Waterproofing the foundation with rolled materials is the most effective and frequently used method of protection against the destructive effect of moisture from the concrete base of buildings and structures. From the quality of the implementation of waterproofing works depends on the strength and durability of such an important structural element as the foundation. Contrary to popular belief, it is not so difficult to make high-quality waterproofing of the foundation with your own hands. Video of the whole process with step by step comments is very much in the public domain. Here we consider information about the main waterproofing materials for the foundation and the technology of their application to the surface.
Classification of rolled waterproofing materials
All waterproofing roll materials produced by the modern building industry can be divided into 3 main types:
- Roll materials of pasting type. They are strips of waterproof material with different composition, twisted into rolls. Installation is carried out by sticking to the surface you want to protect, using adhesive mastic or, already applied to the material, sticky layer. For high-quality protection put several layers overlap. The most famous materials of this type are: roofing felt, glassine, stekloizol.
- Materials subjected to heating with a burner or a hair dryer during installation. Waterproofing the foundation with rolled materials by fusing provides very good adhesion to the surface to be protected. The softening effect of a special bitumen or polymer layer occurs with strong heating.
- Diffusion modern film membranes. This is a technological material, which due to the special device of the pores, is capable not only of protecting from external influence of moisture, but also removes water vapor from inside the room. Because of this, the foundation, waterproofed in this way, retains its strength and integrity for a very long time.
The first two types of rolled materials are used for the device of waterproofing waterproofing. The technology of each material has its own nuances, but there are general rules for all of them.
From the name itself it is clear that such materials are required to be glued onto the protected surface of the foundation. It is carried out in several steps:
- They make surface preparation, cleaning it from dirt, leveling irregularities and smoothing sharp corners.
- The application of primer mixtures, which include special primers that increase adhesion to the concrete surface.
- Foundation coating with mastics, which further increase adhesion to the foundation.
- Directly installation of the roll material by gluing several layers according to the instructions attached to it.
- Applying an additional layer of mastic on the surface of the material.
- The device is a protective or decorative layer in the form of brick or sheet materials, under which make insulation.
- Drainage works with partial backfilling of the foundation with primer. To do this, at a distance of 1 meter from the wall, a trench is being dug around the house into which the drainage pipe is being laid.
- The construction of the blind area. Its width should be 60 – 100 cm.
Waterproofing the foundation with rolled materials of the pasting type has a low cost, but is often associated with the need for “dirty work” and the use of open sources of fire.
Helpful advice! When constructing a blind area around a building, it is necessary to waterproof it with the same material as the foundation. This will provide additional protection against water flows from the roof, with their diversion away from the foundation.
Waterproofing membranes were invented not so long ago. They are made of polymeric materials using a special technology that provides excellent foundation protection against ground and surface water. Mounting technology makes this waterproofing very resistant to settlement and deformation of the foundation. Membrane materials are, for both vertical and horizontal waterproofing.
The vertical outer walls of the foundations experience significant permanent loads from the surrounding soil. For such surfaces is designed profiled membrane, which is able to distribute the load over the surface evenly. On the outer side of the material there are spike-like protrusions that perfectly protect the membrane from pressure. They accumulate moisture, which flows freely into the drainage device.
Waterproofing the foundation with rolled materials with a smooth structure is carried out while protecting its horizontal surfaces. The smooth film does not allow water to rise through the capillaries of the soil to the base of the foundation.
Installation of films for vertical and horizontal waterproofing produced by different technologies. Studded membrane is welded with a building hairdryer to special metal-plastic guides mounted on the walls of the foundation. Smooth film simply overlaps, and then is welded with hot air.
Works on the waterproofing of the foundation with rolled materials of the membrane type by the horizontal method are performed in the following order:
- Careful preparation of the ground plane. The base is cleaned of all types of dirt and grind all the projections and protruding pieces of reinforcement. In case of strong contamination that cannot be eliminated, geotextiles are stuck on the foundation.
- The inner corners are reinforced with a special tape or mastic of polymers. It is possible, in addition, to install on them fillets.
- Every 1.5 m. In length and 2 m. In height, the gondolas are attached to the surface, which are necessary to weld the membrane cloth onto them with hot air.
- The material is cut to the size of the foundation. Reserve allowances leave 10 cm.
- With a building dryer, the material is welded to the Rondela at several points. To find the right temperature, you need to experiment. It is especially necessary to boil the joints. This should be done by double stitching in 20 mm.
Helpful advice! Smooth membranes need to be glued from above with geotextile. To do this, use a special glue. This coating protects the waterproofing from damage. No need to protect studded and profiled materials.
Horizontal waterproofing is arranged to protect the lower surface of the foundation from groundwater. There is a lot of video on how to make such a waterproofing of the foundation with your own hands. However, it is worth analyzing the process in detail.
Since the film has enormous loads on the part of the entire monolith, the base must be prepared very well. At the bottom of the trench for the foundation is laid sand cushion, which is carefully tamped and leveled. Its thickness can reach 10 cm. Geotextiles with a density of 400 g / m are placed on the pillow.2 overlapped with an allowance of 15 cm, which is welded with a hot stream of air. Already on geotextiles lay the membrane with an overlap of 10 cm.
Helpful advice! At the junction points, the membrane should be welded with a double seam, so that a closed pocket is obtained, which is then inflated with a compressor to check the tightness. The pressure in this cavity should hold for about 20 minutes. If this condition is not met, the welding procedure is repeated.
On top of the waterproofing material is placed another layer of geotextiles, the density of which is 500 g / m2. It compensates for the load and provides additional protection against damage. On top of the additionally stack a film of polyethylene with a thickness of 200 microns. This will not allow the concrete to leak to the waterproofing layer. After that pour the monolith of the foundation. This can be considered complete horizontal waterproofing of the foundation with their own hands. Video of this technology allows you to visually see all the nuances of the process.
High-quality waterproofing of the foundation with rolled materials ensures its reliable and long-term operation, which affects the durability and safety of the entire building.