Nowadays, along with alternative energy sources, such types of fuel as coal, oil or firewood are used. Many heating appliances for private houses – fireplaces, stoves, boilers, etc. – work on wood. Until the mid-19th century, firewood was prickled by hand, which required a lot of time and energy. Mechanical log splitters greatly facilitated human labor. The first models worked for a couple, were very cumbersome, and it was difficult to make them at home. Today, if you need to make a wood splitter with your own hands: drawings, photos, instructions can be easily found on the Internet.
Features of the choice of wood splitter
If you need a wood splitter for household needs, then always the first question is whether to buy a unit or assemble it yourself. The first option will be much more expensive, but for the implementation of the second you will need a certain skill and tools. On the other hand, for self-production of a splitter, video from the network and the materials at hand is quite enough.
To make the drawings, photos, instructions of the wood splitter with your own hands more understandable, you should know what types of wood splitters exist at all. There are a large number of classifications.
One of the main parameters of a wood splitter is the location of the logs. It may be:
- horizontal – logs are stacked on a special bed and either move towards the cutting part, or the knife moves to the log;
- vertical – the knife splits the workpiece from above. In this case, the log needs fixation. It can be part of the design, or the log simply sticks by hand.
If you watch videos of self-made rack wood splitters, which are horizontal, it becomes clear that their effectiveness is less than vertical, but the latter also have their own nuances of work.
The second important point on which it is possible to classify wood splitters is the type of drive:
- On diesel or gasoline fuel – the most common type of drive for autonomous wood splitters. Provides high performance, as well as fully autonomous.
- Mechanical log splitters are very reliable, well suited for small amounts of work. Drawings, photos, instructions of a mechanical wood splitter with your own hands can be easily found on the Internet in large quantities.
- On the electric motor – stationary wood splitters, reliable, but not too productive.
Helpful advice! Quite often you can find homemade log splitters mounted on the basis of tractor and other equipment. The unit, which operates from a tractor drive from a power take-off shaft, easily splits large-diameter firewood. Another interesting modification is wood splitters with an engine from a washing machine or based on a car wheel.
And the last parameter by which absolutely all wood splitters can be classified is the form of a cleaver. There are two options: cruciform or conical. A cross-shaped cleaver splits firewood into four parts at once, which can be very convenient, but this requires great effort. Cross-shaped jibs can be found mainly in hydraulic log splitters. Videos of self-made wood splitters with a cone-shaped cleaver are very often found on the network, since these models are the most popular.
Cone-shaped cleaver, threaded or non-threaded, is often used in diesel or electric models. Its plus is that the trunk is broken not only due to mechanical pressure, but also due to the rotation of the tip of the cleaver. It is screwed into the log, so too much effort is not needed to split the workpiece. So you save on fuel for the unit. It is very simple to find drawings of a screw wood splitter with your own hands on the net, its components are not expensive, and the assembly will not take you much time.
If you want to assemble a screw wood splitter with your own hands – drawings, photos, instructions will be extremely simple. The main thing is to understand what main parts such an aggregate consists of:
- The engine is an electric motor or an internal combustion engine. For efficient operation of the wood splitter, the power should be below 1.5 kW and the voltage should be from 380 V. It is also important to take into account the number of revolutions per minute, it should be at least 400.
- Bed – table with legs, on which are placed firewood. It is made of sheet iron, the design provides for mounting for the gearbox. Under the frame, to give it greater stability, the engine is mounted.
- Gearbox – used to regulate the number of revolutions of the engine.
Collecting a wood splitter with your own hands drawings, photos, instructions to watch it is worth considering what kind of design you need. The advantage of a wood splitter with a cone-shaped ax is that its individual components can be bought for relatively little money if you need to assemble a homemade wood splitter through a gearbox – video from the Internet will help you with this. Such units are most often used to provide firewood for private houses, baths and a small boiler room. The disadvantage of this design is the need to feed the wood manually, as a result of which the productive work is not very high.
Helpful advice! If you do not need to chop firewood on an industrial scale, it is better to stop at the variant of a wood splitter with a cone-shaped ax, assembled from scrap parts. Otherwise – collect hydraulic model.
Hydraulic models of wood splitters are good because they allow processing a large amount of firewood in a small amount of time. As the name implies, such a unit works at the expense of a hydraulic pump and an engine. A cleaver in a hydraulic model can be located in the design of the stop or on the rod. The first option is more reliable, and the second is more powerful.
When assembling a hydraulic log splitter with your own hands, it is necessary to take into account a number of important parameters:
- the location of the log – can be vertical or horizontal;
- the maximum log size that the unit can handle;
- log splitting force – directly depends on the size of the cylinder and engine power;
- engine power – depends on how much energy the engine operates.
If you watch the video of a hydraulic splitter with your own hands, it becomes clear that it is more difficult to assemble it than a screw one. But the performance of this option will be several times more. It can be used not only for household but also for commercial purposes, for example, for chopping firewood for sale.
Drawings, photos, instructions of a hydraulic splitter with their own hands clearly show that, by the principle of operation, it is very similar to just a jack. This means that it is not particularly difficult to assemble it at home. The main thing with this is to correctly calculate the size of the installation on the basis of what log of what size you are going to prick.
Another variant of the mechanism for chopping firewood is rack. It received its name from the fact that the cleaver in such a mechanism is attached to the rail, which moves due to gear. The log is fastened here between the ax and the protective stop located on the gearbox housing.