Special attention has always been paid to the decoration of the walls in the kitchen, since the surfaces are subject to harsh operating conditions and are constantly in contact with moisture. This is especially noticeable above the work surface. Therefore, to protect the walls using aprons, which, if desired, the owners can also become a decoration of the kitchen. Consider this option as an apron for the kitchen of glass: advantages, disadvantages, as well as options for its design.
Kitchen Apron: General characteristics
Many people believe that a glass apron in the kitchen is the perfect solution, because it is possible to protect the wall from splashes of water and fat. At the same time, the glass is easy to clean and can last for a long time. So, among the basic requirements that this material fully complies with is worth noting:
- resistance to high temperatures;
- easy care and hygiene;
- does not lose appearance and form under the influence of any external factors;
- possibility of high-quality sealing of a seam between a table-top and an apron.
Helpful advice! Silicone is an excellent sealant. But to give the place of the junction an attractive appearance can be, putting on top of a special plinth that will mask all the imperfections of the connection.
In addition to excellent technical characteristics, glass aprons can boast an unprecedented variety of colors and patterns. Thus, changing only one panel, you can at any time refresh the interior.
For the manufacture of kitchen aprons used a variety of different materials, for example, tile, metal, chipboard, MDF, plastic, natural or artificial stone. Each of them has its own advantages: one of the options may differ in a beautiful appearance and functionality, and at some affordable price.
If we talk about the glass on the kitchen apron, then this solution combines all the best opportunities. A variety of design of such panels is unlimited. The glass surface can be smooth or textured, and the glass itself is glossy or matte, depending on the preferences of the owners.
Helpful advice! Almost any material can be placed under glass, including paper, fabric or photographs, thus giving the apron an original appearance.
If you compare the glass with plastic, then, despite the higher cost, the glass apron wins in many ways. For example, its service life is much longer, and resistance to external factors, including high temperature, which is inevitable due to the proximity of the plate, is higher. In addition, the glass is much easier to care for.
Of course, a stone apron will look very monumental, however, it is worth understanding that the cost of such decoration will be high and not everybody can afford. As for the metal, it does not show itself very well when in contact with water and is often corrosive.
Perhaps, only tile can make a worthy competition to glass, which is also easy to maintain and at the same time provides a fairly large variety of colors and textures. But if we talk about installation technology, then it will be much more difficult to lay a tile in a high-quality and beautiful manner than just fixing one glass panel. And the possibilities for decorating the tile provided much less, because as demonstrated by the photo, the ideas of the apron for the kitchen made of glass are much more.
Despite the fact that the apron is called “glass”, it is obvious that ordinary glass cannot be used for its manufacture. For this purpose, use several options for the material. Briefly consider the advantages, disadvantages and features of each of them:
- tempered glass – the material is excellent for use in the kitchen, since it is characterized by increased strength, does not scratch, does not deteriorate as a result of exposure to chemically active substances, and is excellent in resisting shocks without pecking. All this is achieved through a special procedure – hardening glass;
- Plexiglas – the material is produced synthetically and is a light panel of hardened acrylic mass. Usually a dye is added to the composition to give the glass a color or tint. The advantages of this option include the fact that it does not crack or break. But the disadvantages – the appearance of scratches on the surface. In addition, over time, plexiglass turns yellow, more precisely, its natural yellowness increases.
Another important point is that plexiglass is not resistant to high temperatures, so that it cannot be placed in the immediate vicinity of the plate, since it will simply melt;
- Triplex is a combination material, which consists of two sheets of tempered glass and a layer of polymers with a printed pattern between them. This option is characterized by all the advantages of tempered glass, moreover, due to the presence of a special protective film, such an apron is not broken;
- optivayt – special glass, which can be called a perfect product for the design of kitchen aprons. In the production process, it is made perfectly transparent, eliminating the shades that are characteristic of any glass. This has a positive effect on the color reproduction and clarity of the picture.
In the catalog of aprons in the kitchen of glass offered a huge number of a variety of options for the panels. You can use traditional ideas for the kitchen apron, or you can show your imagination by ordering an original surface design. So with a certain amount of funds, without problems, you can get a high-quality and beautiful glass apron that will satisfy all wishes.