Bulk floor recently enjoys great popularity due to ease of installation, presentable appearance, high strength and durability. In addition, without any problems you can arrange a self-leveling floor with your own hands: step-by-step instructions for this are on many specialized sites. With the right approach, you get a beautiful and durable flooring, spending on this relatively little time and effort.
Types of self-leveling floors
If you want to know how to pour self-leveling floors with your own hands, then you should understand that there are several basic types of coating. It is mineral or polymeric. The first option is a mixture of various mineral fillers, cement, and modifiers, which give the mixture the viscosity. Polymer floors are a completely synthetic type of coating that has found application in industrial premises.
There are also 4 groups of coatings:
- polyurethane – is highly resistant to mechanical damage, elasticity and durability. In addition, polyurethane flooring boasts a high resistance to chemicals, temperature extremes and many other adverse effects. Therefore, this type of flooring is popular in manufacturing, industrial premises, unheated warehouses. Another advantage of this type of coating is that it is very easy to wash it both manually and automatically;
- epoxy – characterized by resistance to high humidity and impact resistance. Most often used in enclosed spaces where flooding often occurs or just work with water. If you want to fill the self-leveling floor with your own hands, the video with the appropriate instructions can be easily found on construction sites. This coating is cleaned using automatic or manual washing;
- epoxy-urethane – combines the positive features of urethane and epoxy coatings. Differs in the increased shock resistance and resistance to attrition, and also good elasticity. Scope of application – subway platforms or closed parkings;
- methyl methacrylate – can not boast such high performance characteristics as previous varieties, but has one significant advantage. This type of flooring can be used only 2 hours after its installation. The pouring itself must be carried out in a well-ventilated area, as the composition has a sharp unpleasant odor. This type of floor can be smooth, non-slip or rough.
Helpful advice! Choosing the type of coverage, be guided primarily by what type of room it will be used. An option that is well suited for residential premises may be completely unsuitable for production.
Like any other coating, self-leveling floors have their strengths and weaknesses. The advantages include the following:
- able to level any surface, which is especially important in rooms with uneven floors;
- they do not have seams in which microbes and dirt could accumulate;
- characterized by a long period of operation, and also do not lose the attractiveness of the appearance even after several years;
- almost immune to the effects of aggressive chemical environment;
- do not crack under mechanical effects, withstand shocks and drops of heavy objects;
- resistant to fire, do not emit harmful substances when heated;
- They are environmentally friendly, so they can be used in medical facilities or facilities for children.
Before you make a self-leveling floor with your own hands, you should know about its shortcomings:
- relatively small selection of design options compared to other types of flooring;
- before pouring the self-leveling floor, the surface must be long and carefully prepared, leveled and reduced the humidity level;
- dismantling the self-leveling floor is very difficult, which takes a lot of time and effort;
- Some types of self-leveling flooring may turn yellow when exposed to direct sunlight;
- price per square. m of the self-leveling floor is higher than for other types of flooring, as is the cost of installation;
- repairing the self-leveling coating is difficult and expensive;
- The material itself is also not low cost.
As can be seen from all these factors, before installing the coating it is worthwhile to think carefully about how appropriate it is. The price for a bag of 25 kg of a self-leveling floor may depend on the type of material, manufacturer and other parameters and vary over a very wide range.
In order to mount the self-leveling flooring, you do not need special construction skills or specialized tools. It is enough to take the following things:
- capacity in which the mix will be mixed;
- tape or thread for marking;
- special nozzle for a drill or construction mixer for mixing the solution;
- set of spatulas;
- needle roller for uniform distribution of the mixture on the surface;
- level and rule;
- personal protective equipment, special shoes and clothing.
If you use a self-leveling coating for casting, then it spreads itself evenly over the surface, so you can not use the roller. But to wear personal protective equipment is necessary, as the mixture may include aggressive chemicals.
Floors in the apartment: what to do and how to choose. Parameters that may affect the choice. Properties of various materials. Features of the floor in different rooms. Additional floor modifications.
As already mentioned, this type of flooring is relatively easy to install. For a successful casting, you need to adhere to a clear scheme, then your floor will be as attractive as possible and will last you for years.
You can install a filler floor on a concrete, wood or tile base. In each case, has its own characteristics that must be considered.
Helpful advice! Before pouring the mortar, make sure that the surface is flat. This is done using the construction level, and the maximum tolerance is 4 mm.
If you pour the solution on a concrete base, then it should be done in the following sequence:
- surface moisture is checked. It should not exceed 4%;
- tested for compressive strength and tear-off strength. The first parameter should be at least 20 MPa, and the second – 1.5 MPa. To test using special measuring devices;
- if the base has recently been laid, then it must be at least 28 days before the self-leveling floor will be installed on it;
- Old concrete base must be thoroughly cleaned from the previous coating. This involves removing traces of glue and paint, oil stains and other contaminants;
- then the surface is cleared of dust, chips and cracks are embedded in it. To do this, use the usual mortar, mixing it with resin. If the cracks are small, then building glue can be used. By means of the grinder small roughnesses are cleaned;
- checked the horizontal concrete base.
The video “how to pour self-leveling floors on a concrete base with your own hands” will help you avoid common mistakes, do everything quickly and correctly.
If we are talking about a wooden base, then you must perform the following steps:
- just as in the case of a concrete base, the humidity of the surface is checked. In this case, it should not exceed 10%;
- old skirting boards are removed, since new coatings will be installed after filling;
- wood is cleared of paint, varnish, glue and other contaminants with a spatula and a grinder;
- cracks open, and their edges are cleaned with sandpaper for better adhesion to the mortar;
- using a construction vacuum cleaner, dust is removed from the surface, and the plane itself is degreased with a cleaning agent;
- mortar or concrete screed is poured into the cracks.
In case you decide to pour a bulk coating on a ceramic tile, you need to check it for fixing strength. Items that do not hold well need to be removed, and gaps should be puttied. After that, the coating is degreased with an organic solvent, and a primer is applied on top.
The primer base is necessary in order to increase the level of adhesion with a liquid coating. If the base has a high porosity and surface roughness, then it must be primed several times. For this purpose, special primers with increased viscosity are used.
Helpful advice! When priming the base temperature in the room should be constant. Otherwise, you risk getting bubbles.
Apply a primer with a roller or a wide brush, and if you have an airless spraying machine, you can use it. After the first layer has dried, the second layer is applied, and so on, until the required thickness is obtained. It is highly recommended not to allow dust to settle on an already primed surface; this may impair the adhesion of the self-leveling coating.
The video “how to make self-leveling floors with your own hands” clearly shows that you need to start laying the coating only on a clean primer a day after it has dried.
When preparing the solution is very important to observe the correct consistency. It is achieved if you follow the instructions of the manufacturer, in which the necessary proportions are indicated. First, water is poured into the previously prepared container, into which the dry mixture is poured. The resulting solution must be mixed for 10 minutes using a construction mixer or a drill with a special nozzle.
In order to ensure good spreadability of the solution, there is a fairly simple test. To do this, take a plastic ring, the diameter and height of which should be about 5 cm. As such a ring you can use, for example, a cover from a can of shaving foam. The bottom of the cover is cut, then it is placed on a flat surface and the ready solution is poured into it. In this case, the lid is lifted, and the mixture spreads over the surface. The consistency is optimal, at which the diameter of the spread mixture is no more than 18 cm. If it is smaller, then water should be added to the solution, if it is larger, the dry mixture.
When preparing the solution, it is also important not to overdo it with water, otherwise the coating will not be sufficiently strong, it may cause cracks from mechanical loads.
Before starting work, you need to learn how to gradually make self-leveling floors with your own hands. One of the important points to consider in the first stage is the indoor microclimate. The temperature should be in the range of 15–25 ° C, and the humidity of the air should not be more than 80%. Under these conditions, you can get a flooring with a perfectly smooth surface, but excessive humidity, for example, will lead to the formation of condensation on the surface.
The cost of the mixture depends on its type, manufacturer, as well as many other factors. If you decide to install a color floor covering or a coating with a pattern, the price will be even higher. In this case, it is not recommended to save, as the price usually determines the quality of the finished coating. The cost of a mixture bag for a self-leveling floor will be about 200–500 rubles.
The phased installation of the self-leveling floor is as follows:
- The solution is poured on a previously prepared and primed surface. Each next portion is located near the previous one, a spatula is used for leveling. Layer thickness can be monitored using a squeegee.
- In order to remove air bubbles from the solution, a special needle roller is used.
- Thus, in several approaches the entire floor is poured.
- After the work is completed, the floor is covered with plastic wrap. This is done so that dust does not come to the surface, and the solution hardens evenly.
- On top of the frozen solution can be applied polyurethane varnish. This will give the coating an attractive sheen and improve its appearance.
Helpful advice! Start pouring the solution should be from the edge of the room opposite the entrance. At a time, it is worthwhile to finish pouring in the whole room, so you will avoid elevation differences.
A video of how to do self-leveling floors with your own hands will help you more precisely follow the above instructions, and also will clearly show how to use these or other tools.
You can use a self-leveling coating a week later, after it has been poured, and you can walk on it in 12 hours. It can be used as the main floor, and you can lay on top of carpet, parquet or laminate. If you are doing floors in a residential area and want to leave them as a finishing option, it is better to use decorative or three-dimensional self-leveling floors.
Bulk floor 3D: photos, prices and installation technology
The three-dimensional image on the floor is a great way to give the room a stylish and original look, show your design talents and surprise all guests. You can make such coverage with the help of qualified specialists, or you can do it yourself. The second option will take much more time and effort from you, but it will allow you to put any kind of picture on the floor. Of course, the cost of 3D floor will be much higher than usual, for m? have to pay from 5500 rubles. But the aesthetic qualities will differ significantly from a simple smooth surface.
The simplest variant of a volumetric floor is small objects poured into it, such as pebbles, shells or coins. The second in complexity is a photorealistic image. The most difficult thing to do on the floor is an optical illusion, but the showiness of such a floor will be at its best.
To start the installation of a self-leveling floor with a three-dimensional pattern is to choose a picture. It can be an image from the Internet, a frame from the film or even your own creation. When downloading pictures from the network, make sure that it has sufficient resolution – at least 300 dpi.
Best of all on the floor look pictures with the effect of depth. This may be the abyss, descent, water space. The water theme is generally very popular, as it looks beautiful in any room, has a calming effect on the psyche and has a voluminous effect.
As an image for self-leveling floor is not recommended to use:
- Pictures with monsters or grinning predators. Aggressive drawings can put pressure on the psyche and cause not the most pleasant sensations;
- images with dynamics. They can badly affect people with a weak vestibular apparatus;
- too bright and bulky pictures, flashy colors and aggressive color combinations. In such a room it will be hard to relax, and the abundance of bright color (especially red) is a strong irritant to the psyche;
- little things increased to a huge size. It will look not only tasteless, but also very quickly get tired.
Once the image is selected, you can proceed to the following steps.
In order for the picture to appear voluminous, you must perform the following steps:
- the room in which it will be applied to the floor should be photographed from the right angle. At the same time, it is important to take into account that some cameras are moving away or bringing objects closer to the photo, so the distance should be chosen so that the room looks like the photo from the threshold or from the desired point;
- In the graphic editor, the picture you choose is applied to the photo of the floor as you intend to arrange it in reality. So you create an optical illusion;
- in the picture, everything except the floor itself is clipped, with the image superimposed on it. As a result, you should have a trapezoid extended downwards, as the human eye sees the floor;
- A trapezoid is transformed into a regular rectangle using the appropriate tools in Photoshop or another graphic editor;
- The resulting image must be saved and printed in high resolution.
Helpful advice! If you do not know how to use graphic editors, then hire a designer for this or use the services of acquaintances. The price of a photo of a self-leveling floor with a three-dimensional image made in this way will still be lower than when contacting a specialized company.
In order for the picture applied to the self-leveling floor not to lose its appearance when it comes into contact with polymers or transparent varnishes, you need to use a special banner canvas for printing. It is designed for operation in difficult weather conditions, so it will well transfer the fill to the floor. Printing on the banner is carried out by specialized firms.
In order to be sure of the correctness of the selected image, you can first print it in the usual black and white version and put it on the floor to make sure that the picture looks the way you intended.
Printing on the banner should be paints that do not fade in the sun, as the floor will be constantly exposed to direct sunlight. In addition, polymers, which will be covered with a banner, can heat up when mixed, which can also adversely affect the picture.
In the 3D video self-leveling floor you can see with your own hands that the most common self-leveling flooring serves as the base, the installation process of which is described in detail above. The main requirement for this is the absence of stains and irregularities. If the picture is applied to a new newly laid floor, then no problems should arise at all, but the old foundation will have to be cleaned and leveled.
To remove irregularities, you can use a milling machine or conventional manual grinding. Particularly neglected contaminants must be removed with special formulations. If it turns out that nothing can be done with a small spot, then you can try to organically include it in the picture.
The finished banner with a picture is pasted on the liquid coating. The final stage of the step-by-step instructions for self-leveling floor with your own hands will be the application of the finishing layer over the drawing. A special plastic lens is poured onto the finished picture, and a wear-resistant layer is applied on top, which improves the performance properties of the surface. If you need a special optical effect, then in many advertising agencies you can order a special super-transparent lens.
It is best to fill the picture with polyurethane varnish. It does not tarnish over time, boasts durability and increased resistance to abrasion. Experts advise to give preference to varnishes and coatings of foreign production, as they are characterized by durability and resistance to mechanical damage.
Remember that when self-applying a photo, the price of a self-leveling floor for an apartment will be significantly lower than when contacting a specialized construction company.
The cost of a self-leveling floor depends on its thickness, bonding composition and other factors. Average price for screed m? is 210-350 rubles.
The finished floor has a high wear resistance, but it also requires regular maintenance. Usually it is banal to dry or wet cleaning. The polyurethane coating is dust-repellent, so it is not particularly difficult to clean it. You can use for this an ordinary vacuum cleaner or water with detergent.
The main requirement for the care of a self-leveling floor is to prevent heavy objects from falling if you use a decorative floor. Other types of coatings perfectly tolerate mechanical and natural effects.