A profiled pipe has been produced in our country for decades: the dimensions (standard and specified by the customer) are presented in a wide range. The production process of square products is more complicated than the method of manufacturing round pipes. Their cost is justified by additional labor costs. The use of special equipment and hard work, involving the use of new technologies, is a guarantee of the quality of profiled products.
Features of hot and cold pipe rolling
Pipes are hollow thin-walled and thick-walled metal rods of various sizes. Judging by the volume of production and purchases, round and square seamless products remain the most popular. Their consumption increases with the growth of the economy and the needs of the population. The product line is expanded, different sizes of square tube are offered.
Profile pipes are the products of a closed profile, produced from rolled steel. Domestic and foreign companies, improving the technology of release, offer a competitive product. The main dimensions of the profile tubes of rectangular section (as well as square and oval) are listed in the tables on the official websites of manufacturers. Deviations are negotiated by managers with a specific buyer.
Helpful advice! The dimensions of the products, their weight and length, set in the technical specifications, must be checked before purchase of the lot for compliance with the standards of GOST specified in the table.
Profiled pipes are sheet metal forming according to specified parameters. The process consists of several stages; it ends with the processing of products at a calibration mill and welding of the seam. The maximum sizes of rectangular pipes are set initially, the standard is 12 m, the short profile is cut to a size from 1 to 9 m. Enterprises produce products from available raw materials on special equipment, their range is limited by technical conditions (TU). The profile is made from carbon grades of alloyed and high-alloyed (containing chromium, molybdenum, nickel, manganese) steel, resistant to corrosion and high temperature. The brand must meet the standards:
- hot-deformed electrowelded profile – 10ps, St4sp, St4ps, St4kp, St2sp, St2ps, St2kp, 10 and 20;
- hot and cold profile – 10ps, 08kp, 10, 20, 35 and 45.
Profile hire is produced according to specified parameters, including wall thickness, in accordance with GOST 1050-88 and 380-94. In their production is mainly steel grades St2, St3, St10, St20.
According to the method of production, the profile pipes are hot- and cold-formed.
Due to the plasticity of metals, the profiling of any steel billets is available under the influence of high temperatures. At the cut (in cross section) the pipes have the form:
- a rectangle;
A flat-oval arched profile (or oval tubes) is no less in demand, and its production is growing. The technology of their forming practically does not differ from rolling standard professional pipes. This is like an intermediate option between round and rectangular structures, and their quality and endurance are much higher than those of these products. The technology of issue of the standard size of pipes assumes:
- method of cold forming round products with a press;
- welding of rectangular steel sheets.
Important! The cost of rolled products with a welded seam is lower than the price of solid pipes. There is no need to doubt their quality: the joint is checked by the flaw detector before receiving the certificate and acceptance certificate.
In accordance with GOST, any pipe size (in inches and mm) is formed using two technologies that are significantly different from each other:
- By welding a sheet or strip profile (the seam can reduce product quality only under significant loads, and the product has a lower price).
- Rounded rods are pressed into blanks of the same shape on a rolling mill (more expensive technology, seamless products withstand the maximum load in vertical frames).
During the technological formation of a steel pipe, the dimensions correspond to a given length, the shape of the rolling is attached to a rectangular (square) with 4 stiffeners. At the exit pipe profile is obtained. The configuration it stands out among ordinary round pipes. Products from cold rolled products are not significantly different in cost from other types. By applying cold technology, aluminum or galvanized profiles are produced, and they are additionally given anti-corrosion properties.
Helpful advice! It is recommended that you look at the prices for finished products in the price list, considering the obvious savings and the cost of delivery to your region.
The increased demand for aluminum profile is justified by the technical parameters:
- resistance to physical effects;
- low weight with significant metal pipes;
- increased strength with sufficient ductility of the metal;
- minor deviations during deformations;
- wide range of applications;
- reasonable prices for the entire aluminum and galvanized mix, taking into account the sizes of pipes.
In the territory of the Russian Federation more than 400 enterprises specialize in the production of profiled and round steel pipes. They differ in the cross-sectional range and wall thickness, their application is almost unlimited.
All metal components of the assembly and installation used in any field must comply with the following standards:
- GOST 8639-82 – square section profile;
- GOST 8645-68 – rectangular section profile;
- GOST 8642-68 – arched or oval profile.
Size table of steel pipes according to GOST:
|Types of pipe lengths||Length, m||A variety of pipe|
|Dimensional length||4.5-11.0||B / w cold deformed|
|4.0-12.5||B / w hot rolled|
|Unmeasured length||1.5-9.0||B / w cold formed or electrowelded|
|4.0-12.5||B / w hot rolled|
|Multiple lengths with an allowance of 5 mm for a cut||1.5-11.0||B / w cold deformed|
|4.0-12.5||B / w hot rolled|
According to GOST, as well as in accordance with the tables of sizes of pipes of shaped, enterprises offer the following products:
- steel pipe profile of rectangular section with dimensions from 15×10 to 180×150 mm with a metal wall thickness of 1-12 mm (special dimensions – products from 28×25 to 230×170 mm with a wall thickness from 1.5 to 20 mm);
- square profile with an edge from 10 to 180 mm, wall thickness – from 1 to 14 mm (special dimensions – billets from 32 to 65 mm and thickness from 4 to 6 mm);
- steel circular profile, having a format from 6×3 to 90×50 mm and a wall thickness from 0.5 to 2.5 mm (special dimensions – blanks from 17×6.6 to 72×22 mm, wall thickness – from 1 to 1.7 mm).
The development of industry and agriculture, oil production and construction spheres leads to the expansion of the range of shaped profile. The production of pipes having a cross-section of a polyhedron, curved rolled metal and thick-walled supports with an outer diameter of up to 2520 mm (wall up to 75 mm) has been adjusted.
Attention! Enterprises are expanding the production of new forms of pipes, channels, beams and angular profiles. Before buying it is important to clarify the product mix, also an individual order is possible
Each type of pipe, beam and profile is designed for specific purposes. Products with an average wall thickness from 8 to 12 mm are suitable for construction. In the manufacture of such a metal used blanks of steel grade St3sp / ps5, issued in accordance with GOST 14637-89. Also, a high-strength metal of type 09G2S is used (this is a profile according to GOST 19281-89).
The most popular are proftruby – universal metal with stiffeners. They are used for construction:
- sports and playgrounds;
- sports complexes and swimming pools;
- fences and fences;
- frame type metal structures;
- canopies of every possible purpose;
- billboards and billboards;
- flagpoles and towers;
- bus stops, etc.
Each object requires a specific profile. According to the standardization of the product, the shape of the section is classified as “rectangle”, “square”, “oval” and “polygon”.
Products of rectangular section correspond to such parameters:
- technical requirements – GOST 13663-86;
- weight 1 st. m – from 0.348 to 55.71 kg;
- section – from 15×10 to 180×150 mm;
- pipe wall thickness – from 0.8 to 12.0 mm.
- technical requirements – GOST 8639-82;
- weight 1 st. m – from 0.22 to 70.33 kg;
- cross section – from 10×10 to 180×180 mm;
- wall thickness of steel pipe – from 0.8 to 14 mm.
Arched profile (pipe oval section):
- technical standard – GOST 8642-68;
- weight 1 st. m – from 0.513 to 38.7 kg;
- cross section – from 6×3 to 72×22 mm;
- wall thickness – from 0.5 to 2.5 mm.
This table will introduce the standard dimensions and weight of steel pipes:
|Cut shape||Section, mm||Wall, mm||Weight, kg|
|Rectangle||from 10×15 to 1502×180||from 0.8 to 12.0||from 0.348 to 55.71|
|Square||from 10×10 to 180×180||from 0.8 to 14.0||from 0.22 to 70.33|
|Ellipse (oval)||from 6×3 to 72×22||from 0.5 to 2.5||0.0513 to 3.87|
The following designations may appear in the technical documentation:
- GOST – state standard for pipes used in gas, oil and heat pipelines;
- DIN / EN – Eurosort steel pipes in accordance with DIN 2448 and DIN 2458;
- ISO – standard diameters of plumbing and engineering systems;
- SMS – Swedish standard diameters of pipes and valves;
- DU (Dy) – conditional passage.
If you want the size of the product, presented in millimeters, converted to inches, the value is rounded with a large value. 1 inch (inch) contains 25.4 mm, which gives an error when rounding, taken into account when buying.
Table of pipe diameters in inches and millimeters:
|Diameter of pipes, inches||Diameter of pipes, mm|
|1 + 1/4||32|
|1 + 1/2||40|
|2 + 1/2||70|
The most popular are the following dimensions (measuring length up to 12 m and in segments of a multiple format):
- square pipes – section from 15×15 to 60×60 mm;
- rectangular profile – section from 15×20 to 44×80 mm.
Steel pipes profile (sizes are regulated by the state standard) according to the processing method are mainly divided into the following types:
- seamless cold formed (cold drawn and cold rolled);
- hot-rolled seamless steel pipes (hot-rolled, hot-pressed and hot-rolled);
- hot deformed welded (longitudinal, spiral);
- seamless (centrifugal, warm-rolled and heat-drawn) products;
The form of delivery of the profile – packs, bundles, boxes, cars of different weights, mostly from 1 to 5 tons. Shipment is performed by a crane and forklift trucks, transportation is carried out by wagons, water and railway transport.
Due to the wide range and size range, profile pipes are used in various fields of construction, furniture production, agriculture, mechanical engineering, as well as in oil refining systems. Due to the universality of profiled steel pipes, the demand for these products is increasing rapidly. In this regard, the product mix is constantly expanding, as well as the size range.