The main trend of the last decades in the finishing works – panels for walls for interior decoration have been used everywhere. The main common advantage of this type of finishing materials is that the panels are easy to install, cheap and have an attractive decorative appearance. A wide choice of wall panels allows you to choose the material for any interior design.
Wall panels for interior decoration: positive and negative points
Wall panels can be used in any type of room. However, in order to choose the most convenient material for you, you need to explore all their varieties. No matter what material the panels are made of, they all have positive and negative qualities, including:
- In general, the low price for typical finishing options, although, depending on the material, the price range can be very large.
- Simple installation, feasible for everyone who can work with hands.
- The possibility of simultaneous insulation of walls.
- The frame type of cladding allows you not to pay much attention to the quality of the base and makes it possible to hide all communications.
- A wide choice of sizes, design and material allows to satisfy any claims.
If we talk about the shortcomings inherent in all types of panels for walls for interior decoration, it only comes to mind that the frame finishing method takes a certain amount of useful space from the room.
Interior trim imitation timber. Photo ideas and interior options. Stages of work. Pros and cons of the material, its calculation. Installation of imitation timber, the correct lining of the walls and ceiling.
Finishing panels can be classified according to several parameters, including the form:
- typesetting slats. These should include all sorts of plastic and wood. This is the most common type, which the people call clapboard;
- tiled panels for cladding;
- sheet cladding panels that have a large surface area and are well suited for finishing a vast plane.
However, the classification of wall panels according to the material from which they are produced is more significant:
- from different types of wood;
- plastic panels;
- glass products;
- MDF panels;
- gypsum panels;
- soft panel types, such as leather or fabric.
You can still list a lot of options, but we will focus in detail only on some of the most common types.
Wooden panels for interior walls are used for decorating partitions, as well as built-in furniture. This finish has a very presentable appearance. The main component of such panels is one or another type of wood, processed in a certain way. It can be slats or tiles with a relief selected on special woodworking machines. Wood panels can be coated with stain, varnish or paint. Their cost depends on the amount in the composition of natural wood.
If we consider natural wood panels, they have the advantages that are inherent in the whole of this natural material:
- aesthetic beauty and attractiveness;
- absolute environmental safety;
- practicality and ease of care;
- ease of installation;
- low degree of thermal conductivity;
- excellent sound insulation;
- durability and quite good operational and consumer characteristics.
Wood panels can be used in almost any type of room, with the exception of too wet. As a drawback, the high cost of natural wood panels can be noted.
Helpful advice! To minimize waste when finishing it is worth considering that the length of wooden batten panels is 2 or 3 m, width is 80 or 88 mm. Tiled wood panels can be made to order in any size.
Today, PVC panels are particularly popular. There is a significant number of their types both in form and in design. I would especially like to mention the plastic panels under the brick for interior decoration. The fashion for this style is periodically returned, so they are almost always in demand. They often trim the walls in the hallway, in the kitchen, on the loggia or balcony. Due to the waterproof plastic, such panels can often be found in bathrooms and toilets. They completely cover the walls, but often only one wall or its section.
In general, plastic panels are very widespread. This is due to the qualities possessed by polyvinyl chloride:
- quite democratic cost;
- realistic picture. The brickwork looks like a real one;
- organic in combination with other facing materials;
- ease of installation and lack of waste and debris;
- very small weight does not overload walls;
- excellent maintainability. Replacing a damaged panel is not at all difficult.
As disadvantages of plastic panels, let’s call them poor environmental friendliness and fear of low temperatures.
The dimensions of the plastic sheet panels used in the main decoration are: length – 2.5 – 3 m, width – 1 – 1.5 m, thickness – 0.8 – 1 cm.
The size of the plastic rack panel, which has a hollow inside structure with stiffeners, can vary:
- panel width: 10, 25, 30 cm;
- length: 300, 450, 600 cm;
- thickness: 5, 6, 8, 10 mm.
Helpful advice! The most convenient way to decorate the walls in an ordinary apartment is to use a rack-type panel. They are mounted on the crate. You need to buy rails with a length of 3 m, a width of 25 cm, and a thickness of 8 cm.
In the modern construction industry, a cheap replacement for natural wood has been found, which is not much inferior to it in decorative qualities. This is a MDF stove. It is produced by high-temperature pressing waste woodworking production. Compound synthetic substance makes wood fibers very durable. Such plates are used in the manufacture of furniture. In addition, they produce MDF wall panels for interior decoration. Photos of the walls, decorated with this material, are no different from similar, covered with natural wood. However, the cost of this type of coverage is about 60% lower.
There are many types of MDF panels, but they are all endowed with common advantages:
- high reliability and durability, which allows these products to withstand severe loads;
- no fear of moisture, due to the presence of a waterproof coating;
- not afraid of pollution. They are not inclined to linger dust;
- installation is even for a beginner after studying simple instructions or watching a video;
- no need for constant complex care;
- low load on the walls due to low weight;
- production without chemistry allows us to ensure that this material can claim to be absolutely environmentally friendly;
The sizes of MDF panels are different. It depends on the manufacturer. Most often you can find products 260 cm in length, from 15 to 32 cm in width, and from 7 to 14 mm in thickness.
Panels made of gypsum can be attributed almost to artificial stone. After all, gypsum is a natural material. Hence, its positive properties:
- environmental friendliness – gypsum takes the first place in this plan. It is completely safe;
- fire safety – gypsum is not able to burn, melt or release harmful substances when heated;
- gypsum panels for interior decoration are excellent soundproof material. They also keep warm well;
- a variety of three-dimensional drawings, the possibility of selecting colors and individual coloring of such panels will enliven any interior.
The following qualities may be disadvantages:
- cannot be used in wet areas;
- fragility of the material.
Most often, gypsum panels are used to decorate living rooms decorated in a classic style, and are also used in modern types of design.
Helpful advice! If you have artistic talent, then it is better to purchase unpainted panels. In this case, you can realize any pattern in any color. In addition, you can purchase forms and cast gypsum panels yourself.
Whatever you choose panels for walls for interior decoration, it is necessary that their material and appearance are fully consistent with the design that you plan to apply in this room.