Liquid wallpaper on the Russian market appeared relatively recently, but they have already managed to conquer their special place among other finishing materials. Although many still prefer them to classic paper wallpaper, mistakenly believing that it is easier to work with them. We will understand in more detail what constitutes a finishing coating – liquid wallpaper, how to apply them to the wall and other surfaces. Whether or not their application is a difficult, time-consuming process that requires special preparation.
What is a liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper – this is, in fact, decorative plaster. On sale these wallpapers are presented in dry and liquid form, but the first option is more common. The price for packaging liquid wallpaper will depend on the manufacturer, the composition of the mixture and the type of filler. In dry form, they resemble sawdust, packaged in 1 kg packages.
The main components of this mixture:
- cellulose as well as cotton fiber;
- glue (most often it is KMS glue);
- decorative components (granules, chips, glitter, thread).
Dilute this dry mixture with plain water, and apply to the wall, like other types of finishing plaster, with a trowel or a spatula.
The end result is a beautiful, eco-friendly decorative coating, warm and rough to the touch, with excellent heat and noise insulation properties.
Since the composition involves the manufacture of paper, liquid wallpaper do it yourself pretty easy. In addition, there are full-fledged guides and videos: liquid wallpaper with their own hands.
This material has earned positive feedback from consumers all over the world due to its characteristic advantages:
- ease and simplicity of application. To prepare the mixture does not require a lot of space and expensive tools. The application process is so simple that it can cope even a non-professional;
- versatility. Liquid wallpaper compatible with almost any material: concrete, wood, drywall, fiberboard, MDF, plaster, plywood, paint and even metal. After drawing the seamless surface turns out, therefore it is not necessary to worry about joints, adjustments, etc. In addition, they are able to hide minor irregularities and depressions;
- good household indicators. Liquid wallpaper repels dust, resistant to temperature extremes, does not absorb odors, does not fade, is fireproof and is not subject to deformation;
- aesthetic appeal. This finishing material, due to its structure, allows you to create different variations of decorative solutions. Even professional designers are happy to apply liquid wallpaper. Photos of interiors, where this coating was successfully used, can be found on the Internet;
- affordable price. For the square meter of liquid wallpaper, the seller will take from 150 to 300 rubles.
Helpful advice! If the wall on which the liquid wallpaper is applied is dirty, then there is no need to completely update the coating. It is enough to moisten the desired area with water, remove with a spatula and fill this area with another diluted mixture.
Understanding which walls can be applied liquid wallpaper, it is easy – if you once again study the composition. The presence of the adhesive component allows you to apply this type of wallpaper on almost any surface. We will understand thoroughly what a liquid wallpaper, how to put them on the wall.
Liquid wallpaper is a very democratic finishing material, and for the application does not require a perfectly flat wall, therefore, large investments in the preparatory work is not required.
Liquid wallpaper can be applied to the plaster directly. But to obtain a quality result, it is advisable to prepare the surface:
- Remove all contamination from the walls, as well as old wallpaper, peeling plaster and paint.
- It is necessary to remove all protruding elements, for example, nails and screws. If the removal of some elements is impossible, they are required to be primed or painted over with water-based paint. For sealing metal protrusions using oil paint.
- Walls of plasterboard require puttying the entire surface, and not just joints.
- The entire surface under the application of liquid wallpaper must be primed. The primer is applied in 1-2 layers.
- The final stage of rough work will be applying a special putty for wallpaper. You can replace it with water-based paint.
Frequently asked questions regarding application:
- Can I apply liquid wallpaper to paint? If there is no blistering and peeling on the painted surface, the surface must first be primed using a deep penetration primer. After a day, you can apply directly liquid wallpaper.
- Is it possible to glue wallpaper on liquid wallpaper? First, the liquid wallpaper must be removed from the wall. It is easy to do: just soak them with water and clean with a tool. If the surface was well prepared before applying the liquid wallpaper, then it will be enough to apply several layers of primer. If the wall has not been sufficiently aligned, then all necessary preparatory work should be carried out before gluing the rolled wallpaper.
Important! It should be borne in mind that the color of the walls under the wallpaper should be uniform, preferably white, or in the same color scheme with wallpaper. Otherwise, after drying, darker areas will show through.
Before cooking, you should carefully read the instructions. Typically, the composition must be prepared in advance, about 5-10 hours before application. To prepare in a small container with warm water (20-40 degrees) pour the contents, pre-mixing the mixture itself, if its constituent components are packaged in different packages.
All proportions must be observed according to the instructions, but usually 4.5 liters of water per package (1 kg) is required. It should make a creamy consistency. If the resulting solution is too thick, you can add some more water.
Stirring can be done by hand, it is necessary to ensure that no lumps remain. Many experienced professionals do not recommend using a mixer for kneading, as in the presence of long threads and fibers, they can break.
Only one bag should be kneaded in one container at a time. Do not soak part of the package. It is necessary to immediately prepare such an amount of solution that will cover the wall from corner to corner so that the difference in transitions is not visible. The resulting solution must be drawn for several hours. Stir well before use.
If the composition assumes the presence of decorative elements (glitter, granules, etc.), first of all pour them into the water, and only then add the base. Liquid wallpaper with a picture (photos can be viewed on the Internet), as well as with decorative fillers look particularly interesting. If the components appear large, they can be self-ceilinged and added in ground form.
Applying a liquid wallpaper – the process is simple. The main thing is accuracy, care and desire. Special pleasure from the process will be received by people with a creative streak, as these wallpapers allow you to create various decorative ornaments and applications.
Necessary tools for application: spatula, grater, roller with textured relief (if a relief coating is supposed), special gun.
A positive temperature (not lower than 10 degrees) in the room is a prerequisite when applying liquid wallpaper.
A detailed description of how to apply liquid wallpaper on the walls (video material can be further studied) will make it possible to easily cope with the process.
How to apply liquid wallpaper on the wall? You need to take a small portion of the wallpaper with your hands or with a spatula, distribute it on the prepared surface. The whole process is no more difficult than putting ordinary plaster. Special graters are often used for grinding (they are slightly narrowed and made of transparent material). The required layer thickness is 2-3 mm, although for different types of wallpaper it may differ.
Press strongly on the tool is not worth it, but it is recommended to hold the grater at a small angle (5-15 degrees) relative to the wall. This will create a uniform layer of the desired thickness. To level it is necessary to move it in different directions, but it is possible to combine the direction of movement of the spatula, if the design provides for it. The principle of applying in the corners will help to understand the video: how to glue liquid wallpaper.