OSB sheets are widely used in construction for the construction of partitions, sheathing under the roof, when mounting walls, as well as for lining and packaging of other materials. In terms of technical characteristics, they are significantly superior to the already familiar chipboard and fiberboard. Choosing and buying sheets OSB: thickness and size, prices – are decisive factors. Acquaintance with the classification, the characteristics of each product group and the areas of their application will help you acquire suitable materials.
Classification of sheets of RSD and methods of their production
The abbreviation OSB stands for “oriented strand board.” The material for its manufacture are wood chips or chips. In the production process, several layers of such chips are pressed in mutually perpendicular directions. For this purpose, a special polymer material based on resin and other binding additives is added.
Depending on the subtleties of manufacture, the properties obtained and the purpose of the resulting RSD, they can be divided into four groups:
- OSB-1 – used to create products intended for operation in conditions of low humidity. For example, such plates are used for the manufacture of furniture, or as a wooden packaging.
- OSB-2 – used in the construction of internal supporting structures. This product group can only be used in dry rooms.
- OSB-3 – used to create walls, capital partitions and supporting structures in conditions of high humidity.
- OSB-4 is the most durable and moisture resistant band. Used as a specialized building material. Such plates can withstand heavy loads.
It should be noted that about 90% of all products on the market are occupied by OSB-3 plates. Since these sheets have the most universal characteristics that allow using them in a wide range of works, including the construction of low-rise buildings.
The thickness and size of the sheet of plywood: prices, types and application. Features of production, characteristics, main types, advantages and disadvantages. Overview of the market of building materials.
In the countries of the former Soviet Union, this material is used relatively recently, but in the US and Europe OSB slabs are widely used in construction due to a number of unique properties:
- convenient sizes of plates. Standard parameters are 1,22х2,44 m;
- ease of use and handling. OSB sheets are perfectly amenable to mechanical stress, such as sawing. Using a hand or electric tool, you can easily cut off the necessary part, avoiding the appearance of cracks or chipping, and getting the desired size of the OSB sheet;
- material strength. Oriented strand boards can withstand heavy loads. At the same time, their rigidity allows mounting any fasteners in them, for example, nails, screws, self-tapping screws. Because of this, they are easily interconnected, forming a one-piece design. According to this indicator, OSB boards are not inferior even to a massive wooden board;
- light finish. After the completion of installation work, the plates can be simply painted or used for finishing any facing materials;
Helpful advice! Before applying plaster on the OSB of the slab, it is imperative that you remove all external defects on the surface and carefully prime the entire surface.
- a light weight. With a standard OSB size of 9 mm, the weight of the plate is only 18 kg. This makes it easy to transport the material and lift it to any desired height;
- low cost OSB slabs are an inexpensive building material, the price per square meter on average is 150 rubles.
The above properties of this type of building material make it applicable in many areas of work. OSB boards are used not only for the construction of buildings, but also in the production of furniture and packaging, as well as for finishing the interior of trucks, ships and trains.
Types of work that consumes the greatest number of OSB slabs produced:
- installation of floors and partitions, the construction of both internal and external walls in low-rise buildings. For this purpose, second and third grade slabs with a thickness of 9 to 12 mm are used. Such panels can be installed both vertically and horizontally;
- floor finish. In this case, the plate is placed perpendicular to the special lags, which serve as the basis. For this, slabs of greater thickness are used – 18-22 mm, which allows for additional heat and waterproofing;
- solid obreshetka roof. The moisture-resistant sheets OSB-3 are best suited for this in size and thickness. The price and quality at the same time meet all the necessary requirements. From above it is possible to equip a roof from slate, a metal tile or rolled materials;
- construction of temporary fences. The moisture resistance of the boards of the OSB-3 group allows using them for arranging fences or protective structures.
Helpful advice! If you plan to sheathe the walls with the help of OSB, then you must first properly install special metal profiles that will serve as the basis for fastening. In this case, the pitch of the lags or crates should be no more than 400 mm.
Having decided on the purpose for which the plates will be used, you can proceed to the choice of the thickness and size of the OSB sheets. The price will depend not only on these indicators, but also on the selected manufacturer. To date, the price for a sheet of OSB 3 and the size of 2440x1200x9 mm ranges from 500-650 rubles per piece. The cost of a thicker sheet is higher, and the price of the RSD for a 1250x2500x18 mm slab will be about 1000 rubles per piece.
Therefore, you should not buy slabs of a higher class than is necessary. This will lead to financial costs that are not necessary. It is better to take OSB plywood suitable in size, price and sheet thickness, recommended for this type of work from a better-known manufacturer.
Helpful advice! If you are a non-professional in the construction business, it is better to buy slabs of standard sizes. So it will be easier for you to count the necessary quantity. And where it will be necessary, you can always additionally cut the sheets. In addition, most of the instructions that are given on the Internet, focused on the standard dimensions of the plates.
After reviewing the proposed range of sizes and prices of OSB slabs, you will see that this is an inexpensive and versatile building material that allows you to easily perform a lot of various jobs. And with all this, such sheets are safe for the environment and your health.