The bathroom is the place where high-quality ventilation is essential. Exhaust in the bathroom is designed to ensure effective removal of air from this room. Its main task is to eliminate excess moisture, prevent the formation of condensate and the occurrence of fungus. And if the bathroom is combined with a toilet in one bathroom, then the hood also removes unpleasant odors, preventing them from spreading throughout the house. Learn how to install the hood in the bathroom with your own hands and what you need.
Types and functions of ventilation for bathrooms
Before making a choice in favor of one or another air exchange system, it is necessary to become familiar with the types and principles of operation of such systems. Extractor bathroom can be organized by a natural and compulsory method.
Natural hood. This hood works due to the action of natural factors, such as the difference in pressure and air temperature in the room and outside. The exhaust air is removed through the ventilation duct, which passes through the wall of the house. For the implementation of air exchange is enough open window or door, through which the incoming air enters.
Very often, especially in apartment buildings of old buildings, the ventilation channels are clogged or clogged due to the destruction of the ventilation caps on the roof of buildings. In this case, the natural extractor in the bathrooms does not work.
Mechanical hood. The system of such exhaust functions due to the operation of the fans, forcibly removing the polluted air flow into the exhaust ducts. Installation of such ventilation can be done at any time, while natural ventilation channels are laid during the construction phase.
Forced hoods in the bathroom and toilet are installed in the following cases:
- the absence or weak functioning of the natural air exchange;
- redevelopment of the bathroom or combining it with a toilet, when part of the ventilation duct is removed;
- installation of electrical equipment that contributes to an increase in the formation of steam, the volume of which is not completely removed by natural exhaust;
- The bathroom is small in size – the hood in the bathroom does not have time to drain the amount of steam generated during bathing or showering.
To install the hood in the bathroom, which will fully cope with its functions, you should be familiar with the parameters and features of the equipment:
- equipment and devices for exhaust in the bathroom must comply with the standards of safe operation and have the appropriate certificates and warranty sheets;
- the electrical draw in the bathroom, working from the network, should be placed in a protective casing, in order to avoid water droplets or wet steam getting into the device;
- the power (capacity) of the exhaust unit should allow the complete removal of polluted air. In the case when one hood passes through the bathroom from the toilet, its capacity should be enough to serve two rooms;
Helpful advice! When purchasing a middle-class hood for a bathroom, keep in mind that the optimum performance of the device should not be lower than 100 m? Hour.
- equipping the hood with additional devices – humidity sensors, a timer, a “smart fan” system, a fan with a check valve;
- overall dimensions and design of the hood;
- quality of equipment – choose reliable devices from reputable manufacturers;
- noise level is an important parameter. It is necessary to choose instruments with a noise limit not exceeding 25 dB
- price-quality ratio”. You can choose an affordable and high-quality model.
Before you buy and install the hood in the bathroom with your own hands, you should decide on the type of ventilation, the model of the fan and its power.
As for the type of ventilation in the bathroom, it can be exhaust, intake and combination. The most relevant and effective way – to make the hood in the bathroom supply and exhaust type. Whether the system will be channel or non-channel depends on the availability of ventilation ducts. Channel systems are usually used in rooms where ventilating channels are equipped.
Hood in the bathroom in a private house can be channelless. In private homes, usually one of the walls of the toilet or bathroom is external. Therefore, the owners of private houses can pierce a through hole that leads directly to the street, and install a hood in it.
If you use the channel type of ventilation in a private house, you can do it yourself with a hand-vent in the bathroom from the sewer pipes.
To calculate the power of the fan for the bathroom in a private house or apartment, you can use the formula:
M = V x (5 … 10), Where
M – required performance;
V is the volume of the bathroom;
numbers indicate the frequency of use of the bathroom.
The performance of devices for ventilation of bathrooms and toilets depends on their size. Fans in the bathroom are selected on the basis of the volume of rooms served.
For example, it is necessary to make a calculation of the power of the hood for the bathroom of a private house, the dimensions of which are 4x3x2.5 m (volume 30 m?). Considering that the use of the bathroom will be carried out by one person twice a day, we take the minimum coefficient equal to 5. Then the required power of the exhaust unit is 150 units.
Before you draw the hood into the bathroom, make sure that there is a gap between the door and the floor for air flow. If not, you can make a hole at the bottom of the door leaf and insert a ventilation grill into it.
Choosing fans, pay attention to their noise level that accompanies their work. Ball bearing models are acceptable fans – they are noiseless and durable. Power is selected depending on the volume of the bathroom and taking into account whether it is combined with the toilet.
Pipes for ventilation: their basic properties and parameters of choice. Corrugated air ducts. A special type of pipe – sandwich. Calculation of the diameter and insulation of air ducts.
A good option would be to purchase a device equipped with humidity sensors, movement and a timer. Hoods in the bathroom with a humidity sensor are automatically configured and work without human intervention.
Preferring the model of the hood to the bathroom with a check valve, you will protect yourself from re-entering exhaust air into the room. Fans with non-return valve prevent the ingress of foreign odors and street dust into the room. The design of the check valve is such that as soon as the fan stops working, the check valve closes.
Check valves are of three types: controlled, self-closing (under the action of a spring) and passive (closed by air flow). For bathrooms, mainly self-closing check valves are used.
Helpful advice! You should be aware that the class of protection and tightness (waterproof) of exhaust devices is indicated by the manufacturer with the symbols “IP”. The safety of the device operation depends on the value of this value.
Before purchasing exhaust devices, read the quality certificates and availability of warranty documents for the products. If your bathroom has impressive dimensions, it would be more efficient to equip it with two hoods than to use one powerful model.
You can get acquainted with the photo of hoods in the bathroom, offered in a large assortment on specializing sites.
One of the main factors for installing a hood in a bathroom is its safe operation. Often in the old houses (the so-called “Stalin”) in the bathroom was installed gas column. The hood in the bathroom in this case is not installed, as for the operation of the column requires a sufficient amount of oxygen, and the fan will draw all the air. Fans can create such a vacuum that there will be a reverse thrust.
First of all, make sure that there is a ventilation hole in the bathroom. If so, the hood is inserted directly into this hole. If there is no hole, they arrange it with their own hands in the wall or on the ceiling of the room.
It is not recommended to install the hood if the ventilation shaft is clogged and does not work well. If the channel is clogged, you should clean it yourself or contact the utilities.
The hood is mounted on the ceiling or in the wall, not less than 200 mm from the ceiling and preferably opposite or diagonally from the door to create an inflow. The mounted fan must be the same size as the hole.
Helpful advice! To ensure the most efficient operation of the hood, it is recommended to install it as far as possible from the mixers, in order to avoid splashing water on the device.
By mounting the hood, you can manually turn on the fan with a separate switch or make a connection that allows the fan to start working along with turning on the light in the bathroom.
Let’s give an example of self-assembly of the hood when the ventilation channel is provided in the room:
- check the efficiency of the ventilation shaft;
- if the channel is clogged, clean it with your own hands, if the area of the hole does not accommodate the dimensions of the device, gently with a chisel and hammer we increase it to the desired size;
- remove the external grille from the fan, insert the device into the ventchannel opening and fix it with screws or liquid nails;
- make sure that the device is tightly located in the vent hole;
- Covering with a grille and using a sealant, close the joints between the external grille and the wall;
- we connect wires to the power supply network;
- for aesthetic reasons, it is better to choose a lattice design appropriate to the style of the bathroom.
By installing the hood in the bathroom or bathroom, you prevent the formation of condensation on the walls and metal surfaces of the faucets, eliminate unpleasant odors – the air in the bathroom will be clean and the room dry.