The process of warming the walls outside with expanded polystyrene with their own hands, the video of which is often found on the net, requires a detailed explanation. To use this modern, effectively protecting against cold material, you must first read about its technical characteristics. Expanded polystyrene has all the necessary qualities in order to be able to apply it to the exterior walls of buildings.
Technical characteristics of polystyrene foam
Without going into detail in the subtleties of production and the technical characteristics of polystyrene, consider the consumer properties of this heater. First, the material is sheet and rigid, which is very convenient, since it can be installed on any vertical and horizontal surface. Secondly, it tends to successfully retain heat in the room due to the fact that it consists of millions of granules filled with air mixture, which has a low thermal conductivity. Thirdly, the penoplex is durable and waterproof, which makes it possible to use it in quite harsh conditions.
From the listed properties, it becomes clear that the technical characteristics of polystyrene foam allow them to sheathe not only surfaces inside buildings, but also to mount it as a warming component for ventilated facade systems on the external walls of houses. How to do it correctly, will be discussed later.
In order to avoid trouble, before starting work it is necessary to carefully read all the rules of polystyrene installation, and then begin to perform work on the following steps:
- we carry out thorough surface preparation. If the walls of the house are made of bricks or light concrete blocks, and are covered with a layer of plaster from the top, then deep holes and cracks need to be patched with a putty. After it dries, the wall is primed to avoid mold growth. The main task is to make the foam panels fit tightly to the wall, without forming gaps. On the wooden log walls it is necessary to remove the irregularities and to cut off too much of the protruding parts of the logs. Since the surface of the expanded polystyrene itself is very smooth, it is desirable to scatter it with a needle roller in order to ensure good adhesion to the wall surface. Among other things, it is necessary to remove all foreign objects from the wall, including trim from windows and ebb;
- With the installation of the corner profile, the warming of the walls outside with foam polystyrene always begins. Video of his installation can be found on the network. To describe the whole process as follows. At the very bottom edge of the wall, bordering the foundation, they mark the places for holes, which drill and insert plastic plugs for screws in them. A galvanized steel profile, having a G-shaped form, is punctured with a perforated part on a line of holes and fastened with screws 3–4 cm long. The mounting step is recommended to be about 40 cm. , did not move down, but rested on it.
Helpful advice! When choosing a starting level (profile), you need to focus on the thickness of the material plates. Profile should not be thicker than them. The corners of the strap are fixed by the corner connectors, and between them the details of the profile are connected with plastic parts. These measures compensate for the thermal expansion of materials.
- glue for gluing the plates is prepared from dry powder, which is sold in the store. It is provided with cooking instructions, so there is no need to go deeper into this process. It is only important to note that its consistency must be such as to ensure the most convenient work with it;
- first of all they warm all the slopes of windows and doors. For this slab penoplex cut with a sharp knife to the required size. Glue is applied around the perimeter and in central places over the entire area of the plate. After that, with a force pressed to the surface;
Helpful advice! The best option for warming the outer walls of the building are polystyrene sheets with L-shaped edges. They allow you to completely overlap the joints between them, which prevents cold bridges from appearing in such vulnerable places.
- after the necessary slopes and other elements are warmed, proceed to warming the walls outside with expanded polystyrene with their own hands. Video editing clips are usually filled with various nuances, so it is recommended to watch them. Gluing start from the bottom row. Plates alternately spread with adhesive composition, put on the profile of one of the parties and forcefully pressed against the wall surface. When the first row is completed, the installation of the second one is started, but it is made so that the pattern of the joints resembles the brickwork, that is, with an offset from the first row.
The process of gluing the plates is very important. Therefore, the laying of slabs must be carried out by constantly checking the flatness of the lines with the help of a building level. It is necessary to observe a constant 2 – 3 millimeter distance between the plates, and the glue protruding from the intervals must be removed before it seizes. In the case when, due to inattention, the gap is too large, it must be filled with assembly foam, not giving a chance to the cold to penetrate into it. At the corners in the extreme plates, the teeth are cut, with which they are attached to each other. This provides the necessary stiffness of the corner joints and significantly increases the reliability of the design. Stud connection must be carefully glued.
At this, the insulation of the walls outside with foam polystyrene is not finished yet. The video of this process will tell you that after the glue has dried, the boards need to be fixed with special dowels. They have the appearance of hollow inside fungi with wide caps. In the slabs and the wall 4 cm is drilled a hole corresponding to the diameter of the dowel. A fungus is inserted into the hole, and a long nail is hammered into it, which bursts a plastic dowel inside the wall, ensuring a secure fit. At the same time, the cap presses the penoplex tightly against the wall. It will take from 6 to 8 per 1 m? such fasteners to ensure reliable fastening of plates to the surface. In areas where there are slopes and other elements, you need to increase this number. When calculating the need for materials this circumstance must be taken into account. Heads of fungi putty on top.
Wall insulation penopleks. The technology of external and internal plating. Preparatory stage of work, adhesive compositions, installation of plates on glue and nails, reinforcement of insulation.
When the plates are securely fixed, begin processing the corners. To do this, the corners of plastic or aluminum are glued to all corners, and fixed on top with a reinforcing mesh for reliability. It is also glued to glue.
Further steps depend on the material that will be used to finish the facade. If a ventilated facade system is created, guide profiles for it are fixed over the insulation and assemble siding or facade panels. If it is supposed to apply a layer of decorative plaster on the insulation, then several more steps should be taken:
- plates of polystyrene foam rubbed with sandpaper and coated with glue. Then on the entire surface paste the reinforcing mesh for plaster. For a good alignment of the surface of the grid and reliable adhesion to the plates, it must be periodically smoothed with a spatula, making movements “herringbone” from the central part to the edges. Excess glue should be stripped off without delay;
- when all this is dry, start applying putty. Its layer should be even and close the grid;
- then wait three days to completely dry the layer of putty. Upon their expiration, the entire surface is treated with sandpaper.
Helpful advice! For better adhesion with a finishing coating, a special primer is applied to the putty, which contains sand from quartz. This will create a matte rough surface that is suitable for applying any plaster decorative mixture.
In order to obtain significant savings, it is better to carry out repairs on the wall insulation from the outside with foam polystyrene with your own hands. The video and this step-by-step instruction will help to do it correctly, efficiently and save considerable finances. It is only necessary to comply with the proposed recommendations and procedures.