Then mount the rear vertically arranged rack and rear beam (long, one of three). Be sure to check how smoothly they are placed relative to each other. If there are any deviations, the beams can be gently bent with a hammer. At the end, the remaining rack elements are assembled with a vertical pattern of location, as well as elements that provide rigidity.
When the frame is ready, it can be welded to the corners, designed to strengthen the structure. The table top is formed from wooden planks. Pre-impregnate them with flame retardant liquid. Then a sheet of metal is laid on top.
On the vertical rack elements you can fasten a shield made of plywood for tools. The same material is used to sew up thumbs. For boxes, you can use metal boxes or make wooden structures.
You can use to more fully understand the technology of making a workbench with your own hands, the video that is posted below:
In the technology of making a lathe on a tree with their own hands a special place is occupied by the bed. From this part directly depends on the work of other parts, as well as the stability of the whole structure. It can be metal or wood.
Helpful advice! For the manufacture of a standard lathe on a tree with his own hands, it is better to use an electric motor that is capable of speeds of 1,500 rpm. The optimal power rating is 200-250 W. If you plan to process large pieces, you can increase the capacity.
To create a turning – copying machine on a tree with your own hands, you can use the old manual router, which is no longer needed. This tool is placed on a plywood platform with a thickness of 1.2 cm and a size of 20×50 cm. Previously, it must be drilled for milling cutters and fasteners. This will be mounted stops from the bars. They are necessary to ensure that the mill is in a fixed state. The router itself is fastened with two nails between the latches.
In fact, it is completely easy to make a copying design of a homemade lathe on a tree with your own hands – video – there is enough material in the network.
For the base is better to take a steel profile with thick walls. To make the construction reliable, it is recommended to use two supports. Over them will be installed bed. For fastening parts used slot type of connection. First you need to make support platforms designed for attendants (back and front).
The list of parts for a lathe on a tree (how to make the assembly itself based on this list is easy to understand):
- Power component – you can use an electric motor from an old pump or washing machine.
- Grandma (back) – suitable head from a drill with a high power reserve.
- Grandma (front) – for the organization of this part it is better to buy a factory spindle, equipped with 3-4 pins. This makes it possible to displace the workpiece with respect to the rotational axis.
- The supporting element – a table for incisors can be completely any configuration, as long as it provides comfort during operation.
- Pulley – is a connecting element between the headstock and the shafts in the electric motor.
Note! To work with this design, you will need to purchase a set of factory cutters. If you have the right tool, you can make it yourself, but you will need tool steel.
As ancillary information, you can use video to assemble a lathe on a tree with your own hands, reflecting this process in detail.
An alternative solution would be to manufacture the construction of a simple mini lathe on a tree with your own hands on the basis of an electric drill. This example of technology can be used as a test before building a more serious tool.
This type of machine is suitable for processing small wooden workpieces. The material for the bed can serve as wood bars. The tailstock can be replaced by a combination of a shaft mounted on a thrust bearing. To fix the workpiece will need to get the appropriate nozzle on the drill.
This design has its drawbacks, they are associated with:
- high probability that errors will occur in milling;
- low level of reliability;
- the inability to carry out processing of wooden blanks of large size.
But you should not abandon this option, because it is the basis for technologies to create more sophisticated and complex turning tools. In order to correctly calculate the design, determine for yourself the necessary operational properties and technical characteristics.
The technology in this case is complicated only by the correct choice of blanks, which not only must have the cutting edge hardness corresponding to the requirements, but also be correctly installed in the fixture – the holder.
Note! In the absence of tool steel, you can do with improvised means. After the preliminary preparation stage is completed, the material is additionally hardened.
Recommended types of blanks:
- The bars are steel reinforcement – it is better to use options that have factory original dimensions and a square section.
- Files or rasps – worn blanks will do, however it is not allowed to take material with deep chips or cracks into the work.
- Automotive springs – before applying these blanks, they will need to square, which not everyone can do. For this purpose, useful welding machine. Suit and autogen.
The machine can provide for the possibility of changing the incisors. For this purpose, a special modification of the case with the necessary mounting parts is made. These elements must be strong enough to withstand the load during operation and at the same time maintain the original location of the edge portion.
When the cutter is made, it is sharpened, and the cutting edge is hardened. After the cutting part is hot, the cutter should be dipped in engine oil. With the help of slow quenching technology, the surface of the product can be made as solid as possible. In this case, the heated billet should cool in the natural mode.
For the manufacture of sharpened from the engine from the washing machine with their own hands, you can limit the motor from the old Soviet design, for example, SMR-1.5 or Riga-17. The power of 200 watts will be enough, although you can increase this figure to 400 watts by selecting another engine option.
The list of parts required for a grinding machine with your own hands includes:
- tube (to carve the flange);
- nut for fixing the stone on the pulley;
- metal for the manufacture of protective cover for sharpening their own hands (thickness 2, -2.5 mm);
- grinding stone;
- electrical cable having a plug;
- device to start;
- a corner from metal or a bar from a tree (for a bed).
The diameter of the flange must correspond to the dimensions of the sleeve on the motor. In addition, the grindstone will be put on this item. On one side, this element is threaded. The indent should be equal to the thickness of the circle multiplied by 2. The thread is applied with a tap. On the other hand, the flange must be pressed onto the motor shaft by heating. Fixing is carried out by bolted or welding connection.
Helpful advice! The thread must go in the opposite direction with respect to the direction in which the rotational movements of the engine are carried out. Otherwise, the nut fixing the circle will unwind.
The working winding of the motor is attached to the cable. It has a resistance of 12 ohms, which can be calculated using a multimeter. The starting winding for the knife sharpener will have 30 ohms. Then the bed is made. It is recommended to take a metal corner for it.
Some people need a chainsaw sharpener. With your own hands you can make such a construction from a bed with 3 supports, two spindles, a stepper motor (2 kW) and pipes used as holders.
Creating a table for a hand-held circular saw with your own hands is the most important step in the creation of the machine, since this design will house the main parts of the equipment in the form of:
- power unit;
- control block;
- cutting component;
- other components.
The support frame on the table for hand tools serves as a guide for a circular saw with your own hands. It controls the direction in which the cut is carried out and fixes the workpiece.
Sawmill – modification of the circular saw. The only difference is that the disk is located below. The design of the table for a circular saw with their own hands the function of the bed. The power unit, the block, the fixing disk and the monitoring system are also installed here.
At the design stage for a circular saw with your own hands, drawings should be taken into account some factors:
- The depth to which the material will be cut – the indicator depends on the geometry of the disk.
- The power level of the electric motor – will be enough specific indicator of 800 watts.
- Control system installation area – control should be located as far as possible from the disk.
- Rotational speed – the minimum permissible value is 1600 rpm, otherwise a color change will occur during the cutting process.
Helpful advice! If the table is made under the manual version of the tool, it is recommended to make the tabletop metal. Sheet metal should be equipped at the base with ribs.
First, the tabletop is made of sheet material. The marking is applied to it in accordance with the size of the toolkit. By this marking cuts are made to install the saw.
Next is performed:
- Installing a parallel stop for a circular saw with your own hands, made of wooden slats. The element is fixed on the table top.
- Groove for an emphasis – these elements are formed on a table-top by a milling method.
- Installation of a ruler for measurements – the installation area is located at the leading edge of the cutting element. The ruler will be used to control the dimensional parameters of the blanks.
- Clamp mounting is an optional component for fixing the workpiece.
For the machine from a circular saw with their own hands will require legs. They are mounted taking into account the dimensions of the tabletop of wooden bars with a section of 4×4 cm. The use of steel corners is allowed. To provide additional stability, stiffening ribs should be installed between the supports. Near the workplace placed control unit. Do not refuse to install the RCD and devices that protect the motor from overload.
Manufacturing technology homemade cutting machine:
- Cutting parts from the corner to assemble the frame (total size – 120x40x60 cm).
- Assembly of the frame by welding.
- Fixing of a channel (guide) by means of welding.
- Installation of vertical racks (2 pieces) on a channel (bolted connection).
- Assembling the frame from the pipes for the installation of the electric engine and the shaft under the necessary inclination (45×60 cm).
- Installing the plate with the engine in the back of the frame.
- Manufacturing of a shaft equipped with flanges, supports and a pulley (flange protrusion height – 3.2 cm).
- Installation of bearings, bearings and pulleys on the shaft. The bearings are fixed to the upper frame in the recesses made in the plate.
- Installation of the box with the electrical circuit on the lower part of the frame.
- Installing the shaft in the area between the racks. Diameter – 1.2 cm. A sleeve should be worn over the shaft with the minimum possible clearance, so that these elements slide.
- Welding of the rocker arm, made of channel (80 cm), on the sleeve. The size of the arms of the rocker arm should be within the following ratio: 1: 3. From the outside it is necessary to fix the springs.
Helpful advice! Experts advise the use of asynchronous motor. This motor is not particularly demanding. For networks with 3 phases, an engine with a power of 1.5-3 kW is required; for single-phase networks, this figure should be increased by a third. A capacitor connection is required.
It remains to mount the motor on the short arm of the rocker arm. On the long shoulder is placed the cutting element. The shaft and the motor are connected using a belt drive. For the table top you can use a sheet of metal, a planed board.
A good drawing of the drill machine from the drill with your own hands – the main condition to get the necessary tool. To create such a machine does not need to use special materials and buy additional components.
The components for the construction of a homemade drilling machine do it yourself:
- bed frame (base);
- rotary mechanism (drill);
- supply device;
- vertical stand for fixing the drill.
In the development of manufacturing technology of the drilling machine from the drill with his own hands video – the material can be invaluable help.
Guide to create a drilling machine with their own hands (how to make the simplest design):
- For the rack, it is better to use DPS to get a piece of solid or furniture plate thickness of more than 20 mm. This will reduce the vibration effect of the tool. Use of the basis from an old microscope or a photographic enlarger is allowed.
- The accuracy of the drilling machine from the drill with your own hands depends on the guides (2 pcs.). They serve as the basis for moving the pad on which the drill is located. For the manufacture of guides is best to take the steel strip. Subsequently, they will be securely bolted to the rack.
- For the pads, you need to take the clamps made of steel, thanks to which the rotational mechanism will be securely fixed on this part.
For a hand-made mini drilling machine, a rotary tool feed mechanism is required. The classical scheme of construction involves the use of a spring and a lever. The spring is fixed between the shoe and the stand.
There are many tools for sharpening drills with their own hands, video – material will help to understand this topic.
Software is considered an important component in a CNC milling machine on wood with your own hands. Drawings of a usual construction taking into account this condition should include additional elements for it:
- LPT port;
- CNC unit.
Helpful advice! For making their own copying and milling machine for wood or metal, you can use carriages belonging to the old printer. Based on these details, you can create a mechanism that allows the mill to move in two planes.
At the first stage, drawings are drawn up for the milling machine on the tree with their own hands, which include information on the placement of all components of the structure, their sizes, and fixing methods.
Next, the support frame is assembled from pipes, pre-cut into parts of the required size. For bonding you need to use a welding machine. Then, dimensional parameters are checked to begin fabricating the work surface.
We need to act within the framework of the following scheme:
- The marking is applied on DVP a plate and the table-top is cut from it.
- If the cutter will be placed vertically, you need to make a cutout for it in the slab.
- Mounting spindle and electric motor. In this case, the spindle should not go beyond the surface of the working surface.
- Set the limit strap.
Be sure to work is to test the machine. The included milling cutter should not vibrate too much. To compensate for this drawback, it is recommended to additionally install stiffeners.
Step-by-step instructions for making a homemade metal milling machine:
- The column and bed are made of a metal channel. The result should be a U-shaped design, where the tool base acts as the bottom cross member.
- Guides are made from the corner. The material must be sanded and bolted to the column.
- Guides for the console are made from a profile pipe with a square section. Here you need to insert pins with screwed threads. The console will be moved at the expense of a diamond-shaped car jack to a height of 10 cm. In this case, the amplitudes to the side are 13 cm, and the table top can be moved within 9 cm.
- The working surface is cut from plywood sheet and fastened in a screw way. Head fasteners need to drown.
- On the work surface, mounting of a vice is made of a pipe with a square cross-section type and a metal angle welded to each other. As a fixing element of the workpiece is better to use a pin covered with thread.
Note! It is better to fix the rotational element in the frame so that the spindle is pointing down. For fixing it is necessary to weld jumpers in advance, screws and nuts will be required.
After that, you need to attach a cone (Morse 2) to the spindle and install the collet or drill chuck on it.
DIY gauge drawings with a complex structure involve the use of expensive components:
- bearings with high wear resistance;
- steel sheets;
- notched teeth;
- powerful electric engine.
As a result, the cost of making a homemade gauge increase significantly. For this reason, many try to limit themselves to the simplest design.
Instructions for self-made thicknessing machine for wood:
|Bed||Frames (2 pieces), made with the use of welding on the basis of the angle (4-5 cm). The frames are joined at the expense of the studs (stocked 6-faces – 3.2 cm).|
|Broach||Rubber rollers of the release type from the washing machine. They are machined to the size of the bearings and put on the axle with a diameter of 2 cm. It acts due to the rotational manual movements.|
|Table||The polished board is attached to the frame by bolting, the heads must be concealed. Boards need to be treated with oil (already used).|
|Engine||on 3 phases, power – 5,5 kW, rotational speed – 5000 rpm.|
|Protective cover||Made of tin (6 mm) worn over the frame corner (20 mm).|
To create a homemade thicknessing machine, you need to place the plane on the bar, fix it with a device such as clamps, without forgetting to leave a gap.
Note! The size of the gap is set taking into account the thickness of the workpiece, which will be processed on the machine.
The scheme of making a plane gauge with its own hands is very simple:
- the support bar is fixed on a comfortable surface;
- the required gap size is selected by adding plywood interlayers;
- on the basis of the obtained clamp is attached to the construction of the surface gage from the electroplane.
Two clamps hold the base on the table, the other two – a plane. Convinced of the reliability of this mount, you can begin to use the tool.
Recommendations for the production of consumable belt grinding machine with their own hands:
- The optimum width of the sanding belt is 20 cm.
- The emery cloth of a tape is cut into strips.
- Sticker abrasive tape running back to back.
- To strengthen the seam, you need to put a dense material under the bottom.
- It is not recommended to use low-quality glue, as it will cause the material to rupture along the seam.
- The diameter of the shaft for the tape in the center should be 2-3 mm wider than the edges.
- To prevent the tape from slipping, it is recommended to wind it from thin rubber (bicycle wheel).
Calibration – grinding machines for wood belong to the group of drum structures. This category is extensive and includes many types of equipment.
For the manufacture of drum grinding machine for wood with your own hands, you can choose the following designs:
- surface grinding – the workpiece is processed in the same plane;
- planetary – with its help a flat plane is formed on the workpiece;
- circular grinding – it is used to process cylindrical billets.
From the video below, you can learn how to make your own grinding machine.
It is very important to set the equipment setting correctly in the designs of the self-made fugazalnaya machine so that the errors do not exceed the permissible values:
- perpendicular – maximum 0.1 mm / cm;
- the plane is 0.15mm / m.
The technology of making jointer do-it-yourself can be found with the help of video.
If during operation a mossiness or scorching effect appears on the surface being treated, then the cutting elements become blunt. In order to make the processing of parts with dimensions less than 3×40 cm more comfortable, they need to be held using pushers.
The curved surface of the workpiece after the machining performed indicates that the correct placement of the knives and the working surface is violated. These items need to be re-set.
All these machines can be useful for the repair in the house or an elementary repair things. Therefore, their presence in the home workshop will be superfluous. Regardless of how the garage will be equipped, all machines require a careful and attentive attitude. While working you should never forget about safety.