There are many ways to make the interior unique, because modern finishing materials provide ample opportunities for this. It can be bright stickers, unusual compositions, non-standard furniture layout. Also, often use stencils for decoration with their own hands: the templates and ideas presented in this article will help you choose materials for application, and will allow you to create an individual style in the design of the room.
DIY stencils for decoration: patterns and their use
Painted walls always make the room unique and unique. However, not everyone knows how to draw beautifully, and even the most skilled artist will not be able to repeat the same drawing equally. This situation can be corrected by stencils of drawings on the wall. Their use makes it possible to apply the required number of images, and at the same time they will be the same.
In addition, the use of stencils allows you to add surface volume, visually expand the space and smooth out any irregularities on the wall. Templates are a great way to change a room without significant financial investment. The owner can show their creative potential and give the room a special uniqueness.
The building stores offer ready-made stencils for walls. However, you can choose your picture. Then make a template on it simple and easy.
Templates and stencils are widely used in everyday life. In addition to the design of the walls, they are excellent for creating an interesting solution for doors, windows and cabinet doors. Great for creating greeting cards, posters, collage compositions. Quite often they are used in the design of paintings and photographs. In this case, the stencil is placed in the corners.
There are certain requirements that apply to the choice of stencils. They must be followed when going to buy templates:
- You should not give preference to a large number of items. As a result, the lines of the figure will merge, and it will lose its appeal. Laconic clear lines are the main requirement when drawing a picture;
- for one room only one type of ornament is used. It is undesirable to mix together color and geometric print;
- templates with very small and frequent elements should be avoided. Instead of an interesting solution, you can get one continuous blurred spot on the wall. Ornaments with a large number of large lines and jumpers look beautiful and interesting.
For drawing pictures on the wall there are several types of patterns. They allow you to create a flat or three-dimensional version. The following types are most commonly used:
- monophonic flat. This type serves to create an accent in the room. The drawing is applied to the wall in one color. The technique of its implementation is simple and easy;
- multicolor flat. To create a picture of this technique uses a large number of different shades and shapes. It is most often used in the design of children’s rooms, when the drawing should be bright and interesting;
- volume. To create this option is used putty. The thickness of the pattern obtained is 2-3.5 mm. It can be left white, and can be painted in different colors;
- anti-stencil This type is used when it is necessary to paint the surface around the stencil, and not inside it.
With a creative approach, perhaps a combination of bulk and flat options. The result will be admired by the guests.
Stencils for decoration can be single-layered and multi-layered. The first type is used to apply the pattern in one overlay paint. Layered most often found when creating images in the style of street art. They are great for combining large drawings and hide the possible flaws that have arisen during the application of paint.
Helpful advice! For independent production and application it is better to choose a single layer stencil. The image on it should be simple and uncomplicated. For example, you can easily make templates of butterfly stencils for decoration with your own hands.
Paper is most often used to create templates. This material is notable for its accessibility and easily attaches to any surface. From it, you can cut out any elements without much difficulty, it’s enough to have scissors on hand.
Cardboard is a more reliable material for the pattern, but it is difficult to cut out roundings from it. The advantage is that stencils from it can be used several times.
Self-adhesive film is great for making a template. It is easily mounted on the wall and removed after applying the picture. It can be washed and reused.
Durable stencils can be made of plastic, but special tools and considerable effort are needed to cut the pattern in this material.
The basis for creating a pattern are geometric patterns. This is due to the fact that they have clear boundaries. Such patterns are best suited for beginners in this business. After the final decision on decorating the surface, you need to buy a template in the store. The second option is to do it yourself.
The resulting pattern is fixed on the selected surface. For drawing drawing various paints – water emulsion, acrylic or enamel are used. It is best suited for this small roller or foam sponge, sometimes aerosols are used. It is better not to use a brush when working with stencils, this is due to the flow of paint over the edges of the template. As a result, the drawing is spoiled and fuzzy.
The model is removed only when the drawing is completely dry.
Helpful advice! For application should take a small amount of paint. This will prevent the formation of stains. If the area turned out to be poorly colored, it should be carefully tweaked with a brush. If the drawing implies the use of several colors, then the next tone is applied only after the previous one is completely dry.
When choosing a picture, they most often stop on flower compositions, which is connected with the universality of this image. The color ornament looks great in the home and office, and various colors are suitable for coloring. Color stencils on the wall can be easily done by hand. This ornament is best for testing the strength of beginners.
Flowers can be drawn in a classic version, and you can give them a look of surrealistic vision. In whatever style the room is made, branches and buds will look great in it. This type of ornament in a colorful and one-color design is perfect for all rooms in the apartment – the hall, bedroom, nursery, kitchen, corridor and bathroom.
Another popular ornament for decorating rooms are butterflies. They will be well littered on the wall in the bedroom, and multicolored butterflies will delight the child. To add a highlight in the design of the kitchen – place the image of a winged woman there. Making a butterfly stencils on the wall is very simple.
Interesting compositions are obtained with a combination of color ornament with butterflies. In this case, it is better and more appropriate to use a combination of several colors. When choosing stencils of butterflies for decoration, it is better to focus on simple shapes with a minimum number of lines.
The image of the cat on the wall can set the tone for the whole room. It doesn’t matter where this fluffy animal is painted: on a wall, shelf or door.
Cats stencils for decorating do-it-yourself make pretty easy. The image of this animal can decorate the children’s room. Quite often, the cat is painted in a secluded corner, creating the effect of surprise. This decor does not set the tone for the entire room, but gives it an unusual highlight. The whole animal is not always painted; quite often only a silhouette or its funny face is applied to the surface.
Helpful advice! The image of a cat requires appropriate design of the room. It is best to use it in the nursery or bedroom.
Stencils for walls with geometric patterns allow you to create an unusual design of the room. They are great for both the apartment and the office. Interlacing simple lines will hide the imperfections of the walls, visually expand or narrow the space. Greek and Byzantine motifs are very popular. They can cover the entire surface of the walls, replacing the wallpaper.
The interlacing of simple lines creates complex patterns, and the resulting effect is striking in its severity and at the same time intricacy. Geometric stencils for cutting paper are best suited for beginners in the decoration business.
- the surface on which the drawing will be applied must be cleaned from dirt and degreased;
- the location of the picture should be noted. To do this, use the usual level of construction and a pencil;
- before applying the image on the chosen place it is recommended to practice on whatman paper. This will allow to understand the principle of applying paint;
- To keep the stencil well, experts recommend using stencil glue. Among its advantages, the following should be highlighted: the absence of traces on the surface and excellent adhesion. The latter excludes the possibility of a stencil moving down;
- if you decide to apply a large-size pattern, then you need to find a place where you can make such a layout. Many companies offer to print free large stencils for walls, however, subject to further cooperation with it. In this case, it is better to break the picture into small fragments and make several templates for them;
- for drawing drawing it is necessary to give preference to acrylic paints. They are great for all types of surfaces and dry quickly;
- The use of a sponge for applying paint has one small moment. The surplus on it must be soaked on a sheet of paper. Only after that start drawing;
- If the drawing should have a volume, you need to use acrylic putty. Using a spatula, it is evenly applied in the right places;
- special attention should be paid to the smooth flow of paint along the edges. If excess is formed, they should be removed with a sponge;
- carefully fastening the sample will provide a clear beautiful picture.
Observance of these simple rules will allow you to avoid mistakes when applying a decor and will save time on correcting the flaws obtained. Large selection of stencils and templates will allow you to choose the best option for any room and give the room a unique highlight and charm.