This article will introduce you to such a procedure as laying paving stones with your own hands: a step-by-step instruction for paving sites and paths, supported by photos and videos, will include a full review of recommendations for choosing materials, planning for future construction and its implementation. The specificity and benefits of using materials such as paving stones and paving slabs will be considered in detail.
Laying options for paving tiles, pavers: photos and features of materials
Stone blocks and paving slabs are considered to be the leading materials used in landscape design. And they are used not only in suburban construction, these products can be found on city streets.
In the photo pavement in the courtyard of private houses can be seen as a design:
- playgrounds for summer holidays;
- barbecue areas;
- the courtyard and the entrance to the house;
- platforms for placing a car in front of the house;
- areas around the gazebo, shed or benches;
- sites under the carport, etc.
Paving belongs to the category of reliable materials with a high level of strength and durability. It has one indisputable advantage. Looking at the asphalt roads and the state in which they are located, it immediately becomes clear that the old streets paved with paving stones, in many ways benefit. Even after 100 years of operation, this antique coating retains its strength without performing repairs.
Note! Similar quality and durability will be provided by paving stones and on your yard, but only under the condition of the correct choice of materials and full compliance with the requirements of the paving technology.
Before starting work you should take care of the preparation of the necessary materials and tools.
Recommendations at the initial stage:
- Before you go to buy consumables, you should carefully measure the area under the paving, deal with the diagrams and patterns, and also calculate the required number of paving stones with a small margin in case damage occurs during the process;
- together with the material should be purchased dry mix for paving. If you intend to put paving stones on concrete, as a rule, such paths can last for several decades. Or purchase other components for work on the sandy surface;
- if there is a need, you need to buy or rent the missing equipment and tools;
- Enlist the support of an assistant, since laying the pavement on your own is difficult enough, or call specialists. To cope with such a large array of work alone will be problematic, especially if you do not have enough experience and knowledge.
The stone blocks represents the products of the small size consisting of natural stone breed. Most often, this type of coating is found on pavements, but due to its natural origin, which ensures the preservation of the form over a long period of time, it is often used for paving paths in the yards of private houses.
Concrete paving belongs to the category of the most commonly used materials for paving grounds and sidewalks. Concrete is used for the production of blanks. Special plasticizers are added to this mixture, as well as pigments of various colors.
Note! Concrete tiles can be created using different technologies – vibropress or vibratory casting. In each case, the coating acquires special properties and advantages.
The production process during which the concrete paving stone is created looks as follows:
- preparation of concrete mix;
- fill forms;
- special treatment of the mixture;
- drying stage.
After the concrete has completely dried, the finished blanks are removed from the molds. During the drying period, the concrete mix hardens and gains strength.
If you want to buy concrete paving stones for work, together with a low and affordable cost, you get quite acceptable operational properties. This material option is suitable if the construction budget is limited.
Prices for pavement based on gray cement:
|Product form||Brand of cement||Dimensional parameters, cm||Price, rub. / M?|
In addition to concrete pavers, there are also other types of coating. The clinker material is made on the basis of clay. Billets are a kind of bricks used for paving sites. Clinker pavement has a different shape and color. This type of material is distinguished by its increased strength, durability and resistance to low temperatures.
Stone pavement for playgrounds and sidewalks is considered by developers as a classic version of the coating. The material for its manufacture are natural stones, mainly:
There are many ways of laying stone paving stones, making it possible to make a road surface that can last for more than a century.
The modern range offers several varieties of this material. The classification is based on the external characteristics of the blanks, which can be:
Helpful advice! Use special types of paving stones to organize the coating on the walkways and terraces. For these purposes, products made of high-quality colored concrete or ceramics are provided.
Granite paving refers to the coatings of natural origin. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that in the conditions of advanced technical progress, specialists have not yet been able to create a technology for producing an artificial analogue of this stone, which has the same service life, level of strength, as well as resistance to atmospheric effects.
Chipped version of the material used in the classic design. The coating is able to withstand significant operational loads, so it can be called almost eternal. While the budget cement paving will be able to serve no more than 20 years.
Granite is extremely stable, so it is best suited for paving:
- park paths.
During the period of long-term operation, the stone is practically not exposed to external changes, it retains its properties.
The advantages of using granite pavers:
- stone billets have an increased strength index, which makes the whole coating durable;
- thanks to its dense structure, granite acquires moisture-proof properties. Moisture can not penetrate into the deep layers of the material, so the paving stones are not afraid of severe frosts and rains;
- stable structure protects granite from the damaging effects of chemicals. The same property provides the material with excellent performance characteristics;
- the natural destruction of the material is very slow. The stone is not susceptible to cracking, burnout, does not show vulnerability to the effects of putrefactive processes and atmospheric phenomena. The natural pattern of the rock is preserved almost in its original form;
- chipped pavement does not absorb dirt particles, self-cleaning in the rain, does not contribute to the accumulation of moisture on the floor. Granite is not afraid of ultraviolet radiation;
- the paving stone cover is easily repairable, and the workpieces themselves can be used for re-paving. Reusable material does not affect the quality of the tracks.
Note! Chipped granite has a fairly high strength. The stone is able to withstand high pressure, severe shocks, high traffic conditions (the surface is not erased), the effects of static loads.
Modern paving stones and tiles have many different shapes and colors. This makes it possible to perform an interesting design solution in the yard of your house. These covers are excellent tools in relation to the arrangement of the local area. They are characterized by reliability and practicality that allows you to operate tracks and platforms for many years.
Even the usual form of tiles or paving stones in the form of bricks can be used to create various patterns. To do this, it is enough to choose an interesting scheme and purchase the material of the corresponding colors. Thanks to this you can improve the aesthetics of the coating and even maintain the style in which the design of your suburban area is made.
On the basis of several types of tiles, you can create interesting patterns, performing the laying of the coating according to a certain pattern. You can develop a drawing yourself or use ready-made options for laying paving slabs:
- geometric shapes, for example, colored rhombuses on a plain background. To give the image a complete exterior, you can use the third color to create a kind of border along the edge of the track;
- zigzags resembling the letter “M”. In the work, you can use 2-3 colors and pavers of various widths. The picture will be dynamic;
- complex geometric patterns look no less impressive. For work it will be enough to choose two colors that contrast with each other. You can create something like a labyrinth or decorate the path with twisted spirals in the form of a Greek pattern;
- The staggered or staggered chess arrangement is very often used in the design of tracks and platforms. Two-tone colors can be varied through the use of lines of different thickness and size;
- strict design can be achieved by repeating geometric shapes of the same size, for example, rhombuses, squares, rectangles.
Helpful advice! If you use repetitive geometric shapes, you must eliminate any irregularities. Carefully prepare the base before laying so that the picture does not look crooked. Paving in this case should also be given increased attention.
Even the simplest patterns will effectively decorate any yard. Using figured or direct types of paving stones, you can emphasize and highlight certain advantages of the local area.
Simple at first glance, two-color patterns will look quite decent if you do the work step by step and neatly. At the same time, it is worth adhering to the advice of specialists in order to achieve the most accurate and even surface. Otherwise, even the most high-quality and expensive material, which will be laid in intricate patterns and drawings, will have a sloppy and cheap appearance. Neglect of technology leads to the formation of irregularities and differences in height over the surface of the coating.
Coating in the form of paving stones has many advantages. Among them, the following qualities stand out:
- compressive strength;
- long service life;
- attractive appearance;
- abrasion resistance;
- extensive scope of application, including paths, recreation areas, pedestrian walkways, parking areas and areas for traffic;
- high level of resistance to temperature, both low and high.
Helpful advice! If the coating will in the future be subjected to severe loads, it is recommended to pave the sidewalks over the concrete base. Sand pillow for these purposes will not work.
Before laying the paving stone, you must perform the preparatory work. The list of these works includes the following procedures:
- Determine the condition of the pavement pavement.
- Choose a circuit in accordance with the planned loads.
- Prepare the surface for work.
For the work will require the preparation of appropriate tools and additional materials:
- paving stones or paving slabs;
- rubber mallet with mallet or hammer with similar coating;
- building level;
- grinder with sets of discs for cutting tiles;
- tape measure, shovel, brush, rake;
- capacity (metal);
- bar made of wood;
- watering can, car;
- sand and a special sieve for sifting;
- protective gloves for hands and glasses.
If you correctly calculate and design a site or track, in the future you will insure yourself against rework, and, therefore, against additional costs for the purchase of material. At this stage, the shape of paving stones is selected. How to put this variant of covering correctly will depend on other factors: the paving scheme, mosaic, color solution, surrounding landscape, as well as the foundation.
Using a tape measure, a set of wooden pegs, a construction cord and a level, mark the area for the breakdown of the playground or paths. Instead of the construction level, you can use the level.
Helpful advice! Be sure to walk through the area allocated for paving the sidewalk, and check how convenient the location you have chosen, if the tracks do not interfere with the passage of road transport. This phase of the work still allows you to make changes without affecting your project.
After that it is necessary to calculate the consumables:
- paving stone;
Use video material to visually see how tiling is being laid. With the observance of technology and the selection of quality materials, pavement paths will decorate your country yard for a very long time.