Sheds and awnings for the terrace and veranda are an opportunity to give the building a noble look and at the same time to use the adjacent territory rationally. Depending on the wishes and financial possibilities of the owners of the house, there are many different options for arranging the shed and awnings for the terrace and the veranda. Consider all possible design options, their advantages, disadvantages and features.
Sheds and awnings for the terrace and veranda: design features
Today a much broader concept is embedded in the word “marquise” than a few years ago. Retractable fabric structures and vertical frameless partitions designed to protect their wearer from strong winds and sunlight are now also referred to as this term. Due to its wide functional spectrum, as well as the ability to significantly decorate the local area, these automated canopies have gained wide popularity among owners of country houses.
What is the difference between the customary canopy and the marquise? While a conventional canopy has a rigid, fixed, fixed frame, the opening level of the awning can be adjusted as desired. Consider what features should be considered if you decide to mount the structure yourself:
- the marquise is attached to the wall of the building with one side;
- for its folding or twisting does not require disassembly of the system;
- the functions of the finished system are fully automated.
The most common material used for the manufacture of awnings and awnings – acrylic canvas. Possessing excellent water-repellent, wind-resistant and anti-glare characteristics, this fabric has an aesthetic and elegant appearance. In addition, the temperature range allowed for the use of acrylic is very wide.
The price of acrylic canvas is determined mainly by the manufacturer. The cost of a standard 1.5-meter roll can be on average from 800 to 1,200 rubles per meter meter.
Polyester canvas is also a very common material for creating awnings and awnings due to its cost and characteristics. This fabric has high strength due to polyurethane impregnation. Because of this, it is often used for car and parking awnings.
The cost of one running meter of Korean-made polyester canvases ranges from 250 to 320 rubles. Fabric produced in the USA is considered to be of higher quality, and prices for the same volume of material start at 900 rubles.
PVC-cloth – another way to design awnings. Smooth, glossy surface perfectly decorate your local area. In addition, it is the most budget option of all. Prices for this type of fabric start at 150 rubles per meter. PVC has high strength, so that the passage of snow or water is excluded. In this case, the canopy will not sag under the weight of the accumulated precipitation. The range of permissible use temperatures is very wide – from -30 to 50 ° C.
To improve the quality characteristics of PVC-cloth used for wrapping awnings, awnings, it is treated with specialized impregnations:
- Teflon coating improves water-repellent properties, while creating a protective layer on the fabric from dirt and exposure to ultraviolet rays. The material with Teflon impregnation does not stretch over time, does not wrinkle and will not fade;
- antiseptic coating makes the fabric more durable, preventing the possibility of the formation on the surface of the mold and various kinds of fungi;
- UV filters are designed to provide travelers with maximum comfort in sunny weather, giving the fabric anti-glare properties.
Awnings and sheds for the terrace and the veranda are different and are divided into several groups depending on the design mechanism, control method and intended purpose.
One of the options for the design and protection of the terrace from wind and rain are awnings. Depending on the shape of the structure and appearance, they can be divided into the following types: attached and detached.
Attached canopies mounted close to the building, thus forming a space tightly closed on one side. This option is most often used to create a terrace near the entrance to the house.
Freestanding awnings – at its core, just a roof that stands on several pillars, often they are used to create a parking space for a car.
In shape, canopies emit straight, inclined and complex canopies. The first option is the easiest and cheapest, it is a single plane fixed on supports. The second design is more difficult to manufacture and install, but it allows rainwater or melting snow to drain without accumulating on the roof. Complex designs have a curved shape and are used to create an unusual exterior on the site.
Material for the manufacture of a canopy can serve almost anything. The main thing is that its characteristics ensure the stability of the roof to the effects of external conditions. The most common options are:
- professional flooring;
- metal tile;
The frame can be made of wood, metal, concrete, and even brick and stone.
Making a carport with your hands is quite simple. And sheeting for this is the most suitable option. This popular material is easy to purchase in the store and working with it does not require special skills and equipment. Installation of a canopy takes place in several stages:
- points of support are determined, and in these places pits are dug 50-60 cm deep;
- install vertical supports and pour them with concrete;
- about a week later, when the concrete hardens, horizontal beams are mounted;
- to the horizontal beams a crate is attached from pipes that will hold sheets of corrugated flooring;
- using self-tapping screws, the flooring is laid on the batten.
Sheds in the courtyard of a private house: photos of light and elegant designs. Shapes and design of sheds. Photo canopies for cars. Canopy from a profile pipe. Sheeting to cover canopies.
Thus, with minimal effort and money, you can equip yourself with a canopy that protects you from the sun, rain and snow on your site.
Depending on the purpose, there are different window (window), greenhouse (balcony), pergolny and vertical awnings. Consider each type of canopy in more detail.
Showcase (window) Marquise is an external curtain located vertically. It is designed to protect the premises from direct sunlight. Externally, it is a vertical canvas with a visor in the upper part of the design, which allows you to move the vertical of the canvas at a distance from the window frames. There are options and without a visor.
The amount of penetrating sunlight is easily controlled by opening or closing the hinged structure. The design of this awning is basically standard and is a support bracket located in the middle of the height of the window opening. The distance from the awning to the slopes is on average 10-15 cm. This is done so that in the open form the canvas protrudes from the wall at a distance of 60-100 cm.
Awnings for the terrace have a different design primarily because of its size and sail. Not infrequently they are called elbow awnings, since in this case one cannot do without a rigid structure in the form of a beam that is attached to the wall. Due to its size, such an awning has to be subjected to significant bending loads. So that the rigid frame could withstand all this, bearings are additionally used in the design.
Depending on desire, using various materials and racks of various design, it is possible to create summer arbors, rotundas or belvederes, which will become real masterpieces of landscape architecture.
Greenhouse (balcony) awnings – These are constructions of two or three sections, which create a “broken” roof with a visor. To control the ingress of sunlight, a special longitudinal beam is used, located in the middle of the flight. With its help, the awning and visor can be raised and lowered.
Pergol awnings used to create summer canopies around the house, open terraces, pergolas, rotundas, patios, and other most popular types of mobile country architecture. The peculiarity of this design is the presence of an additional two or more supports, designed to increase the strength of the structure, and increase its quality characteristics when exposed to wind load.
Vertical awnings – simple design, which is a vertical wall. Use them to create mobile arbors, as well as fencing pergolas.
Depending on the mechanism of construction, there are the following types of awnings: basket, lever-roll and awning.
Lever-roll mechanism equipped with two brackets that fold. By the principle of the device, they resemble hands, which unwind a web, wound on a special shaft. Rotating, the mechanism dissolves the awning and opens the Marquis.
Basket mechanism, or as it is also called the dome, is a structure consisting of several arcs that perform a support function. The shape of the arc can be any: round, oval, rectangular. They can be of any height and length, but they are all united by a common axis of rotation. Such a system is formed with the help of a lace mechanism – all arcs are connected by a special cord, which is fixed at the very bottom. Thus, by pulling the cord, the marquis can be collected, and if the cord is dissolved, the structure will open.
Marquis – a mechanism designed to ensure maximum stability of extended structures to strong winds. Its design consists of two parts: the top, on which the canvas is located vertically, and the bottom, on which the awning forms a visor. The ratio of parts of the structure is easily adjustable manually.
Depending on the method of controlling the awning, the following options can be distinguished:
- manual drive;
- electric drive;
- on the remote control.
Helpful advice! Especially for lovers of comfort, remote controls with various sensors were developed. So you can control the position of the awning, taking into account the strength of the wind and the intensity of the sun’s rays.
In order for your marquise to serve you as long as possible, it is recommended that you comply with the following operating rules:
- in cold weather, when the marquise is not claimed, it is recommended to “preserve” the structure with the help of a specially designed cover, or contact the specialists to dismantle the structure in integrity and safety;
- At least once a year it is necessary to carry out maintenance of the structure: change the lubricant (especially for retractable awnings) and regulate all elements of the product;
- It is forbidden to hang objects of various kinds on the marquise which may harm or provoke the fall of the structure or its parts;
- If your model of the awning does not have a sensor that regulates the force of the wind and, accordingly, the conditions that fold the canvas, then the design requires constant supervision. So, leaving the house for a long time, it is necessary to turn the Marquis, so that it will not be blown away by the wind during your absence.
Helpful advice! It is strictly not recommended to try to disassemble the structure. It is based on powerful springs, which, if handled carelessly, can cause serious injuries.
Like any other simple construction of this type, the marquise can be made independently. To do this, you will need to allocate a few hours of free time, purchase components and, of course, carry a set of necessary tools with you. Consider the step by step instructions for installing a conventional window awning:
- first of all, it is necessary to make a schematic drawing of the future awning, taking into account its dimensions, the height from the floor to the lower and upper points of the canopy, the width of the awning and the size of its extension from the wall;
- according to the drawing, purchase material for a canopy. For independent work, the best option is acrylic fabric. In addition, it has all the necessary technical characteristics;
- select and purchase the material from which the frame will be made. Here the undisputed leader is aluminum pipes, since they are very light, but at the same time strong enough to withstand the load created by the awning and are not amenable to corrosion. Although it is quite often possible to meet also frameworks from the enameled steel tubes;
- purchase a folding mechanism, and connect it with the frame and the canvas – the best solution to all functional problems;
- After all the components are purchased, you can proceed to installation. According to the scheme, the fabric is assembled and the fabric is cut out. The folding mechanism is attached to the wall and synchronized with the frame and the canvas.
Thus, if you use the ready-made folding mechanism, you can easily make the marquise yourself easily. On average, it takes 6 to 8 hours.
The frame for the awning can be not only metal, but also wooden. In this case, the bar is used, which is processed by a special antiseptic. It reduces the level of destructive effects of external factors. Then the tree must be painted or opened with ship varnish. However, even under these conditions, the wooden frame can not be called very durable. Anyway, the tree is subject to drying and absorption of moisture. And insects, despite all preventive measures, can cause significant damage to the material.
Canopies and awnings for summer cottage is not only a wonderful decoration of your site, but also an opportunity to use the territory adjacent to the house. No matter how great your financial capabilities, the price of the awning for the terrace and veranda in any case will please you. By creating or choosing unusual designs, you can give your possessions an original look and completely new functional qualities.