Repair in the kitchen is an important stage in the life of every inhabitant of the house, because in this room the family spends a significant part of their time. That is why it is so important that the interior of the kitchen matches your preferences. A modern solution for creating a design – glass aprons for the kitchen, skinali: you can see the photo in this article. What is guided when choosing this functional and at the same time decorative element – consider below.
What is skinali
For a start, let’s see what was skipped and what are they for in the kitchen? It is accepted to call skinalami glass panels with the drawing applied on them or just monophonic. They are made to order, and therefore can be made in any size and color scheme.
The main purpose of skinali is to protect the surface of the wall above the table top and the gas stove from splashing of grease and water. Therefore, the main requirement for such a product is the ease of cleaning and washing. But in addition to the functional purpose, the kitchen apron is also used as a decoration. You can easily add some bright colors to your interior thanks to modern technology. Today there is an opportunity to realize any bold idea, making an apron with a unique design, and making your kitchen brighter and more attractive.
The advantages of using a glass apron in the kitchen are obvious:
- glass panel looks organic in any interior. It is perfectly combined with any matte and glossy surfaces, especially since you can independently choose skinalis for the kitchen in the photo catalog of images;
- installation of any kind of glass takes very little time, and it is almost always no more than 2 hours;
- glass aprons are more hygienic compared to, for example, tiles, so they do not have seams in which dirt could accumulate;
- a solid glass surface in the kitchen visually enlarges the space, making the room more spacious and fresh;
- Glass kitchen apron – a huge field for your imagination. Thanks to modern technologies, you can decorate it with photo and stereo printing, order a special substrate (both plain and with print) or make a sandblast pattern on the surface. Photos of kitchen aprons made of glass perfectly demonstrate this;
- You can choose any surface of the apron at will: matte, glossy or textured (the photo of skinalis clearly shows this);
- glass allows you to implement your own ideas in the design of the kitchen, for example, you can insert a collage of your family photos or beautifully printed recipes under the glass;
- Clear glass can be placed on top of an existing finish, such as stone or wood, protecting them from dirt and damage, but without hiding their beauty. The same principle can be used to protect wallpaper or paint on walls;
- Apron made of glass goes well with any kind of lighting. You can see this in the catalog of skinnals for the kitchen on manufacturers’ websites.
The glass apron has some drawbacks as well:
- This type of kitchen aprons can not be called budget, except perhaps plexiglass. The average cost of such beauty starts from 4700 rubles per 1 m? (taking into account the cost of installation);
- production and installation of an apron – a rather complicated matter, which does not tolerate modifications and alterations. Therefore, in most cases, the installation panel is made only after the final assembly of the entire headset. Sockets, switches and all kinds of communications should also be fully installed by this point;
- The process of manufacturing and processing skinal takes a certain amount of time, on average, from 7 to 14 days, depending on the manufacturer;
- the choice of kitchen apron design will require from you a good taste and sense of proportion. Otherwise, you can ruin the whole interior with an unsuccessful color solution or excessive brightness and variegated surface.
There are several ways to decorate tempered glass:
- stimalit, or as it is also called – back colored glass. The production process in this case is quite simple: the surface is painted with colored enamel, and then hardened. As a result, paint and glass become inseparable from each other;
- satinate is frosted glass. Without going into the process of its production, we can say that the result looks very beautiful, but at the same time it is more demanding to care than the usual transparent, unbleached red-hot glass. And the cost is a little higher;
- Skinali are the same glass panels that use a special substrate with some kind of image. For this, both photo printing and stereo printing are suitable. True, in the first case, the cost will increase by 30-50%, and in the second – twice;
- optite – glass obtained as a result of the bleaching process. It does not have a characteristic bluish or greenish hue and is therefore great for creating aprons with a light and detailed pattern. The purity of the glass allows to convey in detail even the smallest elements of the substrate. But it is important to understand that you will have to pay for such characteristics, and the glass will cost 1.5-2 times the usual cost. A photo of a kitchen with a glass cherry apron perfectly illustrates how bright and clear a drawing can be.
Helpful advice! Modern technologies offer to use a kitchen apron as a lamp. This is possible thanks to the built-in LED backlighting, gluing the LED strip or installing spots under the cabinets.
Choosing a panel of tempered glass you need to take into account many factors. Here are some tips that will help you not to confuse in a huge number of proposals:
- The best glass thickness for the kitchen is 6 mm. It is strong enough to withstand serious blows. It is acceptable to use 4 mm of stalinite, but it should be borne in mind that its strength is much less.
- The cost of an apron of tempered glass includes all processes, ranging from measurements to installation. At its price also affects the required number of slots and method of attachment.
- Image for skinali you can choose absolutely any. Examples and photos of glass aprons, photo printing for the kitchen you can look at specialized sites.
When choosing a drawing for an apron, it is important to proceed not only from the figure of beauty of the picture, but also from its relevance in the general interior of the kitchen. Having looked through the catalog of images of kitchen aprons from glass, you can get a complete picture of all possible design options.
Helpful advice! Interior designers recommend not using images with more than three colors – this creates a feeling of confusion in the kitchen.
There are three ways of mounting a kitchen apron and before you order its production, you need to decide which one you will use:
Method 1. Fastening with screws. This is the easiest and most convenient way to install an apron that can be used on absolutely any surface, even the most uneven. Moreover, the panel can be removed and fixed more than once. At the same time, there is a gap of about 4 mm between the surface of the wall and the apron. To create a more aesthetic look, special plugs are put on the screws.
Method 2. Fastening with hinged fasteners. To do this, use metal plate-clips, which is inserted into the panel. This option is more often used to install non-solid aprons, as this allows you to evenly join parts.
Method 3. Fastening with liquid nails or glue. This method allows you to fasten the panel without the use of visible fixings, and accordingly, without violating its integrity. That’s just put the apron on the glue can only be perfectly flat and prepared for this wall.
Helpful advice! The gap between the glass apron and the surface of the table must be closed corner. In the presence of seams, it is necessary to process them with special sealant.
When choosing a glass apron for the kitchen, an important role is played by the technical characteristics of the product, such as resistance to shock, temperature drops and high humidity. Consider each type of glass separately, as well as photo catalogs of images of glass aprons for the kitchen, highlighting its inherent pros and cons.
Stalinite (tempered glass) is obtained as a result of high-temperature heat treatment. Ordinary silicate glass becomes extremely hot at first, and then rapidly cooled.
The clear advantage of stalinite over any other type of glass is strength. Its resistance to impact is 5-10 times higher than usual. Moreover, if you still break such an apron, its fragments are small pieces, which can not be cut, as their faces are dull.
Another plus of tempered glass is its insensitivity to temperature extremes and overheating. Installing a panel of this material above the gas stove, you can not worry about its safety. Also the glass treated in this way is absolutely resistant to the influence of any external factors. It can be washed with a tough brush and abrasive detergents. It does not scratch, does not tarnish and is not afraid of water. The service life of stalinite is about 10 years.
Photo glass aprons for the kitchen will help you get an idea of the external attractiveness of such a choice.
One of the disadvantages of using red-hot glass in the kitchen is its price. The cost of stalinite is higher than that of ordinary glass. There is no possibility to change the size or make any additions (for example, holes). All necessary operations with glass can be performed only by the manufacturer before the start of the process of tempering the glass. Therefore, errors and miscalculations in this case are unacceptable. The time of manufacture of such a panel is about 1 week.
Triplex is a glass consisting of several glued together with a polymer film, layers. In this case, the panel can consist of both organic and silicate or hardened sheets. Standard thickness of triplex – 8 mm. Photos of the kitchen with a glass apron, you can easily find on the Internet.
The main advantage of using this type of glass is absolute safety. Due to the polymer film, even in the event of damage, the fragments are not able to crumble and injure a person. In addition, this type of panel is very durable and resistant to temperature changes, and it is very easy to care for it.
Of the disadvantages, perhaps, we can distinguish a very high cost and long production time. The price of triplex is several times higher than other types of glass. The average time required for the manufacture of such an apron, 14-30 days.
Variants of the design of the kitchen apron from triplex:
- photo printing;
- decorating one of the layers of glass;
- use of a mirror or foil;
- imitation of fabric or skin.
Plexiglas is a separate type of material widely used in construction and decoration. Often it can be found under such names: glass made of acrylic, plexiglass, acrilite, limacril and many others.
The properties of plexiglass, which made it so popular, are obvious. It is very light and flexible. It is cheap and absolutely not demanding on the quality of the surface on which it will be placed. You can easily work with it yourself, resizing and cutting additional holes for outlets. This material is fully environmentally friendly and moisture resistant. However, its impact resistance is very high. When burning Plexiglas does not emit toxic substances. Plexiglas can be transparent, painted or with photo printing.
The disadvantages of this material include its ability to quickly wear out, dim and scratch. Caring for Plexiglas does not include the use of hard brushes, abrasives and products containing alcohol and acetone. Another serious drawback is the low temperature barrier. When heated above 80 ° C, the glass may deform. This fact excludes the possibility of its placement above the gas stove.
Polycarbonate is a material that has common features with Plexiglas, but at the same time surpasses it in quality characteristics.
This material is the best budget option for creating a beautiful kitchen apron. The cost of such a product will be significantly lower than the panels of stalinite or triplex, and the quality is much higher than that of Plexiglas. Polycarbonate is durable, resistant to high temperatures and lightweight material.
Its only drawback is the ability to quickly scratch in case of careless handling. As a result, it looks worse with time than ordinary glass.
Another material that is great for making kitchen aprons is plastic. The aesthetic appearance of such products allows you to apply them in any interiors. And while the beauty they are not inferior to any glass or ceramic tile. Hardness, strength and resistance to external influences make plastic a worthy competitor to many materials.
A lot of various photos of aprons in the kitchen of plastic, you can look at specialized portals.
Installing a plastic apron is a relatively simple process. After the material is purchased, you can begin to trim and adjust to the desired size. To do this, you can use a hacksaw with small teeth. Of course, to save time, you can use the electric jigsaw, but in this case it will be more difficult to get smooth edges.
Then you can begin the process of fastening. To create crates, use wooden slats with a thickness of 0.5 cm and a length of 2.5 cm. With the help of dowels, one bar should be attached to the wall under the cupboard, and the second above the table top. Then, using a construction stapler or liquid nails, a plastic panel is attached on top.
To give the apron a neat, finished look, a special plinth can be glued between the bottom of the sheet and the table top, and a plastic bead at the top. Prices, photos of plastic kitchen aprons can be viewed in advance on the manufacturers’ websites.
Opponents of plastic panels for the kitchen argue their opinions by the fact that over time micro-scratches appear on the apron, especially if you use a hard sponge and chemically active substances for cleaning. In addition, low-quality plastic reacts poorly to exposure to high temperatures and can be deformed. Another modest drawback of such aprons – stains that remain on the surface as a result of water ingress.
However, the advantages of plastic aprons are more than cover all the disadvantages of this material. Therefore, be sure to check out the catalog of kitchen apron made of plastic with photo printing.
The advantages of plastic aprons for the kitchen:
- To clean the apron from plastic, you can use absolutely any detergent;
- resistant to moisture and high temperatures;
- one piece of plastic is easy to cut to the desired size;
- plastic from which kitchen aprons are made is completely eco-friendly and safe for health.
MDF is a medium strength fiberboard. It consists of fine, pressed under the influence of high pressure and temperature, chips. Lignin is used as a binding material, which, unlike the usual formaldehyde, is environmentally friendly and safe for health. Pay your attention to the photo of kitchen apron from MDF with photo printing, and you will see that they are not inferior to anything even glass.
The main advantages of a kitchen apron from MDF:
- low cost – domestic products are quite inexpensive;
- availability of purchase – you can order such an apron in almost any company producing furniture;
- a wide choice of colors – the MDF panel does not absorb paint, and at the same time it gets an excellent appearance when painted. In addition, you can order the production of a kitchen apron made of MDF with photo printing;
- environmental friendliness and safety of the material;
- Great for curly milling.
The disadvantages include the following characteristics of MDF aprons:
- flexibility – over time, the apron can deform, bend and move away from the wall. To avoid this, it is necessary to pay special attention to its installation;
- negative reaction to some reagents. Use in this case nitrokrasok, acetone or aggressive alkaline compounds is unacceptable;
- MDF plates ignite very easily and emit harmful asphyxiating impurities during combustion.
Helpful advice! If you decide to independently calculate the required size and cut the apron, be very careful – if you make a mistake in a smaller direction, you will not be able to correct the situation.
As in the case of all other materials, there are three main types of attachment of the apron to the wall. However, since in the case of MDF, one often encounters attempts at self-assembly, let us pay special attention to this. So, three main ways:
- liquid Nails;
- self-tapping screws;
- special clears.
The most common mistake when choosing a method of mounting screws – creating an excessive number of attachment points. Some craftsmen manage not only to enclose the entire perimeter of the slab with screws, but also to screw in a few pieces in the middle.