From this article you can find out what is such a cutting element, as a mill on a tree for a manual mill. The text sets out a detailed classification of products: the main types and features of parts, their technical characteristics and practical use. The article contains useful recommendations that will help determine the choice of cutters for hand tools.
What is a milling cutter, what is the purpose of this cutting element
The manual mill is a convenient and efficient tool designed for processing lumber, including shaped, as well as flat surfaces. In addition, this device is suitable for the formation of various technological grooves, for example, grooves, ridges, recesses for the installation of loops. It is enough to buy cutters of the appropriate configuration. Each such element has individual structural features and is used to perform certain functions.
Purpose of a manual mill on a tree:
- Edging processing – it is supposed to use a milling machine for splicing wood for a manual milling machine, when it is necessary to connect various blanks to each other by joining a tongue / groove.
- Insert loops and other accessories.
- Decoration – in this case, the cutters are used to form volumetric forms on the surface of flat products, as well as for the manufacture of wooden blanks with a complex configuration.
Professionals know dozens of options for using mills on a manual mill. However, in order to correctly determine the choice of cutting parts for the tool, it is desirable to examine the official classification of existing products. Having figured out what kind of milling cutters are and how to use them, it will be much easier to make a choice.
The first thing you need to pay attention to the unit of measurement of the diameter of the shank. For this, millimeters or inches can be used. The unit of measurement depends on the type of collets, which are included in the router. These components are designed to clamp the shank. If the size is calculated in millimeters, then the most common options will be products with a diameter of 6, 12 and 8 mm. If inches are taken as a unit of measurement, in this case it will be possible to buy mills for a manual milling cutter of only two sizes -? and?
Note! It is impossible to combine a millimeter shank and an inch collet and vice versa. This may cause the instrument to break.
There are dozens of variants of products with different purposes and cost on the market. If we consider the structural features of the cutting elements, we can distinguish the following types of cutters for wood for a manual router:
- Combined – have an appearance of a pig with the welded cutting edges. These cutters are very easy to manufacture, so most of the products on the market have a similar design.
- With interchangeable edges – the products are equipped with interchangeable cutting edges having double-sided sharpening. When the knife is blunt on one side, the cutter can be turned over and used further.
- Monolithic – mills, at the base of which the cutting edges are machined. They rarely break, but after a few sharpening the part will have to be changed.
Cutters can have a vertical, spiral or inclined arrangement of the blades. Products with straight edges will be cut from the workpiece pieces of wood, which increases the likelihood that in the process of cutting chips will appear. As a result, the quality of milling is significantly reduced. With inclined blades this does not happen.
Consumers can buy wood cutters with two types of blades:
- High-speed (HM) – used on surfaces made of softwood.
- Carbide (HSS) – used for processing hard surfaces.
Products with carbide blades have a higher temperature coefficient and have improved characteristics, which affects their value.
Cutters are rotary parts, studded with teeth. These items are available in various configurations. The cutters can be used for machining metal and plastic surfaces, but most often they are used for working with wood.
There are the following types of products:
- cylindrical or mortise lines;
- shaped elements, which are both slotted and edged;
- disk, etc.
Helpful advice! If you periodically lubricate the thrust bearing, you can increase the service life of the part.
End mills for wood for a manual milling machine have cutting edges on the front side of the working part. However, they work not only through the use of axial load. These cutters use the side edges, due to which it becomes possible to move the rotational element in the plane of the bearing pad on the router. As a result of this, various samples and grooves in the wood can be obtained. Such parts may have a different number of cutting edges, which affects the cleanliness of processing.
In most cases, end mills have a monolithic construction, but sometimes you can find composite, for example, crown, used as a cutter for a drill on a tree. This option is used in cases where there is no hand mill.
This product category includes the following types of cutters:
Face mills on a tree are applied to formation of grooves of various configuration and the size. They are suitable not only for the manufacture of wooden products, but also to create spike / groove connections. Therefore, often end mills refer to the category of grooving products.
Profile mills are an extensive group of components to perform such tasks:
- processing of the end part;
- formation of grooves with a complex configuration;
- surface decoration with ornaments.
In burrs for wood, there is another name – cone. They are intended for the manufacture of holes with a specific configuration. Such mills are used at the intermediate stage of processing. In addition, they can be used to finalize the configuration of some details.
Edging mills – the most common group, because hand tools are most often used for the manufacture of edges on products made of wood. Even in large sets, the main part of the parts are edge mills. This option is preferable for home craftsmen. It is easier to buy a set of cutters for wood for a manual router, than to select these elements one by one.
This group includes:
- profile – to give an intricate shape to the edges of the product;
- Kalevochnye or shaped – to round the edge, while receiving a convex shape on? circumference;
- conical – designed for chamfering at an angle, the most common option – 45 °;
- disk cutters for wood – for the formation of grooves in the edge of the product;
- faltsevye – designed to select a quarter in the edge of the product;
- fillet – used to perform the grooves in the edge on? circumference;
- Figiraeye – designed for the manufacture of edge panels.
In most cases, the edge milling cutters are equipped with a thrust bearing. This element restricts the movement of the instrument, preventing its penetration into the wood. In this case, the cutting part of the part may be located above or below the bearing. By setting the tool platform to a certain position, you can adjust the depth of the cutter.
Helpful advice! If the cutter makes large cuts, it is desirable to carry out the processing of the product in several stages, each time digging it into the material until the support bearing works.
In some cases, the bearing in the design of the cutter is missing. To work with such a detail you will need a template and a copy sleeve or a parallel stop. The size of the milling cutters depends on the height of the cutting part. If the profile has several roundings, then the manufacturer indicates the dimensions of the largest diameter that can be obtained using such a part. Moreover, the distance between the cutting parts can be adjusted at its discretion.
Horizontal milling cutters have a large diameter and weight. These elements require a lot of effort to cut, for this reason they are made exclusively with a 12 mm shank. These mills are intended for a milling cutter with a stationary design.
|Type of cutters||Type of||price, rub.|
|Slot||Fillet V-shaped||from 185|
|Straight lines||from 189|
|Constructional T-shaped||from 202|
|Edging||Straight lines||from 220|
|Milling adjustable||from 1500|
The existing range of components for a manual mill has several options for classifications. These products differ in construction, structure of the teeth, as well as the material of manufacture. Having selected a cutter with the required characteristics, you can create an edge, grooves, steps, grooves and other elements of the desired size and configuration in a wooden blank. In addition, cutting parts are used to install various functional and structural elements. For example, loops, locks, latches.