From this article, you can learn how to make the beds yourself not like everyone else: interesting ideas for creating a beautiful suburban area with an unusual design, good examples and photos, step-by-step technologies and recommendations. The information will help to orient in the choice of a suitable design, material and think over the size, as well as the nature of placement of the beds for growing vegetables.
Do-it-yourself garden beds not like everyone else: interesting ideas and recommendations for their implementation
Most often, the beds for suburban areas are classified according to the type of material on which they are made. However, aesthetic and functional aspects of the issue are of no small importance. Therefore, before proceeding to the choice of material, it is necessary to determine the shape of the beds, their purpose and location on the site.
The planning phase is crucial. In the network you can find a lot of good photo design beds on the garden for use on your site. Careful planning of the upcoming construction and drawing up the draft will save you from errors, will allow you to optimize the work and get a beautiful neat garden.
In areas with a small area, it is recommended to select the corner version of the beds. In such situations, radial or radial breakdown schemes will be optimal. Plantations distributed along the radial pattern will also look good along the fence. They will perfectly fit into the design of the site, even if you include them in the design of the area in front of the house.
If the area of the suburban area is large enough, then the central path will be the best place for arranging the beds. Along it, you can set the design of a rectangular or circular shape.
Helpful advice! Flowerbeds can easily replace beautifully created home-made beds, photos of home-made designs with planted cabbage, pumpkin or salads of different varieties look just as good. Spectacular obtained combination of plants of different colors.
If you plan to plant various vegetable crops, you should definitely take into account the compatibility of the selected plants, otherwise you can not hope to get a big harvest from the beds. Especially for these purposes, there are compatibility tables, which indicate information about how successful the neighborhood of certain vegetables and plants will be.
Not the last place in the design of the beds is assigned to their size – height, length and width. The dimensional parameters of products have a direct impact on such nuances as:
- protection of plantations against freezing;
- the appearance of the beds;
- level of complexity of construction;
- plant care system, its simplicity.
The width of the structures can be any. The most commonly used standard parameters – 80-90 cm. This is quite enough to plant the plants in 3 rows. The beds, the width of which does not exceed 90 cm, are convenient to use, since a person can reach its central part from either side on the sides. Therefore, if it is intended to arrange narrow beds for vegetables, it is more convenient not to think of an option. Especially when it comes to planting plants near the fence. In this case, it is better to organize the beds, the width of which does not exceed 50 cm. This will greatly facilitate the care of plantings.
The height of the beds should be chosen more carefully. Plants planted on the dais are subject to freezing. This mainly concerns perennials, because the snow layer, which protects the planting from frost, accumulates in greater quantities at ground level. On high beds, this system does not work, so they should be used exclusively for planting annuals. Perennials feel better if the height of their beds does not exceed 15 cm.
During the design of the beds you need to not forget about the paths between them. Tracks can be made in different ways. Most often for the arrangement of paths used:
- lawn grass;
- stone or paving slabs.
In a functional sense, the paths do not differ much from each other, therefore their design, as a rule, is based on the personal preferences of the site owner.
Note! It is desirable that the tracks are in harmony with the material for the beds. If these products are wooden, footpaths can be sown with lawn grass or decorated using round cuts of trees. For beds of stone or brick tile, stone blocks or crushed stone will be suitable.
The paths on the site will perform the function of traffic arteries, and will also be a decoration of the garden, making it harmonious, neat, well-groomed.
The most common materials for the manufacture of beds – stone, boards, bricks. Popular products made of steel with a zinc coating or plastic. Often designs are made of flat slate for the beds.
Instructions for creating fences for garden beds are universal. First prepare the soil, then? aligned. A marking is applied along the perimeter of the bed. After that, according to it, the material selected for the fence is selected. Some summer residents prefer to buy a flat slate for garden beds. Lovers of natural materials will love wood and stone. Plastic, brick and metal have optimal characteristics. Unusual designs of gabions are a vivid example of the combination of metal mesh with brick or stone.
When you create your own borders for the beds should follow certain rules:
- The fence should not be too high. Otherwise, the plants will be in the shade, which will not do them good. The optimal height is in the range from 10 to 30 cm.
- Framing should be neat. It should emphasize the shape of the beds.
- The material should be installed tightly so that the fertile layer of the earth does not wake up to the path. Due to this, during the irrigation of plantings water will not spread outside the bed.
The aesthetic side is also important. It is desirable that the fence was concise and optimally fit into the landscape design of the site.
The beds are suitable for growing vegetables and herbs. Provided successful design for decoration, they can compete even with flower beds and flower beds, offering not only beauty, but also a harvest.
Note! There are many design options for creating beds with your own hands, photos of the most successful examples can be safely used for inspiration. Just turn on the fantasy.
With the embodiment of some interesting ideas you can cope on your own:
- high beds – a great option for those who do not want to bend down low. This type of construction contributes to the rapid warming of the soil and accelerated growth of plantings;
- round – require scrupulousness during the design and planting of plants. They will effectively look like tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and radishes, as well as beets;
- multi-level or “matryoshka” – are used on small areas in order to save space;
- ladders – used for construction boards. This type of beds is ideal for areas with hilly terrain;
- vertical – most often such constructions are represented by fixed wooden boxes for seedlings or beds for strawberries from plastic pipes. Products are fixed on the wall vertically, which saves space. The designs allow you to grow only certain types of plants. In addition to strawberries, it is allowed to grow cucumbers, lettuce, onions and greens in them;
- Suspended – designed for growing strawberries or greens. It is convenient to look after them as it is not required to bend over.
The process of preparing the beds for onions in spring practically does not differ from the scheme according to which the carrots are planted. These crops have similar growing conditions and can become excellent neighbors. Onion seeds are also recommended to mix a small amount of sand. Subsequently, he will facilitate the harvest. Garlic needs mineral fertilizers and plenty of sun, and organic fertilizers like tomatoes. To obtain a rich harvest of potatoes will require double digging of the soil in autumn and spring. Beets grow well on soil with compost or humus.