The tradition to install the trim on the window in a wooden house does not pass over the years and is relevant today. Modern products can be made not only from wood, but also from other materials, and their functional purpose often comes down only to the decoration of the window opening. Making the frames yourself is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance, but it requires certain skills and tools.
Advantages and disadvantages of the frames
Before you start making carved frames on the windows in a wooden house, you should consider their advantages and disadvantages. The positive aspects of this element of home design include the following:
- with it, you can visually change the size of the window opening, for example, expand it or narrow it. This is very convenient in cases where the window in your house does not look exactly the way you would like. Also, the element affects the appearance of the entire facade of the house;
- emphasizes the original style of the building, and also allows you to combine all the buildings on the site into one architectural ensemble. If you make the patterns on the window frames of all buildings the same, it will create the impression of a holistic composition;
- protects the gaps between the window and the wall from moisture and dust. Increases the level of insulation and reduces noise from the street;
- is the only best option for the exterior decoration of wooden windows. Any other design option for a window opening in a wooden house will simply look inappropriate.
Installing platbands on windows in wooden houses can also have a number of disadvantages:
- The product is very dependent on external conditions, especially if wood is used for manufacturing. Wooden decorative elements can crack from frequent changes in temperature, swell from high humidity and fade in the sun. In order to prevent this from happening, wood must be treated with special compounds that prolong the life of the product;
- the need for regular care and treatment. The element will have to constantly open varnishes and paints, otherwise it will quickly lose the attractiveness of the appearance and will only spoil the facade of your house;
- inappropriate installation on modern plastic windows. For PVC windows, wooden backing can look alien, so it is recommended to install them on classic wooden frames.
Helpful advice! If you do decide to install the item with plastic glass, you should paint the frame under the tree, or paint the casing in white.
The type and design features of the casing are largely dependent on how this element will be attached to the window. According to the type of attachment, there are two main types:
- Overhead – mounted on the window frame with nails, screws or construction glue.
- Telescopic – have special L-shaped protrusions that go into the grooves of the window or door frame. This type of thicket is used to frame doors, not windows, and is more difficult to manufacture.
Also, the trim can be flat and standard, and the most attractive option in terms of appearance is the carved trim on the window. Life-size stencils can be easily found on the Internet. The carved version is usually made with the help of specialized equipment.
As for the material for the manufacture of this element of the design, then as it can be different types of wood, plastic, polyurethane, metal or laminated MDF. The first option is considered a classic and is most often used for decorating wooden buildings. Its advantages include the original appearance and style, and the disadvantages – a great dependence on external conditions.
The expediency of using plastic platbands on windows is due to the fact that, unlike wood, plastic does not swell from water, it withstands temperature changes and does not lose its attractiveness of appearance as a result of prolonged exposure to direct sunlight.
Slopes on the installed plastic windows do it yourself: video and installation instructions. Comparative characteristics of various options for finishing window blocks, installation of drywall.
Disadvantages – not such an authentic appearance and a violation of the general stylistic concept of a wooden house. However, this can be corrected if the plastic is decorated under the tree. Photos of plastic platbands on the windows, stylized for wood, confirm the relevance of such a decision.
Platbands from MDF are a border option between wooden and plastic products. They are made from waste wood production, so they can boast more environmental friendliness than plastic. They are also more resistant to moisture, ultraviolet radiation and temperature changes than natural wood. The photo frames on the windows of laminated MDF are indistinguishable from wooden.
Products made of polyurethane compare favorably with other types of fact that they are unpretentious in operation. You can buy a cabinet for a window in a wooden house made of polyurethane, install it and forget about its existence for a long time.
Metallic platbands are good if you need to protect the assembly seam from the outside or inside of the door or window. The metal product is connected to the profile box in a single structure.
If you decide to stay on the classic wooden version, then it is worth considering that the main operational characteristics of the casings depend on the type of wood from which they are made. There are the following options for carved window frames in a wooden house:
- solid hardwood – beech, ash, oak. These types of wood are characterized by durability and strength, but the pattern on hardwoods is difficult to cut without special equipment, it takes a lot of time and effort;
- from soft hardwoods – alder, linden, aspen. Such materials are much easier to process, and you can even cut patterns on them manually. On the other hand, such wood very easily absorbs moisture and becomes unusable under the influence of external adverse factors, therefore it needs special treatment and impregnation;
- coniferous and deciduous species – birch, pine. They have good performance characteristics, and are quite simple in processing;
- from apple or cherry tree – these varieties of wood are good for making individual decorative elements that are mounted on top of the main structure.
Helpful advice! The combination of several varieties of wood can give an interesting result from a decorative point of view, but do not forget about the practical side of the issue. Try not to use both soft and hard varieties, apply impregnation and coating.
There are a number of general points that should be paid attention to when making the frames:
- consider the color scheme of the walls of your home when painting decorative elements. This does not mean that the color of the wall and the casing should be the same, but there should not be any obvious contrast. In the first case, the element will simply merge with the wall, and in the second, it will destroy the integrity of the appearance. You can see the best options for color combinations on the numerous photos of window frames on the windows;
- The size of the casing is very important. They should not be too large or too small, since too large an element will obscure the window, and a small element will be lost against its background. The best option with the standard size of the window opening – 3-4 cm in width;
- very important is the quality of the coating, which is processed element. For this you need to use special varnishes and paints intended for external work. Be sure to take into account the climatic features of your region and choose a coating that will endure all the natural effects. And if a special fire-resistant impregnation is provided for your wooden house, then the frames should undergo the same treatment;
- for the manufacture of external carved platbands, you must create a template. You can do this by focusing only on your imagination or you can download one of the many options on the Internet.
As already mentioned, before you begin to create decorative elements for the window with your own hands, you need to make a template or stencil. It should be the same for all windows in order to give the whole house a uniform style. If you are new in terms of carving, it is recommended to use variants of drawings containing large elements that can be easily cut. In addition, it is worth considering that there are two main ways to create a thread:
- Printed carving is a continuous pattern that makes the decorative element look like an original wooden lace. Rather difficult to manufacture, but it looks very original.
- Laid on thread – the elements of the drawing are created separately, and then attached to the main board. This option is easier and better suited for beginners.
In the manufacture of a template trim on the windows with their own hands, stencils are recommended to use, regardless of the selected type of thread. In this case, the elements of the pattern should be placed along the wood fibers, so the thread will be insured against premature cracking.
To create a hand-made pattern for the window frames in a wooden house, you will need the following tools:
- hacksaw for wood;
- a set of special knives and various types of chisels;
- sanding or sandpaper;
- Manual or electric jigsaw;
- milling machine.
Photos of carved do-it-yourself do-it-yourself windows on a wooden house show that with certain skills and special tools, you can create a pattern of almost any complexity. The works themselves are performed in this order:
- measurements are taken. For a window in a private house, the standard dimensions have fairly floating values, so you need to make accurate measurements of the height and width of the opening;
- boards are selected from your chosen wood. Timber must be dry, otherwise the deformation of the pattern and the rapid loss of casing of attractive appearance. The width of the board is chosen depending on the size of the window opening, but the thickness should not be less than 30 mm, if you plan to make a slotted thread, and not less than 10 mm – for the invoice;
- on the sketches (pictures, templates) of wooden carved platbands, blanks are cut on the windows. This is best done with the help of specialized carpentry tools;
- from the inside of the casing, it is necessary to select wood to a depth of approximately 1-2 mm. Thus, you will provide a tighter fit of the element to the surface;
- the pattern, which is applied to the board in a pattern, is cut with a jigsaw and drills of various diameters;
- all holes and slots are processed with abrasive paper, after which it is necessary to remove wood dust and chips from the holes. This is done so that the fine dust does not interfere with further processing of the product;
- casing elements fasten to its wide base. This can be done with nails without caps or special construction glue for wood.
Helpful advice! It is not recommended to use self-tapping screws for fastening; this may damage the joint and also accelerate the cracking of the structure.
There are two common ways to attach a finished product to a window. The first of these is the installation on a thorn thorn. Such spikes are installed from the inside of the element, and special holes are drilled in the frame. Then on the spike you need to put a little wood glue and insert it into the groove. This type of fastening is good because it protects the installation of the casing from moisture and dust, and also does not spoil the appearance of the element.
The second installation option is a through spike. It is simpler, but less reliable, since water can get into the place of attachment, which will lead to damage to the casing. Therefore, the place of occurrence of the spike should be carefully painted over or varnished.
Both of these options make sense when mounting the casing is carried out on a wooden window. If we are talking about plastic windows, then you need to use liquid nails, which do not violate the integrity of the frame. The installation process is not affected by the standard size of the window for a private house or the original shape of the window opening.
It doesn’t matter whether you are going to buy carved frames for a window in a wooden house, or to make them yourself, such a product always requires special care and treatment. If we are talking about the classic version of wood, the wood should be treated with the help of special compounds that will protect it from cracking, wood parasites, fire and other negative effects.
Remember that the treatment should be repeated every few years, so you will not only significantly extend the life of the product, but also keep its attractive appearance for a long time.
If you have plastic, metal or polyurethane platbands installed, they do not need special care, the main thing is to update the paint in a timely manner and to ensure that the decorative elements are not affected by corrosion.