Many of us still remember when the sheds were made of gray slate on supports made from metal or wooden posts. They, of course, protected from the weather, but made the space under them dark and dull. Lightweight translucent polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house have replaced the nondescript buildings: a photo of non-trivial forms reliably demonstrates the elegance and functionality of modern canopies made of durable and durable polycarbonate.
Versatile use of polycarbonate sheds in the yard
The appearance on the market of building materials of polycarbonate, which has high optical and mechanical properties, made it possible to successfully apply it to various kinds of lightweight structures: light-transmitting roofs, greenhouses, sheds, gazebos, porches, canopies, summer showers and many others.
Due to the plasticity of this material, it became possible to translate into reality the elegant design of polycarbonate sheets. The versatility of canopies with the use of polycarbonate consists in the fact that in addition to the function of protection from the negative influence of climatic conditions, they perfectly complement and complete the architectural composition.
The use of polycarbonate sheets to cover canopies is explained by a number of qualitative characteristics of this material:
- high impact strength – with a small mass, polycarbonate is hundreds of times stronger than glass and many times stronger than acrylic plastic and polyvinyl chloride;
- light weight – provides the convenience of cutting, processing and installation;
- excellent transparency – transmits and diffuses the light, preventing from ultraviolet radiation;
- resistance to chemical and atmospheric influences;
- high bending strength, resistance to mechanical stress;
- safety of processing – does not crack, does not break, does not give sharp fragments on impact;
- durability – preservation of quality properties during the entire period of operation;
- fire resistance;
- heat resistance – withstands temperature drops from -30 to + 55 ° С;
- does not require additional processing, easy to maintain;
- excellent design characteristics – has plasticity, easily bends, has a variety of colors, manufacturers are constantly expanding the color range.
Helpful advice! When purchasing polycarbonate for canopies, try to choose a color that will create under the building a comfortable shade of light. Green is suitable for the recreation area, bronze for the car, and the turquoise above the pool will give the water a natural shade.
In its structure, polycarbonate is monolithic and cellular (honeycomb), having several layers connected by stiffeners. Preferring to use for coating a canopy of a particular type of plastic, you should take into account the requirements for the design. Monolithic polycarbonate – extra strong, shock resistant, durable, but heavier and more expensive. Cellular samples are quite plastic, light, due to the scattering of light, prevent the heating of objects under sheds.
Given the plasticity and ease of processing polycarbonate, the fastening of the sheets to the canopy frame can be done independently. Plastic is well cut and drilled without chipping and does not form cracks. But it is worth reading some of the rules and nuances of installation:
- Lay the sheets must be labeled side up, where the plastic is treated with a protective color film, otherwise the polycarbonate will quickly collapse. Traditionally, manufacturers have put their logo on this film;
- when drilling holes for mounting, you need to make sure that the distance from the edge of the sheet was over 45 mm;
- the location of the lines of the edges of the sheets in length should fall on the longitudinal elements of the frame;
- it is necessary to calculate the exact pitch of the longitudinal supports and transverse elements of the frame to ensure the rigidity of the structure of polycarbonate panels;
- for point fastening of sheets to the frame, self-tapping screws with special thermal washers (in the color of plastic) are used, and the holes for the self-tapping screws are made a little more, taking into account the thermal expansion of the material;
- the sheets are arranged in such a way as to ensure the discharge of condensate from the channels to the outside. Channels in the material have a longitudinal direction;
- if the canopy is arched, the sheet is positioned so that the stiffeners go along the arc, with the sloping canopy – along the slope;
- for the longitudinal connection of panels use polycarbonate profiles (transparent or colored);
- end edges of sheets must be properly processed: if the polycarbonate is located on an inclined, the top edge is closed with an airtight tape, the bottom – with a punched tape. In the arched structure both ends are supplied with punched tape. This treatment prevents dust from getting inside the sheet and at the same time provides condensate drain;
- when caring for the material it is not recommended to use abrasives or to remove contamination with sharp objects (knives, screwdrivers).
Helpful advice! Do not leave the end edges of the polycarbonate completely open or completely seal the lower ends. Improper processing of the ends of the sheet will lead to a deterioration of the light transmission properties of the material.
Polycarbonate sheds in the courtyard of a private house (the photo illustrates designs with original lines) fit perfectly into the overall exterior design and provide mitigation of the negative effects of bad weather and UV rays.
Polycarbonate canopies in the courtyard of a private house (photos of structures with different outlines confirm this) can be given any configuration. But there are several types of frames that are most often used in the courtyards of their own houses and in the suburban areas.
One of the first in this list are awnings of arched (semicircular) shape. They are used to cover the yard, parking space, swimming pool, terrace, balcony, porch. Arched canopies are often used with the support of one side of the existing capital structure or fencing. The advantage of this type of frame is, above all, the free flow of snow from the mounted cover.
It should be noted that when it rains, water flows on both sides of the shed. The arched structure is quite durable and damage to such a structure from strong wind gusts is unlikely. The complexity of self-production in the arched version consists in the difficulty of bending the profiled frame pipe.
Cascading canopy systems look very stylish. They consist of several semicircular structures located at different levels. Such sheds are used to cover the high porch with a large number of steps in order to avoid precipitation falling on the lowermost step.
If, when protecting the porch, only one arched canopy is used, it will have to be positioned under an appropriate slope, which will allow water to flow directly below the bottom step. A cascade design will direct the flow of water to the side. The manufacture and installation of such a system is more complicated and involves additional expenditure of materials.
Sheds canopies are quite simple, but no less popular in the arrangement of the yard. The frame is going easy. There is no need to use trusses to reinforce the structure, bending polycarbonate panels for coating. The main condition will be the correct choice of the angle of inclination and thickness of the coating, at which it will withstand the snow load.
The gable canopy is often used to protect barbecues, barbecues, porches. Its device is a little more difficult, in comparison with a single-sided construction, but it is more resistant to powerful wind flows. By itself, the gable design provides better protection from rain and snow. The steeper slope angle of the slopes provides a quick drift of snow from the roof surface.
Many people prefer to attach a canopy to one of the walls of the house. Typically, such structures cover a fairly significant, if not all, part of the yard, which allows you to be outdoors in any weather. There are shelters covering the passage to the summer kitchen or garage, which also eliminates the discomfort when traveling in inclement weather. Suspended structures attached to the house may have a lean-to or arched shape. The main thing is to correctly calculate the load in the winter period of operation of the canopy.
Other popular types of awnings are visors. Usually they are set up above the entrance or porch, protecting it from rain and icing in the winter season. A visor above the porch will protect against water from entering the steps and prevent their destruction. You can equip the entrance door to the workshop, bath, summer kitchen or basement.
The shape of the visors give a different: odnoskatnuyu, gable, semicircular. Care should be taken to ensure that the design was kept in the general style and securely fastened. Flawless look visors arched with ornaments made of forged elements.
Functionality and aesthetics are different canopies, covering recreation areas, playgrounds, as well as acting as gazebos. The variety of constructive and color solutions of these structures is really impressive. There are products in the form of a dome or a tent, using a combination of colors of polycarbonate for various sectors of the coating. Small hinged polycarbonate structures above the complex of several benches and a table, where you can, despite the weather, enjoy the local scenery, look simple and concise.
Many pool owners build canopies over them. This greatly simplifies the care of the artificial reservoir and allows you to indulge in water procedures in any weather. Due to the protective properties of polycarbonate, you can swim in a pool under such a shed, even when the sun is at its zenith: it will not harm health.
The design protects the body of water from debris, foliage and rainwater. Sheds can be installed both permanently and have a collapsible structure. For coating, monolithic polycarbonate with a thickness of more than 5 mm or cellular is used more often if its thickness is at least 8 mm.
Sheds made of polycarbonate, covering a balcony or terrace, combine functionality and aesthetics. Translucent structures reliably protect open spaces from precipitation, preventing premature destruction. And elegant forms adequately make out the facade.
The canopies providing protection of the car use huge popularity. They are a worthy alternative to capital garages. Such structures can have a different shape, be attached to the house or directly to the garage, as well as installed separately. Some models of canopies have a single-sided form with a closed back side or are tied to the fence of the site.
The sizes of carports are determined on the basis of the dimensions of the car itself. For small cars, it is enough to cover the area of 2.5×5 m, for impressive off-road vehicles or family minivans, the size of the site increases to 3.5×6.5 m. covered space.
Particularly relevant is the installation of carports for polycarbonate cars (photo examples can be used for the sample) at the dacha, where there is not always enough space for a garage. In order to save the site, the structures are attached to the house, and if there is no need, detached canopies are constructed.
Given the specific characteristics of polycarbonate, this coating is the best way to protect the car. You can be sure that the machine will be protected from precipitation, will not overheat in the sun. By selecting the material of a particular color, you can adjust the illumination of the space under the canopy.
Many craftsmen independently install carports for polycarbonate cars. The price in this case will include only the cost of materials.
The design of conventional canopies made of polycarbonate is quite simple and consists of supporting posts, frame and coating. Such structures are easily built independently. But the manufacture of more complex canopies of polycarbonate (photos and prices are listed in the catalogs) is better to entrust experienced craftsmen.
Given the increasing demand for canopy designs, many manufacturers offer their services for their manufacture and installation. You can purchase components for a canopy from manufacturers, or order finished products with installation. Prices for finished products coated with polycarbonate are quite loyal.