Variants of finishing the attic with their own hands, photos of which are striking with the non-standard of their architecture, need to be studied before starting the finishing works in the attic. An important difference between the attic and other areas of the house is the structure of its walls. Rather, everyone decides for himself, the walls or ceiling will be the slopes of the roof, located on the sides of the room. It depends on the method of decoration and interior design.
Preliminary work before facing the attic
In the attic, if desired, you can turn even an ordinary attic with steep slopes, reaching to the very floors. For this it will be enough to build low walls on both sides. In this case, the original and practical solution would be to insert the ceiling windows and decorating the supporting beams of the truss system.
House with a mansard: photos, projects, especially layouts. Advantages, disadvantages and features of various layouts of the residential attic floor. Create a project yourself.
If you make high-quality insulation and finishing of the attic floor, this will allow you to acquire several fully-fledged rooms. It is necessary to formulate several principles that should be adhered to when working on weatherization:
- Ramps should be perfectly protected from various precipitation and wind. They must withstand wide temperature fluctuations;
- insulation of the roof is not only inside but also outside. This gives a good guarantee that freezing and drafts can be avoided even in the most severe winter;
- as a warming finish attic rooms, in addition to the actual insulation, you should use drywall or magnesite and cement-bonded chipboards that retain heat well;
- the whole “cake” of warming should contain an inner layer of vapor protection and an outer layer of weather protection. This will prevent the formation of condensation inside the walls and will not allow the wind to penetrate under the skin.
Next, we analyze each stage of finishing work in more detail.
To properly make the floor in the attic, you will need to create a sound insulation layer inside the ceiling. For this purpose, any sound insulation material can be used. Mineral wool copes well with this task. Mattresses from it are laid out between the ceiling beams, not forgetting to pre-lay a film on them. The thickness of the mineral wool can be from 5 to 10 cm. Claydite, granulated penoizol or polystyrene crumb are well suited. These measures at the same time and warm the floor in the attic.
Helpful advice! It is not necessary to use foam as sound insulation. It absorbs sounds poorly, but it is popular with mice, which gnaw at it with pleasure and make nests in it.
On top of the beams should be laid rough floor. If the beams are located less than 40 cm apart, then you can put plywood, DSP or other similar sheet material directly on them. If the beams are far away, then you must first lay boards (not cut) with a thickness of at least 3.5 cm. The main condition is that the draft floor should not bend when walking. Already on them the same plywood is fastened on screws.
Variants of finishing the attic do-it-yourself (photo proof of this) imply the use of a wide variety of finishing floor coverings. You can use all the same materials as in ordinary rooms: laminate, linoleum, carpet and even ceramic tile (if a bathroom or kitchen will be placed in the attic).
For laying parquet or laminate flooring, a special substrate must be laid on the floor, which will provide not only the softness of the floating floor, but also provide additional sound insulation. For laying tiles required device cement screed with the mandatory use of reinforcing mesh.
Partially or completely the walls of the attic room is the roof. If the house was originally built with an attic, then the insulation should be carried out immediately after the erection of the truss system. To this end, boards or plywood are hemmed to the bottom of the rafter feet, and a vapor barrier is placed on top of them.
This should be done correctly by reading on the package which side it should be laid. A heater is laid over the membrane, it is attached, and the sheathing of the sheathing under the roofing material is nailed onto the rafter legs. All this is closed with a wind-proof film and the roof is mounted.
As a result, the roof slopes will have good thermal insulation. In another embodiment, decorating the attic with their own hands (the photo will not allow slaves) is made after the construction of the house. In this case, the heater is hemmed from the inside, and already on it walls are made of plasterboard, plywood or other sheet material. Warming of the front walls of the attic is similar.
When we finish the walls in the attic with drywall, we repeatedly win, as it allows you to immediately level and warm the walls, it is easy to process and install, it can be decorated with any finishing material, even wallpaper. In addition, drywall allows you to create various architectural “excesses” such as niches, arches and columns. The technology of finishing the attic with gypsum board sheets is no different from the method of finishing any other room.
One of the mainstream trends in the design of the attic floor is the finish of its eurolining. Although this is one of the oldest ways, it has not lost its relevance in modern designers. If you initially plan to sheathe the attic floor with wood, then you do not need to create plasterboard walls.
It will be enough to hem the boards close to each other to the rafters. Even better, if they have a groove and a comb, like a floor batten. Lining in this case, it will be possible to mount directly to the walls without erecting an additional frame.
The wealth of options for wooden decor allows the use of clapboard in a completely different way:
- painting lining boards with light tones mixed with dark ones will very effectively highlight this decorative facing in the interior;
- if you use a block house, you can very elegantly divide the room into different zones. In this case, the visible details of the truss system can be contrasted with the walls. They can be stained with the stain of the most appropriate color;
- very appropriately there will be wallpaper with silk-screen printing on a plywood base all over the wall. This decoration should be framed with a decorative molding;
- the antique furniture “semi-antique” is particularly effective with similar walls.
Helpful advice! Does your interior get a bit boring? A decorative stone that can decorate a small fragment of the wall is able to revive it.
For some, mounting the eurolining on the frame is preferable to other options for finishing the attic with their own hands. Photos of this process can consistently illustrate the order of the work:
- we buy the lightest breeds of eurolining, which include: maple, ash, fir, spruce. This will visually slightly increase the space;
- we will need rails 5-15 cm wide;
- we connect them with each other with a ready groove and a comb;
- before you start mounting on the walls we fill the frame with a lath 15×45 mm through a gap of 50 cm;
- lining fastened with special brackets or small nails to a properly constructed frame;
- then cover the surface of the rails with a protective film. For this purpose, we use varnish, stain or mastic.
Helpful advice! In order to slightly dilute the completely monotonous interior walls of eurolining, you can use MDF paneling. They create harmony in the interior, warmth and durability. Particularly impressive is the bottom of the wall, which is decorated with MDF coated with cork, and wooden skirting and all kinds of slats are better to make a little darker.
As we see, there are numerous options for finishing the attic with your own hands. Photos of many of them tell us that we can do this too. The main thing here is to show imagination and accuracy. In this case, do not forget about the recommendations that we gave you. Just finishing the attic inside will expand the territory to a bright and spacious private office, an excellent billiard room, gym or living room.