In a cold climate, warming the walls with foam plastic with their own hands becomes an urgent need with limited financial resources. In this case, savings are made, both through the use of relatively inexpensive foam, and due to the lack of payment for the work of the construction team.
Description of the material: its advantages and disadvantages
Polyfoam is a long-known insulation. Due to the fact that it is made of polystyrene foam, it contains billions of cells filled with air. They create an excellent heat-shielding effect due to the low thermal conductivity of the air mixture. This heater has long been used for insulation cabins and cabins, which are used as temporary housing in the northern regions. Sandwich panels build houses using Canadian technology. Foam, used as a heater in these structures, allows you to make the wall thickness not more than 15 – 20 cm, which does not at all reduce their ability to retain heat.
The use of polystyrene for covering ceiling ceilings, warming floors, as well as walls in various residential buildings has also increased. Especially popular is the insulation of the walls with foam plastic with their hands outside the building. This insulation fits well with any type of wall. It is quite cheap and convenient for installation, as it has the appearance of rectangular plates of various thickness from 5 to 15 cm. At the same time, it is possible to choose plates of different density.
Helpful advice! When choosing foam it is necessary to find a balance between density and thermal conductivity. The fact is that the denser the foam, the higher its thermal conductivity, and, therefore, to achieve a normal effect, it is necessary to thicken the foam layer.
The structure of this soft material is such that it allows you to cut the plates with a usual sharp knife. This is another plus of this heater. However, it is not without drawbacks. The cellular structure of the foam has a very weak connection, and therefore small particles are simply separated. For this simple reason, it crumbles easily when the walls are insulated with foam plastic with their own hands. Videos of this process are filled with moments when the plates break even with a slight pressure on them. Handle with foam should be carefully and very carefully.
The second disadvantage of this material is its poor sound insulation qualities. Therefore, if you decide to sheathe the walls to protect them from noisy neighbors, the effect will be minimal. It is better to choose another material. The third disadvantage is the fact that the foam like to gnaw mice and rats. They are able to destroy the slab in a matter of weeks or make moves in it. Therefore, if the situation with rodents in your area is far from safe, you need to use a heater that mice do not like.
The material is equally well suited for covering horizontal and vertical surfaces, both inside and outside the room. Recently, internal walls have been insulated with this material more and more rarely, since it has been replaced by penoplex, which is better suited for this. However, if you still decide to insulate the walls inside the apartment with foam plastic, it is necessary that the thickness of the sheets be 5–7 cm. This will significantly reduce the area of the rooms. It is much more correct to produce wall insulation foam with their own hands outside.
First you need to prepare the materials and tools necessary in the process of its implementation:
- foam plates of sufficient thickness. For medium latitudes, 10 cm is suitable. If the plates are thinner, then they should be 2 times larger, since they will have to be laid in two layers. In this case, you need to glue the second layer only when the glue dries completely after the first one. Requirements calculations are made on the area of the walls, from which the area of all openings is subtracted;
- mineral wool slabs, which are necessary for sheathing the perimeter of windows and doors. They are assumed to be the same thickness as the foam. This measure is necessary in order to comply with fire safety regulations. The density of mineral wool slabs should always be the highest. Calculation of needs is done depending on the number of windows and doors. Plates fill the surface of the walls around the openings of about 30 cm;
- for wall insulation foam with their own hands, you will need a mesh for reinforcement under the plaster;
- primer wall. Its quantity strongly depends on which walls will be processed with which structure. If it is smooth, then you can use the instructions on the bank to determine the need. For the porous structure it is necessary to add another 20 – 30%.
- special glue used for outdoor work. It has the appearance of a dry mixture, which must be prepared according to the instructions on the package;
- perforated galvanized steel corner. It is needed to install the bottom row of foam plates;
- perforator with a drill O10 mm, its length is equal to the thickness of the foam and another 8 cm;
- mixer for mixing glue; construction fluid level; sharp knife.
These are all the tools and materials that are needed for wall insulation foam with their own hands. Video finishing of mineral wool openings can be found on the network and see in detail.
The time spent on wall insulation with foam plastic should be calculated in such a way as to have time to close the foam sheets with plaster or other topcoat before it begins to turn yellow under the action of sunlight. This process is very harmful to the material, as it seriously damages its structure and reduces heat-shielding properties. Work begins with the preparation of the walls. They remove the old paint and plaster. Cracks putty, and the protrusions are cut. After that, the walls are well treated with a primer. If necessary, do it 2 – 3 times.
Helpful advice! To find out how well a primer layer is applied, you need to hold your hand over the dried wall. Nothing should appear on it, neither sand nor other inclusions.
Before the start of insulation, it is necessary to fix the starting bar on the base. It is set along the horizon by the building level. This rail has the form of a shelf and is fastened with screws or dowels. It is necessary so that the foam will be held and not slid down. In some cases, you can avoid using this element, but only when the height of the building does not exceed one floor, and the first layer of foam is glued and has already dried.
Further, wall insulation foam with their own hands begins at the bottom. The very first sheet is smeared with glue at several points and along the perimeter, after which they are laid with an edge on the starting bar and glued. The second and subsequent sheets are adjusted to the first, making sure that the distance between them does not exceed 2 – 3 mm.
Helpful advice! The gaps formed between the parts of the foam can be filled with a thin stream of foam. This can be done only after the final drying of the glue in order to avoid displacement of the sheets from the expansion of the foam.
We must not forget about the slabs of mineral wool, which are used in the insulation of the walls of the foam outside with their own hands. The video is an opportunity to see how to make fireproof trim around the openings correctly.