This article discusses such finishing materials as paint for walls in the apartment. In the text, you can familiarize yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of using paintwork compositions in residential premises by studying the classification of dyes, their characteristics and properties, and average prices. Consider the useful recommendations on the choice of finishes, taking into account the purpose of the room, as well as technologies and tips on the correct application of coating in different rooms.
Paint for walls in the apartment as a finishing material
The use of paintwork materials as wall finishes is widespread among apartment owners. The popularity of dyes due to the large number of advantages. For this reason, many consumers prefer to buy wall paint in an apartment instead of wallpaper and other finishing options.
The use of a variety of dyes opens up new possibilities in relation to the decor. Even if during the repair it is planned to paint the walls in a single color, there is always room for an interesting design. The coating can be decorated with patterns, designs, decorative elements and artistic compositions, or use textured paint to give the surfaces a beautiful texture.
Interesting fact! To date, there are more than 20 thousand. Textures and colors of decorative paint. This is a huge range to choose the right option to create the desired interior.
The advantages of using dyes as a finish:
- large selection of design options – using paintwork materials you can create an unusual and memorable interior, playing with textures, shades and patterns. A wide palette of colors for wall paints allows to achieve a variety of colors and nuances based on the basic shades;
- the coating does not attract pets – unlike wallpaper and other finishes, the painted surface in most cases remains intact. The likelihood that a pet will chew on corners or scratches is minimal;
- as a result of applying a good paint for the walls on a carefully prepared surface, you can get a decorative coating with a very long service life, during which it will maintain its attractive appearance;
- high-quality dye is easy to clean. Even wet cleaning cannot harm him;
- practicality and convenience – regardless of the choice of paint for walls in an apartment, the process of its application is very simple and does not require significant effort. Even if the room has a complex configuration that includes figured protrusions, columns and niches, wall decoration will not cause serious difficulties, which is not the case with decorative panels and wallpaper;
- after dyeing, there is always the possibility to mask minor defects if there is a residue of material on hand. Chips, scratches or permanent stains that can be easily tinted may occur on the surface;
- if the interior design of the room gets bored, it is easy to fix. Moreover, the changes can be either partial or complete. Such paint manipulations are much easier than with other finishes.
Also, it is worth getting acquainted with the disadvantages of the finishing material:
- qualitative result of staining is possible only with careful preparation of the base. Paint not only does not hide surface defects, but in some cases even emphasizes them. Therefore, you should study in detail the technology that describes how to remove paint from a wall or another type of finish in order to get a clean and even base;
- the coating is vulnerable to mechanical effects and abrasive loads;
- most paints tend to accumulate dust particles on the surface. For this reason, many consumers are trying to select washable paint for the walls in the kitchen;
- Some skills and knowledge may be required to work with certain types of formulations. For example, a violation of the technology of painting walls and ceilings with water-based paint can lead to the appearance of stains on the surface. And the use of cheap and low-quality composition leads to uneven distribution of texture and color.
Note! Selecting water-based paint for walls and ceilings, do not forget that the coating has not only a decorative, but also a protective function. The composition can protect the ceiling base from moisture, so it is recommended to buy material with antiseptic properties and components that minimize the development of fungi and mold.
The extensive offer of finishing materials makes the consumer think about what paint to paint the walls in the apartment in order to achieve the desired result. The owner of housing is primarily concerned with the decorative properties of the composition, namely its texture and color.
There are still a number of criteria, including the price of paint for walls in an apartment and its characteristics affecting the quality of the coating.
The main selection criteria to consider before purchasing:
- surface type;
- covering ability;
- application technology;
- care requirements;
- drying speed;
- degree of safety for human health;
- steam permeability;
- composition features.
Of course, the decorative quality of the finish is also important when choosing a material for painting walls. Photos of beautiful interiors, which can be found in magazines or on the Internet, vividly confirm the fact that high-quality wall decoration can complement and emphasize the design of the room.
Regardless of the color of the wall paint, when applied to a surface, the resulting coating may have varying degrees of gloss. Given this characteristic, there are several types of finishing materials:
Glossy surface coatings have one important advantage – ease of maintenance. This type of paint is less vulnerable to the negative effects of moisture and abrasive loads. This finish makes it easy to remove stains or dust from the surface of the wall. The disadvantages of such compositions include high requirements in relation to the base. The wall should have a perfectly flat surface, otherwise even small defects due to the light will be clearly visible.
Note! Do not use a glossy finish for a full finish. This type of composition is recommended to use for the ceiling or as an additional decor in order to focus on the individual elements of the room.
If the question is, what paint to paint the walls in the kitchen, it is better to stop on the glossy finish and combine it with other types of coating. It is great for rooms with high levels of humidity.
Opaque paints are mainly used for decorating residential premises. A smooth surface is created on the wall, thanks to which the coating visually masks minor irregularities. Having done your own hands painting the walls with water-based paint of light shades with a matte effect, you can visually expand the space, but, unfortunately, this surface is hard to clean. To remove the stain will have to use a damp sponge that can wash off a layer of paint. Therefore, in some cases, the area with pollution must be further tinted.
Semi-matte compounds are the middle link between glossy and matte dyes. They combine the same advantages and disadvantages as the above options.
Covering ability – the most important property of the dye. It depends on this indicator how monotonous and even the surface of the coating will turn out and whether the base will be visible through it. To determine the degree of covering ability, it is sufficient to check how many layers of dye need to be applied before the desired effect is obtained.
When using high-quality paintwork materials, it is often possible to dispense with a single application of paint on the wall. According to the manufacturers, one layer of paint will be enough, but according to consumer reviews, it would be wiser to first test the composition of the composition in a small area and, if necessary, double the result based on the paint consumption per 1 m2 of wall to paint in two layers. Also consider the color of the base.
Helpful advice! To find out which paint is better to paint the walls in an apartment, you can browse special catalogs from manufacturers, where it is clearly demonstrated what the finished result of painting a particular surface will look like.
The consistency of the dye affects the covering ability of the composition, its viscosity and the degree of spreading over the surface of the wall. Adhesive properties of the coating depend on this indicator. If the dye is too thick, the color may be uneven. In addition, the finishing of the walls will take a greater amount of material. On the other hand, the dense composition can be brought to the desired consistency. For this purpose, a base solvent or water for water-based paint types is used.
If the dye is too liquid, this may be fraught with a weak covering ability and the need to paint the surface in several layers. In addition, many apartment owners often have a question about how to paint the walls with water-based paint without streaks and streaks, which are inevitable in the process of surface treatment with too liquid composition.
Some manufacturers offer a practical and convenient solution to this problem – a dye with thixotropy. Such compositions can change the thickness of their consistency, depending on the nature of the impact on her or the lack thereof. In other words, if you mix the paint, it will become more liquid. At rest, the viscosity of the composition increases. The presence of this property manufacturer indicates on the packaging. These paints create a smooth surface without drips, but their cost is quite high.
When choosing a dye, it is necessary to pay attention to the technology of working with the composition. The quality of the result and the convenience of the process itself, as well as the texture of the structural compositions, depend on the instrument. Manufacturers usually indicate the method of application on the package in the form of an image of the recommended tool:
- spray gun;
To study the second angle you need to go when the distance to the edge is equal to the width of the roller. If the painting of the adjacent wall is carried out immediately, then you can do the second adjacent corner. If there is a putty on the wall, it is recommended to apply the composition three times. Each subsequent layer is applied after the previous one has completely dried. Manufacturers indicate complete drying time on the packaging or instructions for use. Most often it takes from 2 to 4 hours. If the finish involves coloring the wallpaper, you can limit it to one layer.
The process of painting the walls with a water-based composition is very simple and will not be difficult even for beginners. Photos, recommendations and video instructions will allow you to fully understand all the subtleties and avoid mistakes during work. Using paint, you can create a unique design using stencils, unusual tools, as well as a table of color combinations.