One of the varieties of suspended ceiling structures are fabric stretch ceilings. Pros and cons, photo installation instructions for such materials and a selection of finished projects will help determine the choice and purchase a really high-quality product. With the help of a modern fabric covering, it is possible not only to decorate the interior in an original way, but also to hide the shortcomings of the draft ceiling.
Stretch fabric ceilings. Pros and cons, photo
The modern construction market represents a large number of fabric structures differing in their manufacturer and operational properties. Such tensioning systems have gained popularity due to the environmental friendliness of the material, long service life and ease of installation. As a result of their installation, a smooth, smooth surface is obtained, which perfectly hides existing irregularities and complements the existing interior.
Knowledge of all the advantages and disadvantages of fabric stretch ceilings will help make the choice. Photos of finished designs made of fabric, reflect the beauty and originality of such systems. Fabric ceilings are divided into several types according to the type of fabric.
- Textured fabric. This material has a secret stamping. This is achieved by the presence of two layers: a special mesh base and the fabric itself with an embossed image.
- Satin fabric. Such a canvas is made on a polymer base, slightly resembling the well-known satin. Due to the existing fine-grained surface such ceilings have pearlescent effect. Under the influence of artificial light, the fabric literally sparkles, which gives some mysteriousness to any room.
- Suede fabric. This is one of the existing varieties of PVC canvas, in its texture very closely resembling a real suede. The upper layer slightly mutes the artificial light, distributing it throughout the room.
Helpful advice! It is possible to wash fabric ceilings using only soft detergents without abrasive components.
- High physical strength. The fabric covering is much stronger than a cloth from PVC. Various indicators of strength due to the characteristics of the structure of materials.
- Air permeability. The fabric covering can be called breathing, since it freely lets air through and does not disturb the air exchange between the main ceiling and the room.
- Environmental friendliness. In the manufacture of fabric tension structures used rather complex technology. The threads used for the production of such fabrics, exclusively natural. Of them weave a grid, which is further processed with a solution that imparts flame-retardant properties to the finished fabric.
Helpful advice! In the composition of the fabric there are no such harmful substances as cadmium, phenol and others. Therefore, the material can not have a detrimental effect on health.
- Fire resistance This high-quality material cannot be ignited due to the above composition when exposed to high temperatures. If the manufacturer does not save on additional components, the fabric will have high performance characteristics.
- Resistance to negative temperatures. All properties of the specified material are maintained even at temperatures below -40 degrees. This allows you to maximize the scope of fabric ceilings.
- No deformation. If you compare a fabric coating with a PVC film, it can withstand stronger physical damage. The fabric over time does not crack and does not sag.
- The possibility of painting. For these purposes, using specialized paints of acrylic. Fabric ceilings are decorated with any patterns, which makes it possible to realize interesting fantasies. It is possible to repaint similar products up to 4-5 times. With the help of modern technology, whole pictures or even photos can be transferred to a fabric canvas.
- Durability. This indicator depends on the quality of installation tension structure. Assembled according to all the rules, observing some subtleties, the ceiling system will last more than 10 years.
- Simplicity and ease of installation. In contrast to the tension of the polyvinyl chloride film, it is possible to install the fabric construction alone, without the help of outsiders.
One of the main drawbacks of fabric ceilings can be considered a poor color palette. It is very difficult to find fabrics of the original color, but you can create it yourself. The disadvantages can also be attributed to the complexity of this stage of work, since the fabric is dyed only after it has been completely installed. For painting the ceiling will have to call experienced craftsmen specializing in such activities.
Unlike PVC cloth, fabric cover is not able to retain water. If the neighbors accidentally arranged a flood, the ceiling of the fabric will not save repairs. However, modern manufacturers began to offer ceiling material with moisture-resistant properties. The disadvantages of fabric products can add complex maintenance. Any fabric has the ability to absorb odors, so you should not experiment with such structures in the kitchen or in other rooms, where there are any smelling substances.
Do not use fabric in dusty rooms due to the lack of antistatic effect. Experts recommend cleaning the fabric ceiling with a vacuum cleaner. This should be done regularly. It may be necessary to purchase an additional device for this purpose.
Fabric ceilings can not be installed a second time. If you had to dismantle an already installed ceiling, the only right decision would be to buy a new fabric. Another drawback is the inelasticity of the fabric, so it can not be used in complex ceiling structures. It is impossible to install a fabric cloth in rooms wider than 5 meters, since such installation will require the creation of an additional seam, which is very conspicuous.
It is quite easy to choose a suitable option, knowing all the pros and cons of fabric stretch ceilings. Photo mounting instructions will help to understand the features of the installation. Just as with the installation of any tension coatings, the existing fabric is very tightly tensioned onto a previously prepared frame around the perimeter of the room. The profile used for these purposes is of two types: aluminum U-shaped and the so-called clothespin.
In the first embodiment, the fabric is practically not stretched, its stretched state is due only to the force of the profile. When making the installation, it is necessary to check the fastening strength of each element, since they will have a rather high pressure. Special hardware and struts can also be used, but this depends on the initial quality of the walls.
Attachment mount – a cheaper option that does not require the call of professionals. It is because of the simplicity and ease of installation, this method has become widespread. Installation is carried out without a ceiling plinth using a special spatula. Recently, a new technology has been patented in Germany for fastening a fabric ceiling with clips. In this case, the work is done fairly quickly, the minimum distance between the draft ceiling fabric can be only 2 cm.
Proceed to the installation of a hinged system, you can understand all the pros and cons of fabric stretch ceilings. Photo mounting instructions include several steps:
- Using a laser level, determine the height of the future structure.
- Along the perimeter set profile.
- Secure the canvas in the base baguette.
- Tensioning the cloth, leaving a small overlap of 5-8 cm.
- Fix the remaining side.
- Cut the excess fabric.
Helpful advice! Before installing the tensioning structure, you must decide what type of lighting you plan to use. It is necessary to prepare in advance places for installation of electrical appliances.