Air conditioning is a great way to get rid of summer heat and create a comfortable atmosphere in an apartment at any time of the year. In the modern market of household appliances there are a huge number of models of air conditioners from various manufacturers, and it is quite difficult to choose the best option. In order to know how to choose air conditioning for an apartment, you need to understand in detail the types and features of these devices.
Varieties of air conditioners
According to the design and installation features, there are several types of air conditioners.
Windowed – as the name implies, this type of unit is mounted inside the window. This is one of the cheapest options, however, it has many drawbacks:
- the design is rather bulky and takes up most of the window;
- if it is bad to seal the opening in which the unit is placed, then cold air can penetrate into the apartment through it;
- This system is very noisy.
In view of all these shortcomings, it is recommended to consider whether it is worth saving a small amount for the sake of such a device.
Outdoor – the easiest to install, but far from the most efficient systems. The question of how much it costs to install an air conditioner of this type into an apartment arises quite rarely, since it can be done without any special problems even on our own, and this does not require special skills or tools. Unfortunately, this type has disadvantages:
- drafts that inevitably arise when the power is not properly selected;
- quite bulky dimensions and the need for a large amount of free space.
Ducts – installed directly into the ventilation ducts. This type of device is not very popular due to the fact that it is difficult to install and maintain, and also it is quite expensive. The advantage of the channel conditioner is its stealth.
Cassette – mounted under a false ceiling. The answer to the question of how much it costs to install an air conditioner of this type in an apartment depends largely on the parameters of the ceiling, and not the appliance. It is worth noting that their installation is not much easier than channel models.
Mobile – in such an air conditioner, all the elements are assembled in one case, which can be freely transferred from room to room. Unlike the window system, this design can not only cool, but also heat the air, and is also controlled by the remote control. Of the minuses – a high level of noise and the need to make a hole in the wall for removing the air vent to the street.
Split systems – the design having internal and external blocks. They are characterized by low noise, additional control using the remote control, the presence of a display, the ability to fine-tune and program the temperature mode, and other advantages. Split system – this is one of the most convenient options for air conditioning for the apartment.
Multisystems – the same as a split system, but with several internal blocks. If you need to adjust the temperature for each of the rooms separately, then the multisystem will be the ideal solution.
Helpful advice! Split systems and multisystems, with all their advantages, are quite difficult to install, so you should get acquainted with the materials and installation manuals in advance.
Disputes about whether portable air conditioners or other types of systems are needed in an apartment, or their placement adversely affect health, have been going on for a long time. In fact, any system with an air filter is an escape for allergies and asthmatics, since the filter absorbs pollen, dust, animal hair and other allergenic particles. The main thing is to change filters in a timely manner.
Advice of doctors on the subject of air conditioners sometimes diverge. Most complain that in the pursuit of coolness, many people incorrectly adjust the temperature and intensity of the air flow, because of which they often catch cold even in hot summer.
Helpful advice! Cleaning the air conditioner filters is also a very important moment. It should be carried out professionally, once every 1-3 months. Otherwise, pathogenic microbes accumulate in the filter.
Not everyone knows, but in case of untimely cleaning of the filter there is a risk of not only a banal cold, but also pneumonia, and other serious diseases.
Another disadvantage of using the air conditioner is a decrease in air humidity of up to 30-40% with a sanitary standard of 30-60%. Because of this, people in the room can dry out the mucous membrane of the mouth and respiratory tract. This leads to an increased risk of respiratory disease. That is why, together with the air conditioner, it is recommended to use a humidifier.
In order not to catch a cold due to the use of an air conditioner, it is recommended not to be directly under the stream of cold air. Otherwise, you can get not only an extensive set of colds, but also muscle inflammation.
If you are not sure which air conditioner to choose for an apartment, then you should pay attention to power, the ability to fine-tune the temperature and other important parameters.
The noise level of the system is one of the most important parameters when choosing a device for use in an apartment. It is impossible to completely remove the noise, as the compressor and fans are constantly working inside the unit, there is an active air exchange. The amount of noise produced depends on the characteristics of a particular model, its power, installation site and other factors. Which air conditioner is better to choose for an apartment, so that it is as quiet as possible?
For this you need to take into account a number of points:
- The instructions for the device, usually, indicate the noise level separately for the external and internal units. Naturally, the noise level of the latter is more important, since it is he who is in the apartment. It depends on the power of the system, but the instructions indicate the data only for the minimum and maximum. The average noise level of a modern system is 24-35 dB. It is almost invisible in the daytime.
- The split system by default makes less noise than any other due to the division into two blocks. Monoblock designs produce a lot more noise when working.
- At night, the external noise is less, so the sounds from the air conditioner are more noticeable. Therefore, if you choose a model in the bedroom, then you need the so-called night mode. This is a special feature of some air conditioners, which allows to reduce the noise level to 17-20 dB. Naturally, this is done by reducing the power of the device to a minimum.
In order to determine the choice of air conditioning for an apartment, first of all, you need to calculate its power. To do this, you need to know the area of the apartment and the room in which the device will be mounted, the height of the ceilings, the number of people who will be in the room, and many other parameters. The equipment in the room and the warming of the sun are also important.
For example, for effective cooling of 8-10 m? the room requires 1 kW of power of the unit, provided that the height of the ceilings does not exceed 3 m. If the room has constantly working appliances, then for cooling 10 m? You need 1.5 kW of power. On many modern sites there are special calculators with which you can calculate the required power, taking into account the individual characteristics of the room.
What can happen if the capacity of the unit is less than necessary? Most likely, in this case, the air conditioner will work quite effectively, but work for wear, which will lead to its premature failure. Therefore, when buying a device of deliberately low power, you do not save money, but just the opposite.
Excessive power also does not lead to anything good. If you are interested in how to choose the right air conditioners in an apartment, then you should know that too powerful equipment is a big and unjustified power consumption, that is, extra financial costs.
Helpful advice! If when calculating the power you got a very great value, for example, 2 kW, then you should not be afraid. The required cooling power and power consumed by the device are different concepts.
As a rule, the cooling power is more than 2-3 times consumed. This means that if you need a device with a cooling power of 2 kW, then the energy consumption will be 700 W, which is less than the average electric iron.
The effectiveness of the work can affect the numerous functions that are equipped with modern devices:
- heating the room during the cold season;
- the presence of odor-eliminating anti-allergenic filter;
- the presence of a dust filter;
- inversion, that is, the regulation of compressor power. This function not only saves energy by 30%, but also makes the system less noisy;
- air ionization function;
- ventilation of the room, that is, uniform distribution of air through the rooms.
Remember that the more the device has additional features, the more expensive it is. Therefore, you need to understand what gives the presence of a particular mode. For example, the function “comfortable sleep” implies a reduction in the noise level by reducing the power of work to a minimum, and the forced mode is a quick heating of the room by working at maximum power. Also, some models have a “wind” mode, which means imitation of a natural breeze due to random changes in the direction of air flow.
If you are going to use the air conditioner in the “economical” mode, then note that in this case more time will be spent on creating the necessary indoor climate. The device in the dehumidification mode will purposefully remove moisture from the air, making it drier. And in the self-test mode, the air conditioner is able to test itself, determine the nature of the malfunction, if any, and display information about them in the form of a code on the display.
Most of all, the climate control function affects the cost of the device. If it is, then the device itself determines the optimal mode of operation based on the results of the sensors, which constantly scan the temperature, composition and cleanliness of the air in the room.
Another useful feature is self-cleaning of the indoor unit. When it is available after each shutdown, the device dries itself from the inside using antiseptic agents. This prevents the condensation of moisture, as well as the occurrence of fungus inside the air conditioner and the multiplication of pathogenic bacteria.
Helpful advice! Choosing a set of additional functions, do not forget that the most important parameters are the power and power consumption of the device.
Many floor air conditioners for apartments and other types of systems are equipped with special filters that can not only clean the air from dust, but also eliminate unpleasant odors and perform other useful functions. The following types of filters are distinguished:
- coal – absorb harmful impurities from the air, eliminate unpleasant odors;
- Plasma – good for people who suffer from allergies, clean the air from dust, smoke and allergenic particles, and also remove unpleasant odors;
- nanofilters – not only purify the air from pollen, extraneous odors or animal hair, but also perform the function of ionization;
- electrostatic – effectively cope with dust and smoke;
- ultraviolet – disinfect the air, but when they work can not be in the room;
- silver ion – also stop the spread of bacteria and germs.
Recently, inverter models have become widely used. The cost of installation in the apartment of air conditioners of this type is higher than normal. So how do they differ apart from the price?
Each air conditioner adjusts its operation according to user settings and environmental conditions. In this case, the energy consumption should also be different in different operating modes. In fact, a conventional unit always works with maximum power. Different modes of operation are supported only by the fact that with the help of a temperature sensor the compressor is turned on and off for different periods of time.
To cool the air in the room to a certain point (for example, 20 ° C), the initial temperature in the room is taken into account, the duration of the unit operation will depend on it. Those. it will take more time to reduce the temperature from the 28 degree mark than from the 24 ° C mark. But in both cases, the air conditioner will operate at full capacity, consuming a large amount of electricity.
The inverter system is good because it can regulate the rotational speed of the compressor, depending on the readings of the temperature sensor. The compressor in the inverter air conditioner never stops working, but it does so with more or less power.
Inverter air conditioner or split system boasts the following advantages:
- Maintain a constant temperature with a stable system.
- Much less noise compared to a conventional system in temperature maintenance mode.
- Lower electricity consumption by 20-30%, as the device operates continuously with different power, and does not spend energy on frequent switching on and off.
- There are no starting currents during operation, so you get rid of the risk of burning the old wiring.
- The set temperature is reached much faster than when using a conventional unit, due to the forced cooling mode.
Helpful advice! Answering the question, what kind of air conditioner is better for an apartment – regular or inverter, it should be understood that at the high cost of the latter, it allows you to save money through the economical use of electricity.
Of course, when choosing an assembly model, the individual characteristics of the room where it will be installed are of great importance. So, if you need a mobile air conditioner for an apartment, reviews on the Internet indicate that it is well suited for almost any room. The same applies to the window type, you only need to choose power.
Split systems are more complicated. For example, you need to choose the right place for mounting blocks. The outdoor unit can be mounted on a vertical surface, that is, a wall or on a horizontal one, that is, on a roof or on a foundation. The indoor unit can be placed on a wall, floor, ceiling, or even inside it, if suspended ceilings are installed in your apartment.
By the way, the presence of a suspended ceiling is one of the decisive factors when choosing a system. If they are, then cassette or duct systems can be used. With this type of equipment, the indoor unit is fully integrated into the ceiling, so you get several advantages:
- The block is absolutely not noticeable in the interior, that is, you do not need to puzzle over whether the design of the air conditioner fits your wallpaper.
- The device evenly distributes the air flow throughout the room.
When installing the unit in the ceiling, the location is best determined by an experienced technician. He will tell you how to install the air conditioner in the apartment, taking into account the length of the inter-block route, the power supply characteristics and the height difference between the units, access to the inside and other factors.
Like any other household appliance, air conditioning has a number of limitations and features of use. Compliance with them will allow you to extend the life of the device and save money on repairs and replacement. Of course, each model requires an individual approach, which is set out in the instruction manual, but there are a number of common points:
- do not turn on the unit at a temperature lower than that specified in the instructions. Most models are simply not designed for use during the cold season, and if this rule is violated, there is a risk of a hydraulic shock, a serious breakdown after which the device cannot be repaired;
- It is necessary to prevent the penetration of warm air from the street into the room in which the system operates. The fact is that the power of each device is designed for a certain amount of air, and if new warm air is constantly added to this volume, the device will work continuously. And this leads not only to the expenditure of excess finance, but also to premature wear and increased probability of breakage;
- Do not prevent the spread of air flow by installing curtains, cabinets and other partitions on their way. If the device works in a limited space, then its efficiency will be lower than it should be;
- You should not place the unit near heat sources, that is, with working electrical devices such as a TV, refrigerator, etc. A thermostat that is located next to a heated object can perceive its temperature as a room temperature and adjust its operation depending on this. Also, it is not necessary to place the device where it will be heated from direct sunlight, and if this is not possible, cover it with curtains during the daytime;
- if the room is being cleaned or if a high content of dust in the air is noticed, then the device should be turned off, since the filter can simply not withstand the increased load;
- Despite the fact that the use of air conditioning reduces the moisture content in the air, its excess can also be harmful to the unit. Due to the high humidity in the room, mold and pathogens can form inside the system.
Helpful advice! The best conditioner for an apartment is one that requires minimal maintenance and is easy to operate.
As mentioned above, there are a number of models that can be used even in the cold season. The operating temperature of such models can reach -25 ° C, in addition, they have a heating mode. But do not think that such an air conditioner can replace the heater, it has a number of nuances that should be considered.
It should be understood that even the “winter” model does not have heating elements, and the air is heated by using the “heat pump” technology. It allows the device to take heat from the external environment and add it to the room, that is, to work in reverse mode. If the room is already cold, then this technology will be ineffective.
It is best to use a unit with a heating function when the central heating is already turned on, but there is a need for an additional heat source. It cannot replace even the most low-power heater with itself, but it will be effective at an ambient temperature from 0 to -5 ° C. If you turn on the air conditioner at a lower temperature, then you risk quickly disabling it.
- Air conditioning filters Cooper Hunter or any other must be removed and washed at least once every two weeks.
- Once a year professional cleaning of the indoor unit should be carried out. Also, with the help of a specialist, it is necessary to clean the outdoor unit, as it often gets dust from the street, debris, poplar fluff or soot from car exhausts.
With all these recommendations, the selected device will serve you for many years without the need for repairs, and the air in the apartment will always remain clean and fresh.