The most popular roofing coatings on the construction market are sheet building materials, such as ondulin or metal tile: we will find out what is better to use for the roofing of residential buildings in this article by performing an analysis of technical and operational characteristics in accordance with the main criteria for the quality of the roofing. We will consider such properties of coatings as durability, strength, installation system, fire safety, etc.
Ondulin or metal tile: what is better to buy for the roof of the house
Opinions on which of the roofing materials are better, diverge. And so consider not only the owners of country houses, but also the experts who use ondulin and metal tile in the work.
Each of the materials has its own undeniable advantages. Some of them are inherent in both ondulin and metal tile, others may favorably distinguish one material against the background of another. To find out, it is necessary to consider in more detail the properties of ondulin and metal tile, to compare their capabilities.
Ondulin – roofing made of cellulose fibers, which have been pre-cleaned, soaked with petroleum bitumen and ether resins, after which they were pressed.
Note! Ondulin as a roofing material for over 70 years. It was invented in France as an economical and practical coating for the quick restoration of roofs of shingles, metal or slate damaged during the war. Since then, ondulin has not lost its popularity.
Today there are two options for coverage:
- Ondulin is a classic material in the form of rectangular sheets with parameters of 0.95×2.05 m (this material looks like a painted slate with a wave height of 3.6 cm).
- Onduvilla is a modern version of Ondulin, which looks like a Mediterranean tile covering with parameters 0.4×2.05 m (made on the basis of strips of cellulose impregnated with bitumen and overlapped).
If you compare these materials, left on forums on the roof of the ondulin consumer reviews, positively reflect such an advantage as weight. An ondulin sheet with standard dimensional parameters weighs no more than 6 kg. While onvilla has a lot more weight for the reason that the styling is multi-layered.
Thanks to the light weight of the ondulin, the reconstruction of the old roof can be carried out without dismantling the outdated coating.
Many owners of country houses have already noted the positive qualities of ondulin.
Among the reviews featured such benefits:
- simple installation system, not involving the removal of the old coating, before laying a new one. There is no need to produce complex and time-consuming preparatory procedures;
- there is no need to use heavy machinery, high speed of work;
- when purchasing ondulin, the complete set required for installation is attached to it, so it is not necessary to additionally purchase elements for installation of the coating;
- high flexibility of sheet material makes it possible to cover even the roof of complex shape;
- consumables and ondulin in the purchase have a low cost, so this coverage option is available for most buyers;
- the material contains no asbestos and other substances harmful to human health;
- high level of noise insulation, thanks to which raindrops and hail do not cause discomfort to the residents of the house with their noise;
- wave height always corresponds to the standard parameter; there is no discrepancy in the sheets among the sheets.
Helpful advice! Having laid a material with a thick layer, you can get a more durable version of the roof.
Despite such attractive qualities, among the reviews of ondulin in the forums there are negative comments.
As a rule, they relate to the following points:
- Since brittleness is inherent in the material, it is impossible to move around the roof during repair or maintenance work without damaging the coating. For these purposes, be sure to use special tools.
- Ondulin has a low flammability limit and supports fire well. This minus can be called the most significant for this material. The only positive side of this is that it is quite difficult to set fire to the ondulin roof. A similar situation occurs with overlaid roofing felt.
- Under the influence of direct sunlight, the coating burns out and loses its appearance in a year.
On the ondulin forum reviews for the most part are of a positive nature, therefore, this coverage can be considered a profitable investment in the construction of a house.
Metal tile is a type of roofing coating, the raw material for the manufacture of which is galvanized steel, obtained by the rolling method combined with the technology of cold pressing.
At production, the material is given a special wavy shape, after which a protective coating is applied in the form of a coloring composition or a polymeric substance.
Note! Initially the metal tile was called “Ranilla”, since this type of material was made exclusively according to the Finnish technology.
Metal tiles are available in several versions, differing from each other in the shape of the core element, the composition of the protective coating and the thickness of the workpiece. At the same time, reviews by the owners of cottages left by what kind of metal tile it is better to cover the roof of the building differ, since in each of the cases not only the material properties, but also the taste preferences of the buyers, as well as budgetary possibilities play a role.
Technical features of the coating:
- The width of the sheet is in the range of 116-118 cm. This moment is explained by the shape of the profile and its height.
- The length of the workpiece has a wider variation – from 35 cm to 800 cm. Manufacturers have the technical ability to cut the material in any order. The minimum pitch is 35 cm.
- Wave height is in the range of 22-25 mm.
- Depending on the type of material, the wave crests can be located at a distance of 35-40 cm from each other.
The terms of the operational service of metal tiles, as well as the level of its quality, determine the composition of the protective coating consisting of polymers.
Note! The thicker the protective coating, the better the color of the coating is obtained. Its resistance to fading increases. The polymer layer simultaneously performs both protective and decorative functions.
The finishing covering on a metal tile happens the following types:
- Pural – well tolerated operation in different climatic conditions. Possesses the longest period of effective operation.
- Polyester – suitable for use in temperate climates. Material differs in availability in the price.
- Polydiftorate – maintains operation in any climatic conditions. For a long time retains coloring pigments on the coating.
The material with a galvanized coating without staining has the lowest service life, since the galvanic zinc layer is easily damaged. After that, corrosion is formed in this zone, gradually destroying the material.
Taking into account the advantages of each of the materials considered earlier, one can come to the following conclusion: ondulin is the most optimal coverage if the construction budget is limited by rigid frames, and the use of metal tile promises reliability and durability (subject to full compliance with the installation technology).